Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My AX10 build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My AX10 build thread

Ok since I am horid at "stopping to take pics" when I am doing a build here's where I have come so far.
Its an AX10 with Underdriven rear
home made "ultra axle tubes"
custom CNC'd chassis and skid plate (narrower by .7", its a TIGHT fit for the motor!)
glue-on rims (for now)
Losi 4" shocks with white springs and I think 40wt oil
Sedonas front, rovers rear, both white, both stock foam
aluminum shock u-joints (custom machined)
custom lower and upper links with Revo ends.

[yes I know its slanted, I had the wrong rod ends on one side and I fixed it ]

I hope to get the car done sometime this week. I am unsure if I am going to run a body or not on it and I have a bodyless add-on in the works that I may throw on it for fun
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

looking great calvin! i will be watching for sure!
i cant wait for these to go into production!
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
looking great calvin! i will be watching for sure!
i cant wait for these to go into production!
Ooh comeon Mr Insider

I plan to work on making up some more links tonight. I have an idea for a front 4-link plate based off the LCC one so I may throw that on the Sherline tonight and let it rip. I need to make more of these shock mounts, nothing beats non-binding Losi shocks, without the rod end mod
Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Finally the car is all together! Minus making up my Delrin lowers, aluminum's are just for show , I am done mechanically with the car. Time to work on making the electrical bits fit. I am trying to make the ESC, RX, servo, BEC and battery all be on the front of the car, albeit somewhere. I have an idea for an electronics mount or two that will hold the light, yet bulky items [ESC and BEC]. Time to get busy

Last edited by Crawling Calvin; 03-06-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Putting the sherline and its home made coolant system to good use Got to love machining 5052 aluminum dry with a 1/16" ball nose end mill, its terrible. Turn on the Kool Mist 77 and no issues and barely any burrs

And if your wondering why its got Hobbes engraved on it, its since I am Calvin and ive grown up and my "stuff tiger" got traded in for a crawler
Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

After updating the wrong thread () here's a peek at my latest rims. I am debating dying them orange but well see, orange rims would be trick

Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks, over the weekend I will try and get my locking rings done and the rims (maybe) dyed before I box the car up and ship it ahead of me to florida before I take a lil trip there.

Sadly my Sherline's Y axis suddenly stopped working, motor's fine so I suspect the cable went bad. Looks like I am NOT going to get my U-joints done soon, aaah I love those things
Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #8

good job! I wish I had could do my own machining.
PROJECT 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

How wide are those wheels. I like them, would be cool to see them in 1inch and .7. Keep up the good progress
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
How wide are those wheels. I like them, would be cool to see them in 1inch and .7. Keep up the good progress
They are 1" within .003 +/- (good nuff for me ) I like the offset on them, I think its bumped my car, to the outside of the tires, to 11" over the original 10" I think. The original glue-on rims were a whopping 1.625" wide, these helped pull the Sedonas in, should crawl even better. I do have enough Delrin for at least 4 more rims...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Rims, at least on the front, are done! I ran out of Delrin for rear locking rings but hey, I still got them made which is nice! I am amazed at how well these rims grip the rubber considering Delrin is some slippery stuff

More pics tomorrow, I wonder how much my climbs will be changed with the improved contact patch of the narrower rims, time to crawl more
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Man, seeing what you can do with that cnc machine makes me want one, but its just not in the cards...I would make EVERYTHING myself
tbilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I really like the custom made piece there... it looks really cool! Keep up the good work man!
VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, I think I am addicted to CNC . It is something takes a bit of learning to understand but once you get it down its very easy. I have a Sherline 8-direction vertical CNC mill. Good investment, sure it can't do huge parts super fast but lets face it, its fine for one-off's and prototyping!

I got the car assembled, pics in a lil bit. Its sad that on this Wednesday i have to pull the tires off and put it in a box and ship it to Florida before a trip but I still will be making stuff for it. In a week I will be reunited with it and busy crawling up Pensacola and Navarre