Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Project Hack Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project Hack Job

Well as the title says this is my AX1o RTC A.K.A Hack Job

This isnt a real build thread because ADHD sometimes doesnt allow for pictures but I did manage to get a few and here they are.

SPECS

Tenkin FXR 35t combo 3s blue sky lipo
30* rear links and straight fronts
Stock servo "suprisingly stout actually"
home brew 4 linked rear and soon to be front
home brew servo/batt/4 link plate
In borded lower links
outside the chassis shocks

on order when cash comes in

sedonas and some sort of rims
mild trq sevo....still looking for the right one

Any and all comments sugestions flamming whatever is welcomed

Inbording my lower links

Oh yes the prize and joy+ 3s lipo= I need to add the carnage pic

This is what happends when you velcro slips while soldering lil button trim and shes good to go

Fabbed up rear 4 link with adjustment holes. still needs finishing but you get the picture

front battery servo tray yet again needs finishing

Nice and flat link geometry

Nice view of the triangulation

Welp thats it so far hope youve enjoyed my Hack Job because even though she looks like a damn Xmas tree and is all hacked up I gotta love her
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

thanks I havent tried it out yet but in my hands..I figure it will do real well on the rocks with minor adjustments
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Mkay guys I know most people arent interested in my project but I figure Id update just in case someone would like to see.

AS ALL WAYS FLAME AWAY OR THROW UP SUGESTIONS FOR IT

New stuff
Traxxas 2.4 TQ radio
HB sedonna
645MG servo..not the biggest but works just fine
Fabed up front batt tray..Working on a adjustable weight system still
Fabbed up rear 4link plate...Working on adjustable weight system also

and let the pics begin

Nice and shinny for the ladies lol

Nice lil battery holder takes alot of the slop away and protects from the tire

Nice and snug with plenty enough steering range

close view of the other side

I threw some spacers on the tie rod to raise it up over the diff housing..Could use a longer screw on the left side but it works till I tinker with it again

Nice little shinny rear 4 link plate. Figuring on some type of adjustable weight system

Little flex just the way I like it to be.

Wll guys thanks for looking yet again It aint no 1200 dolla comp rig but Ive proved it against XR10s and minus no dig could follow right behind

Time to break in the sedonas and tweak it out just a little bit more when everything gets in and go get laughed at at some comps lol
Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

nice theres nothing better than throwing together what u have. i do hve one question for ya,wht did u make ur four link plates out of. i got the rtr rock racer an started messing with as soon s i got it.I tried to make a four ik plate out of 1/8 inch alum an i ended up drilling my holes wrong. plate was crooked when veiwed from the top so i gotta get some more.Aside from that an i just picked up some berg wheels its all stock.alum links are next on my list. later
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevilman2009 View Post
nice theres nothing better than throwing together what u have. i do hve one question for ya,wht did u make ur four link plates out of. i got the rtr rock racer an started messing with as soon s i got it.I tried to make a four ik plate out of 1/8 inch alum an i ended up drilling my holes wrong. plate was crooked when veiwed from the top so i gotta get some more.Aside from that an i just picked up some berg wheels its all stock.alum links are next on my list. later
same this I found like a 3ft section of it and used the servo tray as a drill guide and placement tool. Its the same screw patteren fron an back just make sure you have it flipped and aligned right before you drill. and counter sink with a slightly larger bit to flush the screws..Its easy and simple just remember to look and mock up before drilling If you dont have a few peices to use
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

I just saw this for the first time....I love homebrew, DIY parts I'm surprised Duuuuuuuude hasn't chimed in yet.

Are you going to attempt your own BTA as well?

Good job.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I just saw this for the first time....I love homebrew, DIY parts I'm surprised Duuuuuuuude hasn't chimed in yet.

Are you going to attempt your own BTA as well?

Good job.
That or just some sort of over the axle link. Im a tinkerer at heart hints why rc crawlings my hobby. Ither way yeah that linkage is off the front Im sick of it hanging up.

It will be a slow build due to job and school but I just got my hands on a 3/4 derlin board.......This to thick for a skid plate.......maybe some sort of chassis??
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you keep your linkage infront of the axle I'd suggest moving the servo back a little. The angle on your draglink looks kinda steep. Plus that will help with the getting hung up on the rocks part.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

yeahh I was going with a behind the servo horn linkage set up to hide it but got to hit up the hardware section for more screws an what not to set it up.. Got a great idea in my mind just might not work lol
Old 03-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

AHHH GOTTA LOVE ENCURAGMENT IN THE FORM OF A 22oz CAN SESSION

well guys who are actually checking this out I had a long night last night and came up with a new skid made out of star board and a over the axle or real high up steering link behind the servo horn. Please remember this is all done with hand tools NOTHING electric besides a drill.....MAY THE PICS BEGIN

Well heres the finished peice all cut with a molding saw. an a mini hack saw

great ground clearance and even atempted to angle the front a rear for slidege

Good D shaft angle and YES I know I need some different end links to drop the links down to flatin out the drag area at the ends of the skid.. To the LHS tomarrow lol

Front D shaft is perfect little edge to hand up on the skid put Ill have it fixed

Even made it cover the chassis for slipege action

ON TO THE STEERING

Just about perfect.. IDK how it works yet but who needs a dig with nor back rims on. This thing will spin on itself

Is that to much TOE out or to little lol

\

Sharp steering no binds
super slick skid with inboard links
and a relaxing night in the shop with a few cans of encuragment...

All in all I thought it would look way worse than this but as normal tips tricks hints laughs what ever is welcome
Old 03-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

For using all hand tools, I must say looks good.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Hey you stole my skid idea ()

I love how you made the lip under the skid, I did that on my aluminum one and found it hung up a LOT less I think 3/4" Delrin is a lil to thick for a chassis, ive pulled off my Rocker, initially, in 1/8" delrin with those big pockets and no issues

PS: Best wishes in the giveaway
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Hey you stole my skid idea ()

I love how you made the lip under the skid, I did that on my aluminum one and found it hung up a LOT less I think 3/4" Delrin is a lil to thick for a chassis, ive pulled off my Rocker, initially, in 1/8" delrin with those big pockets and no issues

PS: Best wishes in the giveaway

Thanks man would love to add your chassis to my hacked up crawler. I lookws into cutting it in half to make 2 skids but tried it on the original skid I made at it failed miserably Im gessin I need a normal hack saw and something half the size to use as a guide to cut it flat.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
For using all hand tools, I must say looks good.

Thanks Im sorta of skilled at using hand tools may take another wack at it to make it perfectly semetrical an what have you
Old 03-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
Thanks man would love to add your chassis to my hacked up crawler. I lookws into cutting it in half to make 2 skids but tried it on the original skid I made at it failed miserably Im gessin I need a normal hack saw and something half the size to use as a guide to cut it flat.
Thanks, well, your in the giveaway or... ;) Stupid me thought you were in some foreign country If you want, I think I may have a skid plate, in the style of yours, with a lip on it, no promises but I may have the sucker kicking around in a drawer

As for skids and cutting the plastic, I hear you on keeping a straight line. Psh I made a skid .7" narrower for my crawler and wow, that was a huge improvement over stock but was also a bit of fun to mill. Nothing beats holding Delrin down for milling with 2 lil clamps and your fingers Trust me though, my first skids weren't pretty either so its all good in the end, heh its going to get chewed up on the rocks anyways

Last edited by Crawling Calvin; 03-12-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Thanks, well, your in the giveaway or... ;) Stupid me thought you were in some foreign country If you want, I think I may have a skid plate, in the style of yours, with a lip on it, no promises but I may have the sucker kicking around in a drawer

As for skids and cutting the plastic, I hear you on keeping a straight line. Psh I made a skid .7" narrower for my crawler and wow, that was a huge improvement over stock but was also a bit of fun to mill. Nothing beats holding Delrin down for milling with 2 lil clamps and your fingers Trust me though, my first skids weren't pretty either so its all good in the end, heh its going to get chewed up on the rocks anyways

well you could throw it on your chassis when I win it...Im in the market for another chassis rather its making one or buying one and your set ups looking real good when the funds build back up and the girl friend stops naggin bout me spending more on my crawler....

Throwing up a question on my new BEC...The red and brown wires positive and negative to the servo correct?? and I can just solder it onto the back of my deans for power??? I got the just of it and rig wired it to see if it worked just making sure before I finish all my wiring that this is right
Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
RCC Addict

That's what I was thinking... hmm gave me an idea I think I may have one skid that got cut slightly crooked on the lip, but still would work, kicking around. Ill have to see. Heh if your going to run any after-market chassis NARROW THE CAR UP!

Heh $, I should know full well after ordering tools, materials and gassing my car up
Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Home brew builds are always more fun to watch, no matter how they turn out. You almost always learn something new.

Basic tools are all you really need. You can do quite a bit with them.

I'd say you've got a pretty good rig so far. Its obvious you've been paying attention to whats going on around here.

Ever since I saw CHUD's skid on the OG F4, all of mine have wrapped around the bottom of the chassis too.

If you've got a Dremel, they make a router base for it. Use that with a homemade jig and the proper bit, and you can do some basic yet fairly accurate machining on plastic.

Keep it up!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Home brew builds are always more fun to watch, no matter how they turn out. You almost always learn something new.

Basic tools are all you really need. You can do quite a bit with them.

I'd say you've got a pretty good rig so far. Its obvious you've been paying attention to whats going on around here.

Ever since I saw CHUD's skid on the OG F4, all of mine have wrapped around the bottom of the chassis too.

If you've got a Dremel, they make a router base for it. Use that with a homemade jig and the proper bit, and you can do some basic yet fairly accurate machining on plastic.

Keep it up!
not even a dremmel lol but yeah if i keep it up im pickin on up
Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
not even a dremmel lol but yeah if i keep it up im pickin on up
I'd seriously consider getting one, it opens up all kinds of possibilities, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of fabricating. Even the cheapy Dremel is fine as long as you can get the router collar on it.

If you want a bit more stylish designs for your front and rear plates, Offroader5 has a link in his signature to some templates that you can print out.

edit: here's the link...

http://offroader5.freeservers.com/templates.html

Print them out, glue them onto whatever material you're working with, and go to town.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote