Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Not taking off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Not taking off

Today I was testing and tuning and all of a sudden my rig stopped. Thought it might be a low battery but it was at 8.00volts. If I hit forward it doesn't do anything unless I tap the rig forward. This happens in reverse as well. The other night I replaced the stock plastic gears with Hot Racing steel ones and a Hot Racing hard anodized 88t gear, greased all gears. If it helps my ESC is a CC Mamba Max. Once I get it moving it will keep going unless I stop for a second or two. Does this mean my motor is trying to die?
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
cherry bomb

sounds like a bunk motor to me, my scaler would do the samething when I got the motor all wet, you could try cleaning it out and see, your best bet would be to try another motor if you have one.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

my son spends half his time under water and i just replace the brushes.
Ramset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What would I use to clean it? The motor is a HH Colbalt 7t puller and would hate to lose it.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sounds like one of the brushes is not making good contact.Check to see if one of them is hung up.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Either that or one of the springs fell off.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ok checked the springs they are good. Took the end off cleaned the brushes and the comm. Put it back together and same thing. I marked the comm with a marker where it had trouble starting up. If I stopped and the one area is near the brush it till not take off til I rotate it to the right or left to get it clear of the brushes.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

This probably isn't the case, but just to eliminate the easier things first how about loosening the motor mount so that it's not contacting the spur gear, and see how the motor reacts with no resistance.

It's been a really long time ago, but I had something similar happen a to mine that turned out being that the gear mesh had gotten too tight and had nothing to do with the motor. I could pick the rig up and it would run, but once the tires were on the ground it wouldn't move. Just something to try since you replaced the plastic gears.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I left the motor out after I cleaned it and tried it out. I just tried a Integy V10 55t and it wouldn't run either. However if I hook either motor straight to a 7.2volt battery it takes right off. Starting to think it's the Mamba Max,
Old 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That would suck. Got another TX/RX that you could try out?
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would try calibrating the esc again. Make sure the voltage cut off is set right. Maybe when it surges at startup it kicks it out. Just a thought. I have a castle link if you don't. It makes it much easier.

Tim
stolps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

With the Mamba Max it just needs a USB cable, thanks for the offer tho. Well I tried the puller again on a 7.2 battery and if the brushes are touching one area of the comm it will not move. If I grab the gear and turn it right or left to clear that area of the comm it takes off. Also noticed on with my ESC if I turn on the remote then plug in the battery it won't take off, til I turn the remote off then back on. When I can I plan to try and get the puller fix or get a new motor and ESC.