RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Looking to get AX10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/298018-looking-get-ax10.html)

lilengine44 02-06-2011 09:12 PM

Looking to get AX10

Im thinking about getting an ax10 what are some of the things that need to be upgraded and some problems they have?

PhantomRS10 02-06-2011 09:25 PM

The rtc version out now comes 2.4 radio and has the as-2 which is capable of lipo cut off plus drag brake. With a castle link
Some of the common upgraDes are tires shocks links.... The rtc has the 55t motor already and metal geared servo. It comes with Proline rock hammers and adjustable shocks... So in my eyes its a great rig thats why its Ready to Crawl (RTC). 2 of the guys i run with all the time has got the RTC and they like it alot.

So metal links are the main thing to replace.. ALot of guys like diffferent chassis as well...

Mainly have fun with it. Everyone has different ways to drive so best if ya drive it like it is and mod it when u see fit.

GRIMGREG 02-06-2011 09:25 PM

Depends on the one you get, and what you plan to do with it.

Read through the tips and tricks thread stickied at the top of the AX-10 section.

Wicked Klown 02-06-2011 09:26 PM

I'd say the first thing to get is a set of Hot Bodies Rovers white dot. Also go with lipo and a good lipo charger, see about getting a good 300+ oz servo.

NMLJ 02-06-2011 09:26 PM

You will need to spend about a grand getting every hop up you can for it, then wish you had got a XR-10.:lmao:

I would try and get a used one thats already built up. They are going pretty cheap for the reason mentioned above.

gunnar 02-06-2011 09:28 PM

Nothing needed, they are perfect out of the box. Don't believe these other guys:)

Highlucks 02-06-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMLJ (Post 2911083)
You will need to spend about a grand getting every hop up you can for it, then wish you had got a XR-10.:lmao:

I would try and get a used one thats already built up. They are going pretty cheap for the reason mentioned above.

You need to do that to pretty much any crawler, no point singling out an ax10.

But do have a look in the classifieds, you may be able to find something with some good upgrades for similar to what you would pay for an RTC.

fortysixandtwo 02-06-2011 09:48 PM

The RTC seems like a good starter kit. Upgrade the links and steering to aluminum, invest in a better servo and you have a more than competant rig. Then upgrade as you see fit.

Natedog 02-07-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlucks (Post 2911113)
You need to do that to pretty much any crawler, no point singling out an ax10.

But do have a look in the classifieds, you may be able to find something with some good upgrades for similar to what you would pay for an RTC.

Yeah, what he said exactly. Buy it have fun and upgrade when it breaks. Or when you want a little more performance.

Dasher 02-07-2011 06:08 AM

Make sure that you get the new 2.4 version - it's a much better starter pack than the old 27Mhz one. The tires are OK but you will notice vast improvement with the HB ones and get some weight up front. The plastic lower links slide well but aren't too rigid - they're not the first thing to change though. The steering links do need swapping for alloy ones. I wouldn't change the upper links straight off either, as the better change is to a 4 link set -up and you don't need that in week one! Once you have the HB's on, trim the body sightly to give better clearance. This is the low cost way to good fun! The new version is probably better value than a used stock kit as the old stock esc was very poor and replacing it is a $100 item. The old servo was weak too - again an immediate replacement item. The RTC tires (proline) are OK) but most used "bargains" have the Axial tires on and they're crap.

Competing is a different matter, but first of all buy one, take it out and enjoy it!

lilengine44 02-07-2011 07:36 AM

Thanks guys i figured all starter kits are gonna need some electronics replaced but im gonna check out the classifieds