Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Vanquish Dig with HS-225 servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Tossin' Salad

Default Vanquish Dig with HS-225 servo

Recently, I did a rebuild, as my rig jumped into a pool. Also, the dig servo was broken. So, I decided to go with the mini servo mount for the Vanquish dig. I opted for the HS-225 servo.

I took the dig apart, cleaned it out..and regreased it. I assembled everything back the way it was ( at least I think so ) and added the mini servo bracket.

Well, since doing this mod, I have not yet been able to get the servo to lock the dig. I can adjust the travel of the servo horn and the sub trim all day long...and the damn servo just is not strong enough to hold the dig into the locked position. I can easily use the drive position, and it holds it no problem...also free wheel is no issue. But, the locked dig position pretends to hold...but as soon as I give it some juice, it slips on and off. I can grab a tire with my hand and force it to roll very easily. It is behaving as if the locking mechanism is ground down. But, it isnt.

So, the stupid question I must ask...did I assemble the dig incorrectly? Do I need to add grease to (X) location?
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I've run a Hitec 225 on my Hurtz dig since I installed it and have no problems. First I would remove the linkage and manually lock the dig and check for the problem again. Also check the servo travel. Hold a slight pressure and run it through the 3 positions. If it slips again you may have a gear missing a few teeth.

Last edited by ram_tough; 01-14-2011 at 07:34 AM.
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would double check the set screws on the dogs to make sure they are not slipping.
See65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I have also heard some comments about the arm of the vp dig having a worn part. You might check to see if the knob on the arm is not causing "float".
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Im with rickM KC.
I run a HXT9 9g micro heli servo that only puts out 1.2kg torque at stall so a 225 is plent strong.
I had no issues with the small servo until one day it started to slip when climbing vert.
Pulled my dig off, the shifter arm had worn to the point where it wouldnt engage 4wd.
Replaced that, no issues.
Check there first.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Tossin' Salad

I really appreciate the responses guys.

After some further investigation, I think I found the culprit. As I mentioned, I used to use a fullsize servo (the stock steering servo from the AX10). This servo effectively places the servo horn at height X...lets say. But, when switching to the HS-225 servo, the horn now moves upward by a small amount. This is what was causing my issue. The rod end of the link was contacting the servo horn at full lock not allowing it to go any further...but it was right on the edge of being able to work. So, I just used some washers and spaced the rod end away from the servo horn a bit. For now, at least, it seems to have cured the issue.

I will report back with any other information if I get some.
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote