Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: RTC or part together

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #1

Default RTC or part together

Do you guys think it would pay to buy a RTC (ready to crawl) and then upgrade from there?

OR

Parts a truck together from the start?

Getting some opinions on doing a AX10 with a body. I want the performace of the AX but with a scaler body... Thanks guys and gals.
hesserdude07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Tossin' Salad

I would start by just buying a set of AX10 axles and transmission. Then, read the stickies at the top of this forum for all the good performance mods. This will save you a ton of time and money.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

X2 I am building my first crawler from scratch as well and this place is great!
RksPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I bought a used rtr ax10, the only parts left are the axles and tranny. Save the headache and start from scratch, two axles and a tranny, build around that
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

First off, welcome aboard! Secondly, do yourself a favor and just buy a star. You help support a great site and it gives you access to the classifieds. The classifieds are where you are going to get the best bang for your buck, with new and used parts.

Good luck with your build.

Giz
Giznad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

In the long run buying axles and a tranny will be cheaper, but take into consideration how much you want to spend and how quick you want to get crawling. The RTC can get you crawling same day, just buy batteries.

If you build one from scratch it could take a long time, depending on your budget. First you have to find what parts you want, and that is hard to know if you haven't been crawling long. Look at some of the build threads on here, that will give you a good idea about what parts you want.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3323 View Post
In the long run buying axles and a tranny will be cheaper, but take into consideration how much you want to spend and how quick you want to get crawling. The RTC can get you crawling same day, just buy batteries.

If you build one from scratch it could take a long time, depending on your budget. First you have to find what parts you want, and that is hard to know if you haven't been crawling long. Look at some of the build threads on here, that will give you a good idea about what parts you want.
X2
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

thanks guys for all the quick replys. I have a buddy here in town that has probley 10 comp built trucks / buggys and is gonna help me once i get my parts.

So far i have ordered:
TCS tuber chassis
XR10 stock beadlocks
Axial locked axle set (waiting on back order)
Axial lock tranny
Delron links with 4 link plates (from my bubby)
rover tires (soft)

Hope this helps a little more...

I know that i wanna run a winch so im gonna need a 3 ch radio. I got no problem building and spending. I have 3 Revos in my collection. 1 truggy race truck on 6s, 1 all aluminum show piece, and 1 bashing truck on 3s.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

I keep an eye on the RPP Salvage Yard. Complete Honcho axle sets pop up from time to time for $67. These are new with the heavy duty lockers and the rear lockout kit already installed.

If you bought axle kits they are about $40 a piece. Then you would still need 2 heavy duty lockers for about $25, and the rear straight axles and lockouts for another $30

Another option is to buy an SCX-10 kit. It comes with all the axle upgrades already. Keep the axles, and transmission and sell the rest. You can sell the chassis, tires, wheels and shocks in one night here on the classifieds (I've done it) and keep the body for your build.

Just a thought.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

And welcome to RCC
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just bought a star and wholy crap the classifieds are where it's at for the scratch build. Should have done it sooner!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RksPlz View Post
I just bought a star and wholy crap the classifieds are where it's at for the scratch build. Should have done it sooner!
Good for you for supporting the site

But you do realize this was your 30th post, right?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I may only have 30 posts but I have been searchin a ton! Money well spent! And still should have done it sooner.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #14

yeah this week when i get paid ill be buying a star so i can go to the classified section. Ive been searching this site for atleast 6 months before i finally joined... I like to do my research first to see what i like.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #15

has anyone used the chassis im looking at? Any thoughts from the "pros"... I dont have a ton to start with but i wanna start with a better than stock truck. So im hoping to have my Truck build for $400 in parts. Gonna run my traxxas radio for now till i can save and afford a 3 ch to run a winch set up... My real 1.1 crawler takes all my money LoL.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesserdude07 View Post
has anyone used the chassis im looking at? Any thoughts from the "pros"... I dont have a ton to start with but i wanna start with a better than stock truck. So im hoping to have my Truck build for $400 in parts. Gonna run my traxxas radio for now till i can save and afford a 3 ch to run a winch set up... My real 1.1 crawler takes all my money LoL.
If you are talking about the TCS tube chassis....well, in a word..."top-heavy"

You will notice using it that it is heavy, causing some off balance things to happen. It is best to get all your weight down low, and keep your chassis lightweight...but, to each his own.

Casey
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RksPlz View Post
I may only have 30 posts but I have been searchin a ton! Money well spent! And still should have done it sooner.
I didn't mean that to sound disrespectful. Just that at 30 post you were eligible to see the classifieds without a star.... Good for you though for supporting the site!

Now put that star to use and start entering some giveaways!

Viper Chassis

Shirts from DLUX

Search Giveaway for more
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

C*H*U*D I didn't take it that way at all, I kinda forgot about the 30 post rule but I did use that search button hence the low post count And believe me I hit up all of them giveaways!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
If you are talking about the TCS tube chassis....well, in a word..."top-heavy"

You will notice using it that it is heavy, causing some off balance things to happen. It is best to get all your weight down low, and keep your chassis lightweight...but, to each his own.

Casey
Hey what chassis would you guys suggest? Without going way over board...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #20
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesserdude07 View Post
Hey what chassis would you guys suggest? Without going way over board...
Well, you have quite a few options really. Do you want bodiless? Do you want a good system and still maintain a body?

If you like to keep your body, then a GC3A is awesome. You can find that chassis right in this AX10 section.

If you like the bodiless look, you can go for a T1e moonbuggy, or even one of my Froggers. I am not really trying to plug my frogger, but if price is an issue...check this out.

AX10 Frogger chassis BLOWOUT!

My best advice would be to read a bunch in this AX10 forum before making a decision.

Casey