Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Show me your high clearance knuckle setups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Show me your high clearance knuckle setups

I just bought some Axial high clearance knuckles to spice up my old 2.2 TCS Edge chassis.. I run nimh saddle packs and the batteries seriously get in the way of the new knuckles wayyy before full lock.. Did I find out the hard way that I have to choose between running these types of batteries or the knuckles?

I'm realllly not upto date on the comp crawling scene so my knowledge of this stuff is seriously lacking.. I've been upto my eye balls in scalers for the last couple years...

What if I got one of those battery plates that lays parallel to the axle and sets the servo off to one side? From the pics I've seen it's up a little higher.. but would a 7 cell nimh saddle pack fit on there?
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Suck it up!

Time to go lipo...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Duuuuuuuude Time to go lipo...
Totally agree, I tried and tried to find places to mount some NiMh batterys in every different configuration I could come up with in my head and finally just said the hell with it and went lipo. I can now pretty much mount my little 1250mah Lipo pack anywhere and everywhere. I won't even get into the power these lipos have over old NiMh, if for no other reason the punch you get is well worth the switch. I would just make sure to take the recommended precautions when using lipos. Also keep in mind some places or comps require lipos to be protected on your rig.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

X2 on lipo
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I should've seen that coming.

Two of my saddle packs are nearly brand new, and I'm not going to toss aside nearly $90 total worth of batteries right now.. Plus I like the added benifit of extra weight on the front axle. I need to know if what I'm asking will work with the batteries I want to run. I've never seen the battery plate in question in person so it's difficult to visualize it's size. Or if that alone will give me the clearance to try and make the knuckles work.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Then I would say go ahead and get the battery/servo tray for the front axle and strap the cells to it. They're going to sit up pretty high and throw your COG off.

About the only other thing you could do would be to fab up some new battery mounts that push them ahead of the axle far enough to clear the knuckles.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

LIPO....

But, I understand you wanting to use what you have. Here is what I did:

Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

You could do something like this

DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I should've seen that coming.

Two of my saddle packs are nearly brand new, and I'm not going to toss aside nearly $90 total worth of batteries right now.. Plus I like the added benifit of extra weight on the front axle. I need to know if what I'm asking will work with the batteries I want to run. I've never seen the battery plate in question in person so it's difficult to visualize it's size. Or if that alone will give me the clearance to try and make the knuckles work.
Sell the nimhs for whatever you can get for them and go lipo. Nimhs suck!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Looks like there is room for the pack and servo in that configuration, thanks for the pic.

I don't know if it's worth all this effort to gain a little extra steering.. I guess just after spending the $30 on the knuckles I really want to actually use them. Maybe I should sell them and put overdrive gears in my front diff and gain manuverability that way.. Especially since I've already got UD gears out back. HMM.. might be a good idea?

greatscott, I have seen someone else do that before but it looks like it'd put a lot of stress on the end of the knuckle and the bolt holding it all together, ever have any problems with bent or binding parts with that setup?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

There is no substitute for better steering imo. The better you steering angle is the less you will have to rely on dig. It is easier to get the right lines when you have a nice tight turning radius.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #12

i have the one with the servo off to the side and it puts ur steering like behind the axle its called behind the axle steering then u dont have to worry about how clearance
AX10Owner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

servo plate, lipos form CBP, and 1/4" delrin steering links. those little suckers fit nice. full length rod on the bottom and the steering arm on the top of the knuckle
bubbaskyjacker is offline   Reply With Quote