Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: project "Hybrid"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

alright I'll do that, but i'm thinking I'll move the top links outside the chassis and try and mount them to the stock holes on the servo plate.....if I shorten them as needed will that be too much triangulation or will that work good?
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #22
Suck it up!

Going outside will probably put too much strain on the rod ends. Although, you could probably bend them around a bit which would not only give the rod ends room to move, but would also shorten them up a bit...probably enough to get them onto that front plate.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

thats a good idea I'll look into it tomorrow night when I commence more sessions.... I got too many projects at once
Old 02-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #24
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I'd say do what Duuuuuuuuude suggested, the triangulation should be fine with the uppers inside the chassis. If your going to run the motor sticking out that far, you'll most likely need a small skid in front of the motor plate. Will the tranny/motor physically fit in the new chassis? Or real close?
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I'd say do what Duuuuuuuuude suggested, the triangulation should be fine with the uppers inside the chassis. If your going to run the motor sticking out that far, you'll most likely need a small skid in front of the motor plate. Will the tranny/motor physically fit in the new chassis? Or real close?
bend the links or run shorter ones? the motor/trans will fit closely, but getting it mounted would be a different story, what are you thinking?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #26
0 0

Quote:
If your going to run the motor sticking out that far, you'll most likely need a small skid in front of the motor plate. Will the tranny/motor physically fit in the new chassis? Or real close?
Mine easily sticks out just as much on my Axial and it barley has scratches on it. To my knowledge Ive never been in a bind or messed up because of my motor sticking out too far.
Just my opinion.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #27
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudn_1 View Post
bend the links or run shorter ones? the motor/trans will fit closely, but getting it mounted would be a different story, what are you thinking?
Shorter links would probably look better, but if you can bend the ones you have, that'll work too.

Looking at the pics, you would have to make a new skid to bolt the tranny in, the lower links would have to be spread further apart a small amount(and would have to be shorter too) to have material available for the two screws under the tranny next to the motor. It wouldn't be easy, but it could be done. An easier way would be to make a plate that spans across the chassis to bolt the tranny to, The lower links could stay where they are, but the transmission would sit kinda high.
Just thinking out loud, it's hard to tell the clearances without having it all in front of me. Packaging everything is the toughest part, as you are finding out.
Pretty cool though
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Shorter links would probably look better, but if you can bend the ones you have, that'll work too.

Looking at the pics, you would have to make a new skid to bolt the tranny in, the lower links would have to be spread further apart a small amount(and would have to be shorter too) to have material available for the two screws under the tranny next to the motor. It wouldn't be easy, but it could be done. An easier way would be to make a plate that spans across the chassis to bolt the tranny to, The lower links could stay where they are, but the transmission would sit kinda high.
Just thinking out loud, it's hard to tell the clearances without having it all in front of me. Packaging everything is the toughest part, as you are finding out.
Pretty cool though
Kinda what I was thinking by looking at the pics. It would raise the trans and add a touch of weight, but the differences might be negligible.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
Kinda what I was thinking by looking at the pics. It would raise the trans and add a touch of weight, but the differences might be negligible.
X3 It would also fill that dead space between the trans and the chassis. When I looked at the first pic I was thinking " why not narrow it more on that side if ur gunna LET IT ALL HANG OUT the other side.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I just wanted to see what I could put together without changing to much around and maybe get it goin and see how it performs and go from there.... I got another chassis to make a final product, but before I modify it, i want to see how this does.... after beginning this project i had the same thoughts about building a small delrin plate to mount the tranny to, and the mounting it to the stock skid to inboard the motor more.....honestly I'm not that worried about the little integy motor anyways as its on its way out....

I really just want to figure out the link geometry and get it down... tranny motor placement is the least of my worries.... and in the pics the top links are just setting there straight out from the chassis, the mounts are in the middle of the batt/servo plate so they will triangulate a good bit, I just sat them there to see if it were possible to run them straight and keep the bottoms traingulated..... If that makes sense......
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Los axial is up and running.... suspension is stiffish.... but it seems to do well..... I'll get pics up asap....