Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Ax10 metal 70 tooth spur

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Ax10 metal 70 tooth spur

Anybody know of a metal 70 tooth 48 pitch spur gear that will fit the ax10? Also any feedback on the vanquish ax10 alloy trans case? Are they worth the $.

Thanks
Martin
Walldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about the VP alloy trans, but you can get a Golden Horizon Al tranny case for $13+S&H.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
Not sure about the VP alloy trans, but you can get a Golden Horizon Al tranny case for $13+S&H.
Yep saw those , thanks, I read somewhere that the alloy was a better grade in the VP though and better finish, might still be worth a try considering the price difference
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My question is why would you want to add weight to your rig when the stock case is much lighter? The problem with adding weight with a heavier tranny case is it sits high above your axle center line moving your center of gravity up when down is the best way to go. Personally I'd take a pass on the metal case.

The gear is in the same logic I bet it's heavier than plastic.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
My question is why would you want to add weight to your rig when the stock case is much lighter? The problem with adding weight with a heavier tranny case is it sits high above your axle center line moving your center of gravity up when down is the best way to go. Personally I'd take a pass on the metal case.

The gear is in the same logic I bet it's heavier than plastic.
Plastic deforms and threads strip, the weight gain is so negligible as not to worry my fat ass crawler anyway
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

The stock case is 1/2 ounce, the VP case is 1 oz. From what I've read, a 72 tooth spur is the minimum that will work with the Axial trans, unless your running a really big pinion. I don't know of any metal spurs that size.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I ran a 75 tooth spur at one time, had to do some grinding to use pinions in the 21-23t range, way to high gear for a crawler(I was new, and stupid enough to run CKRC "stage two", add in the extra size of a brushless motor and thats what it took for the motor to clear the upper link). I doubt a brushed motor could even pull that gear. I saw the light and changed chassis and went 12/93.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldog View Post
Plastic deforms and threads strip, the weight gain is so negligible as not to worry my fat ass crawler anyway
I've never had a issue with a stock gear deforming or stripping and I occasionally run a 4S battery with a 5 lbs 2.2 ounce Axial based rig. I also run stock the stock Axial tranny gears for the same reason weight just to just get a lower CG.

Put that "fat ass" on a diet you just might like it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote