Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tekin FXR setup?

I'm trying to figure out a good baseline set-up for my FXR, obviously I'm going to go with 100% forward throttle but could use some help on setting up the reverse and brake. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. I'm going to pick up a 2s or 3s battery (which ever fits better) today and a bec if the LHS has one, and will try some more tuning tonight.

Is it possible to get the FXR to have full brakes to minimize rollback after releasing the throttle, similar to the Rooster?

Never mind, I bought this used so all I did was calibrate it and it's much better and now has brakes. But if anyone has any tips on adjustments specific for crawling I would still love to try some adjustments out.

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by cagedcbr; 02-09-2011 at 11:25 AM.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
I'm trying to figure out a good baseline set-up for my FXR, obviously I'm going to go with 100% forward throttle but could use some help on setting up the reverse and brake. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. I'm going to pick up a 2s or 3s battery (which ever fits better) today and a bec if the LHS has one, and will try some more tuning tonight.

Is it possible to get the FXR to have full brakes to minimize rollback after releasing the throttle, similar to the Rooster?

Never mind, I bought this used so all I did was calibrate it and it's much better and now has brakes. But if anyone has any tips on adjustments specific for crawling I would still love to try some adjustments out.

Cheers, Mike.
Increased drag brake one or two, no reverse delay and it's great in my 2.2 Axial!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Increased drag brake one or two, no reverse delay and it's great in my 2.2 Axial!
x2 plus i run reverse at about 60%, forward 100%
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah this thing is freakin' smooooooth, just like I read and the reason why I went with it. After just driving it around on the 3300NiMh starter box battery I realize I need to adjust for no delay on reverse like you mention. Tried to get out of a few rollovers and the delay is definatly not working LOL. I'll have to go back to the instructions but 'm going to wait until I pick up a Lipo pack so I can adjust for that too.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
x2 plus i run reverse at about 60%, forward 100%
Why only 60% reverse?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Just checking out the manual and for "Brake/Reverse" I believe I would want step 2? This is forward to reverse immediately. I am assuming this still retains the brake if you go from throttle to neutral, but if I'm in a bind or about to flip I can jam reverse to reset my position?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
Just checking out the manual and for "Brake/Reverse" I believe I would want step 2? This is forward to reverse immediately. I am assuming this still retains the brake if you go from throttle to neutral, but if I'm in a bind or about to flip I can jam reverse to reset my position?
I think step 2 is forward reverse no delay and yes you will still have the brake. Set your throttle profile to 1 or 2 as well and it has super nice low end control.
The Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Why only 60% reverse?
i just like to run it a little slower in case i need to back up in a bind, and i never really have to go full throtle backing up. kinda keeps it in check for me.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Try searching yet? THere's gonna be a lot of recommendations.

Here's a good one: Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I don't do the radio programing just with the computer but I use profile 1 and 100% fwd or rev! When you're in a jam you need all the power you can get. I set my drag as high as you can... They aren't known for great drag brakes.

If you guys think the fxr is smooth and and has good drag then wait till you try a castle or brxl esc! WAY more smooth and way more drag. But I can't lie I run the fxr just because it's small and fits where I need it to fit.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So far I have it set with 100% forward and reverse and drag brake on full. I just picked up a 1250MaH 3s battery (just got home) once I figure out how I'm strapping in place and change over to a deans plug I think I should be in good shape. This way I can tone it down (ei. reverse) if I feel the need. Just checked in on my GC3a order and it should be in next week so I want to figure out my electronics before swapping it into that rig.

I will defiantly give this a read through.
Quote:
Try searching yet? THere's gonna be a lot of recommendations.

Here's a good one: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...ighlight=tekin
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So I got the Deans plug soldered on, battery charged up and OH WOW does this thing have some grunt. I have a 75t Integy motor right now and was thinking of going to a 45-55t but not sure now, I would say I have more get up and go and jump for the first 5-10 ft than my buddys scx10 with RTR electronics with a NiMh pack.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Go with the 45t motor? I have the drag brake set as high as possible.
When running a 3 cell lipo I would recommend a castle bec. It just works better.

Last edited by SDheavymetal; 02-09-2011 at 09:54 PM.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I think my next visit to my LHS will include a CC BEC, I was about to grab one today but was only rated to like 9 volts or something. I've read about some glitching and heat issues with the FXR without a BEC, I have just been running around the house and on my porch and have encountered a little bit of servo glitch.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
RCC Addict

With todays crawling servo's I can't express to people enough to buy an external BEC. The only esc up to any kind of small task is the brxl. And even then I'd still throw on an external... they just flat out perform better! Glad to hear you like the new setup
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I will getting a BEC for certain. I gotta say I think I'm more impressed with the Lipo power more than anything and the runtime for a 1250mah pack is crazy. I've been messing around with a single charge all night long off and on between eating dinner, putting the kids to sleep ect and it's still going strong. I've been completely out of electric RC since about 2000-2001 and I am really just reteaching myself with all the new stuff and am very impressed.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
RCC Addict

LIPO is where its at now... You'll love it I promise lol
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Im assuming you have it set to 3s cut off....Just a reminder for that lol

I got the fxr 35t combo running a 3s 1300mah lipo and the kick and wheel speed I have is amazing.

100% foward and reverse..for those OH S**T situations on hill climbs because its allways good to be able to reverse out of a roll and the front flips are also amusing as well

Ive got the nutral brake set to 1 or 2 steps shy of full lock up for stoping on down or up hill with no roll at all. "it will sit still on just under 75* hills" so I can wiggle to a new line ect. and to launch up an over ledges and instantly stop on top

Drag brakes 100% so I can stop on same hills a an bump the throttle to get a reeaalll slow creep

I would suggest a BEC for any set up. just makes it even that more amzing IMO. Im not running one yet but its on order along with everything else I upgrading

hope this helps but all in all every set ups different Im a power hungry guy myself and love everything to be maxed out on my rig so the best advise I could give is to grab another lipo same size as your gonna use and take a whole day to test an tune just your ESC and things dealing with it on your new chassis because even that effects the out come in the power department.

Toy around with it now and get used to it then fine tune it when your rigs done
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Great advice xjcritter, exactly what I'm trying to do is to get it all ironed out or as close as possible and then swap it all over next week (with a BEC). I'm still astonished by the run time of this damn Lipo, once again I have been messing around all morning climbing the couch, the walls, a coca cola box ect... LOL and this thing won't quit, I'm still on it's first charge. I can see the need for a different motor though, although the 75 turn REALLY picked up speed and punch with the Lipo it still could use some more wheel speed to flip back over when in a rollover situation (I think). I gotta say, being relatively new to crawling I have never had so much fun with RC as I am with this. Now I just have to get that Gatekeeper working as good as I have heard it can and then onto some practice, practice and some comps.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Not the best of help because I dont know everything about crawlers but what I do know Im more than willing to share. I run a stock chassis with a 4 link rear "look up project hack job in here" practice practice practice. Set it up give it a good bit to get used to before redoing it. The best set up Ive had so far I hated first off then adapted. Now Im placing high at local practice comps where we run all types together with stock crappy hammers. remember its not all ways how much much you throw at it its how well you work with what you got. As long as your having fun and enjoying the hobby then so be it
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote