Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Meet the Mud Puppy Crawler (lots of pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Meet the Mud Puppy Crawler (lots of pics)

My AX10 was bought used and then built with whatever parts I could beg, borrow or trade for. If you are wondering why I used a particular part (eg: Integy upper links) it's probably just that it is what I had, could trade for, or buy cheap used.
First thing I did when I got it home was swap the too long and too stiff stock springs for some Slash 4x4 springs I had kicking around. This made a semi-droop setup that seems to work fairly well.

I also ditched the stock body in favour of an HPI truggy body that I got free, just to look different.
Next a set of Losi Comp-Claws I that got cheap with the truck went on, and it was ready for some fun.

Flex was good but balance was top-heavy, and torque twist was ridiculous.
First I helped the balance by putting Saddle Pack NiMh batteries on the front axle and relocating the ESC to the front upper 3-link. This improved crawling but made the torque twist even more apparent, so it was time to play with the suspension. An Xtreme racing carbon fiber side plate set, Axial Aluminum lower links and Integy upper triangular 3-link went on using Traxxas ball ends. The lower arms were covered with heat-shrink to help them slide, and Aluminum steering links went on at the same time. About this point the ESC and servo packed in, so a Traxxas ESC and cheap servo went in.

Now I was getting some decent performance, but torque twist as still bugging me so I started getting really in-depth with the suspension. First I put a limiting strap on the front to keep it from unloading, and then I did this abomination and eliminated 85% of the twist.

Christmas was around the corner, so I added an East End machine triangulated skid to the wish-list ( I had already butchered the stock one to inboard the links, but decided to try the real thing). This virtually eliminated the last of the twist, and now I can climb anything I can get traction on.

I have lost a slight bit of flex, but the performance is 50 times better overall.
Next I decided I wanted to be able to run my bug body off my slash, so I got a proline vertical body mount kit. Unfortunately the holes did not come even close to the bug body hole locations, so I butchered the stock suspension links to use as extensions.

And, last but not least, I also got a Comanche body for Christmas, so I decided to try to at least vaguely impersonate a scaler by picking up some used flat-irons and adding some spare parts from a broken New_Bright Jeep and one side of a cut up old Rock Lizard.

I still need some rock rails, a fairlead, and a few other small details to finish it.

Since the scaler parts all are attached to the body it only requires four screws to remove them and go back to comp trim.

Last edited by Mud Puppy; 01-19-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

nice you should realy get a scale chassis
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Good start!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicostaxxs007 View Post
nice you should realy get a scale chassis
Sooo tempted, but the amount I could spend on scaler parts scares me
Of course if an SCX-10 comes up for sale for a steal of a deal I will be forced to buy it

Instead I will keep (for now) with the all-pupose crawler and keep adding details to it.
A licence plate for example
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Neat that you turned it into a scaler!

I always like reading budget threads. Lots of good ideas and unique solutions.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

real nice build you got there. Whats the budget up to now on it?
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
real nice build you got there. Whats the budget up to now on it?
That depends on whether you count cash or trade/parts value.

Cash is only around $200, and that includes the new body and all new radio gear.

Adding in value of trades - $310
Adding in value of parts I already had - $380

Woof. I never should add this stuff up.

Last edited by Mud Puppy; 01-19-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Puppy View Post
Sooo tempted, but the amount I could spend on scaler parts scares me
Of course if an SCX-10 comes up for sale for a steal of a deal I will be forced to buy it

Instead I will keep (for now) with the all-pupose crawler and keep adding details to it.
A licence plate for example

TCS X-Trail chassis is the way to go for a scale chassis but it looks fine just the way it is. Good Job!
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #9

Cool build. I like the idea of keeping it on a budget. Props to ya man.
ndeepoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote