Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Driveline problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Driveline problem

Ok guys this maybe a newbie question and there may be threads that answer my questions but I can't find them, so if someone can point me in the right direction please do... Anyway on with my question, I bought a used AX10 and within 10 minutes of playing with it one of the driveshafts popped off the trans out put shaft, after attempting a few fixes we finally drilled all the way thru the output shaft and and put a small nut and bolt thru it, OK so problem fixed right? Well no sooner than we got that fixed now the driveshafts are spinning on the shaft coming out of the axle. No matter how much I tighten the set screw down within just a few minutes of crawling it's spinning again, what I'm trying to figure out is what I need to do to fix this problem once and for all. I don't want to spend the money on aftermarket driveshafts just to have those spinning to.... Has anybody else experienced this problem? And if so what did you do to fix it? I appreciate any answers and hopefully I can actually get to crawl with this thong instead of constantly putting the shafts back on lol
Lowdown89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Try this out
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1542.htm

Also sounds like you may need to buy the ends that the pinion attatches to are they pretty marred up?
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Loktite? Lets see some pics
losichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers1 View Post
Try this out
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1542.htm

Also sounds like you may need to buy the ends that the pinion attatches to are they pretty marred up?
The output shaft was pretty marred up but the nut and bolt thru it fixed that problem for now, now it's just the axle side that keeps spinning and surprisingly the flat part on the axle where the set screw goes isn't marred up at all, nut it still, spins and I tried loktite, it seems no matter now hard I tighten it down it will still spin on the shaft, I can drive it around easy and it works fine but as soon as I go to crawling up something or really giving it some throttle it will spin and when it flexes pop right off axle I will take sme pics of it tomorrow I tried taking pics with my phone but they all turn out blurry
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You could try Maxx shafts and upgrading to wheely king inputs. They are 6mm instead of 5mm, so that should help a little.

But the only time I had your problem was before using lock-tight.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had that same problem with my ax10 when I got it. I took both drive shafts off to make sure that the flats on the shafts would line up with the holes in the driveshafts for the set screws. Also use use loc tight and be sure to let it cure. I let mine set 24 hr. Before crawling again and I haven't had that problem anymore. My driveshafts have come apart but no spinning on the shafts.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I only let the locktite set up for 30mins or so, so maybe that's my problem. One ting I noticed tho was after tightening it down if I pulled on it, it would come off the shaft on the axle, it wouldn't spin but it would pull off. How easy should the stock driveshafts slide in and out? I have noticed mine are very very hard to slide. I tired greasing them but not much luck... Sorry if it seems like im rambling I just know that I have worked on it more than I have played with it and I'm jonesin like a addict to play with it! Haha
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Try to Bend it

If you have drive shafts with metal yolks an easy fix that was suggested to some one else was to drill out and tap the grub screw hole to M4. this will give you a much stronger bite on the axle out drive.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks highlucks I'm going to have to try that until I can get some aftermarket shafts and the upgraded output shafts