Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Ugc fastback+usrcca rules interpretation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ugc fastback+usrcca rules interpretation

Moderator, feel free to move if this is in the wrong place.

I have a big package! Ok, let me explain what I mean. My motor hangs out the side of my chassis by a fair amount, I have read the post about fitting a tranny into this chassis and saw the suggestions on trimming the motor plate. In my case its not the motor plate ad much as it is the motor, trimming the plate wouldn't do much. On running a 45t integument lathe motor until I step up to a handwound.

Here's the question, would the side panels I made be considered legal? I had to make a cut out on the motor side panel to clear the motor, the alternative would be to use standoffs which would look like poo but also cause a potential hang up point on the rocks. I thought about CA gluing in a "hump" to make the panel one solid piece, although it technically is one solid piece as is. The rules state that side panels must be one solid piece that is structurally seperate from the chassis, can someone give me some advice?

I haven't seen anyone else running into this issue, is the integument can just larger or are others drivers just dealing with the bulge? I'm trying to make panels that fit as flat as possible without any unsightly gaps if possible. Thanks for the looonnnggggg read, Daniel

day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Panels are not legal as shown, and leave the motor hanging unprotected. I would use a curved piece and cover the motor
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
I have a big package!
Yea me too!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had an idea, Juan has templates for the chassis that show sideplates for the small sides of the cab, these would cover the rear cutouts on the cab portion, I have only seen one other rig running these panels. The rules don't state where the side panels have to be located at I'm regards to the "sides", would this work? I'm in no way trying to skirt the rules, I could have a flying rig and I would still get my butt handed to me. I just want to play with my toys and don't want to be shut out by a judge that says I'm not legal.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I guess tecnically it is 'legal' at least 1" tall at one point and 2.5" long at on point, that look covered, unsure about the hole in the middle though, no longer a solid piece.

I'd just deal with the bulge and protect your motor.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think I've read every fatsback build on here over the last 3 days and I don't think I've ever seen a motor hang that far out...

I'm with dickyt though, curved panel may not look as good, but it will be legal and help protect your motor.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Make a panel that bulges around the motor.
BTW, there is an extensive thread cover this topic... though it did kinda go into random talk and lots of interpretation... it definitely will address what you are asking.

just look for "solid panels"

EDIT: here you go...
Gas, Liquid, or Solid?
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Make a panel that bulges around the motor.
BTW, there is an extensive thread cover this topic... though it did kinda go into random talk and lots of interpretation... it definitely will address what you are asking.

just look for "solid panels"

EDIT: here you go...
Gas, Liquid, or Solid?
Wow, that thread went south pretty quick. Interpretation would be a understatement, is there a material that I could form around the motor? When I think lexan, I think of the stuff at OSH, even the thinnest stuff doesn't bend very well. I would like something that can truly form as opposed to just bending it around everything, the strain placed on a panel that's bent around parts seems to cause a failure point around screw holes when it takes a good hit. Can I get strong thin flexible lexan from my LHS, possibly something that I can apply heat to?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You can form lexan with a heat gun That being said I never had issues with mine and the bulge and when I sold it to Irok22s the panels were pretty thrashed looking.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Does anyone have the side panels drawing btw? I'd like to make my own here.
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post
Does anyone have the side panels drawing btw? I'd like to make my own here.

I might still have it. PM me your e-mail address and I'll take a look through my external drive.

edit: confirmed, I do have it, shoot me your e-mail address in PM Bogdan!

Last edited by DickyT; 01-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You don't have to "form" the lexan around the motor. When you attach it, it will naturally bend around the motor. You WANT something covering your motor. I wouldn't try to sidestep the regs to get your motor hanging out the side.

On mine, both sides body panels are mirror images. The one over the motor just doesn't overlap the chassis as much at the top and bottom.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
You don't have to "form" the lexan around the motor. When you attach it, it will naturally bend around the motor. You WANT something covering your motor. I wouldn't try to sidestep the regs to get your motor hanging out the side.

On mine, both sides body panels are mirror images. The one over the motor just doesn't overlap the chassis as much at the top and bottom.
I'm not trying to side step the rules, I just want the cleanest look I can get. I'm big on symmetry, its like a bit of OCD I think. I understand the lexan will bend around the motor, what I'm shooting is a flat to the chassis fit of the panels at the top and bottom with a formed hump for the motor. I revised my current panels to meet the rules required, I'm happy with the exception of the gap at the bottom of the panels. Im off for 3 weeks, I may try to lay some fiberglass down over motor side, this would give me that fitted look as well as strength. I have been using different composite plastics for panels, DVD cases/sign stock etc, it has good flexibility but lacks impact resistance.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

That looks link a spot to catch and hang up on rocks. Function over Form bud
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I have an idea that might get your motor back inside your rig a bit and get you back to the good. How bout dropping a bunch of teeth in the spur and then dropping a bunch in the pinion as well. This should put you in a position of having to wedge the motor back up against the tranny more. You will definitely have to take a dremel to the motor plate at that point.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=brian3323;2859616]That looks link a spot to catch and hang up on rocks. Function over Form bud[/QUouldn't

I agree, that'd part of the reason I cut the bottom of the panels off just short of the skid, I'll run it and see how she works. The fiberglass idea has me intrigued, custom formed and strong, maybe do it with carbon cloth. What thinkness lexan should I look for if I go a different route?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I have an idea that might get your motor back inside your rig a bit and get you back to the good. How bout dropping a bunch of teeth in the spur and then dropping a bunch in the pinion as well. This should put you in a position of having to wedge the motor back up against the tranny more. You will definitely have to take a dremel to the motor plate at that point.

I was going to ask what pinion you are running as well. On mine I trimmed my motor plate and the bulg is barely noticable. If you have gone to a larger pinion, that may be the source of your problem.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I actually dropped down a size on my pinion recently, I like wheelspeed so I tend to run a larger pinion. I'll drop it down and see if I can get it to tuck in a little better. The bulge isn't noticeable able as it currently stands, that's because of the spacers I used under the panels. As far as the gap catching of rocks, I don't see it being much different than the gap you would have on a bodied rig. With the size of the sedonas, it narrows down the gap between the tires, hopefully it won't pose an issue.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Here is how i did my side panels. On the motor side, i trimmed the motor plate even with the motor. Hardly any bulge at all.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
You can form lexan with a heat gun That being said I never had issues with mine and the bulge and when I sold it to Irok22s the panels were pretty thrashed looking.

Other than the fact that this thing looks like it's been through a war zone, it's easily one of, if not the most tweaked and tested Fastbacks out there. I would go with how DickyT did his, protect your motor and curve the side panel over it. Making the panels wide at the bottom negates the benefit of the skid being narrow.

Interested in seeing what you decide on...good luck
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote