Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: project "Hybrid"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default project "Hybrid"

I am kinda bored with my axial, its too wide, too boxy and too bland..... I on the other hand am really enjoying my fairly stock Losi and especially the link geometry..... so why not build a Losi-axial hybrid...... Losi chassis and axial running gear..... I had a stock LNC chassis laying around so I figure I can put it to use.....hopefully in the end this will be a competitive sportsman rig....... on the pics of what i have done so far....

the losi chassis is narrow, similar to a gatekeeper i think..... so first I wanted to get the skid mocked up.... the two holes that are there now where pretty close, so i just reamed one out a little like an adjustible trans mount, the other two the ones marked will have to be drilled and the top of the skids ribbing will have to be removed just a little for some delrin spacers to go in.... overall this was fairly straight forward

next one of the chassis plates had to be "notched" to accept the wider axial trans/motor mount...... I basicly cut the ribbing out of the chassis and notched the lower section, and it still seems pretty strong escpecially with how it ties into the skid, and once chassis braces are added it will be rigid.... it will be cleaned up later on......

thats pretty much it except for mounting the skid up to the plates for mock up purposes..... I am a little concerned about the weight from the motor being pushed to one side, and the driveshafts are centered this way..... i will address the weight offset later on...

Suggestions appreciated!!!

I shall call it project "Los Axial"

Last edited by mudn_1; 02-21-2011 at 09:09 PM.
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #2

I love it when somebody takes a rig and goes with a hybrid build. I did myself starting off with a Creeper, which has amassed into a full custom rig with only creeper axles left. Just wondering why you would go with an Axial tranny over the Losi one? I have never driven the Losi, but I would think having the dig option of the Losi would be more desirable.
SoCalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSlasher View Post
I love it when somebody takes a rig and goes with a hybrid build. I did myself starting off with a Creeper, which has amassed into a full custom rig with only creeper axles left. Just wondering why you would go with an Axial tranny over the Losi one? I have never driven the Losi, but I would think having the dig option of the Losi would be more desirable.

the losi trans has zero underdrive...... its basically 1;1 and the gear reduction is at the axles....... so the axial stuff needed to be used.... Currently all I have is a LNC tranny and axial tranny, so basically for the time being i will use the stuff I have until I see how it performs
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Aaahh I see. I have never really looked at the Losi up close, so that makes sense now. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
SoCalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Try to Bend it

a quick question why did you push the motor out of the side of the chassis when you could have had it mounted much closer to the centre of the rig?
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I didnt try too... I used the stock holes for mounting.... are you saying I should try and flip it around? I can try that.... I was basicly trying to utilize the stock holes since there so many already in this skid... If it doesn't work out I can get a skid milled.... if need be

Last edited by mudn_1; 02-21-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I love what you're doing and I'll follow it closely. Please keep us posted.
That Losi chassis is killer!!!
The tapered chassis plates...the upper links being nearly parallel... the lower links being wide at the axle and triangulating at the skid...
Its so well designed!!! I think thats why nobody's gotten serious about an aftermarket chassis for it...

KEEP IT COMIN!!!
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Oh, and as for your tranny mounting position, I think its fine.

JUST MAKE SURE the motor is on the right side to help counter torque twist. It won't help tons, but somewhat, and every bit counts.
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thanks!! It will take a little more work, but this chassis will go either way so It should be fine
Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Cool, somebodies doing something interesting. Subscribed.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Agreed with Duuuuude!

Looks good, i don't see any torque twist issues with that setup I am also a big fan of "not going with the norm" I mean that's what makes crawling so much fun, give two guys the same car and a $200 budget for upgrades and they won't do the same rig
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
Debunking old stereotypes

No disrespect to the OP, but some of you guys act like this is a new thing.
This is how all rigs were built before the AX10 came out.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSlasher View Post
Just wondering why you would go with an Axial tranny over the Losi one? I have never driven the Losi, but I would think having the dig option of the Losi would be more desirable.
Just to help you out a little more also. The losi tranny has a non locking dig setup. The lockup comes from the worm drive axles.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

well i just bought another chassis off ebay for $30 brand new with all the shock mounts and stuff i needed, so this might just be the mockup throw away chassis....... then i use the new one for final assembly because i needed the chassis braces and shock mounts.... I just thought it would be a cheap easy gain over the setup I have currently (double-D)... plus its a fun little project.......
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
No disrespect to the OP, but some of you guys act like this is a new thing.
This is how all rigs were built before the AX10 came out.
none taken, but you don't see many doing it now.... the geometry on this chassis is phenomenal....and paired with axial drivetrain, minus steering, I think it will make a sweet little sportsman
Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudn_1 View Post
but you don't see many doing it now...
Thats because now they can buy damn near anything you want. A build thread today is nothing like a build thread a few years ago. Now its more like "hey here's some pictures and a list of new parts I bought, watch me assemble them".

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 02-22-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

LOL.... I know.... I was trying to think outside the box a little..... but other than what is shown, I dont know what else will really have to be custom..... but we'll see....
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

stay tuned as i get it together, if it works and will hold up to punishment, i will hack the new chassis and use it, and maybe make a few changes.....
Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

the new LCC chassis came in the mail today so I could get started on links and shock mounts so I worked on the piece tonight...... I got finished getting the tranny mounted and cutting the chassis for the motor so it will be adjustable.... the only downfall with that is the chassis plate will have to be removed for motor change etc.......

I got started on the front suspension and links..... Now I like the lower link setup, but plan to move them out a little on the axle side, but as for the uppers I believe I am gonna have to either get some shorter links, or drill new holes above the axle for these.... the suspension seems extremely stiff right now and I'm not happy with it..... any Link length/geometry help is appreciated....how do you guys setup your links on a custom build? I mean whats behind it, trial and errror? or is there angles/math I need to know...... but heres the pics:

New chassis, not gonna hack at it until I see how this preforms/breaks...

and the pile.... notice the top link mounts on the axle side of things and tell me what you think as far as what to do.....

Old 02-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #20
Suck it up!

You need to make shorter links. If you don't already have them, get a 3mm tap and bit kit, and some 1/4" aluminum rod from the hardware store.