Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: fred0000's sportsman build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good. You guys make me want to make a longer drag link. I think I will do that tomorrow, if it rains and I cant crawl.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Hey Murder, with the 1/8" delrin, be warned it will flex under the power of the servo. Unless you use additional posts to support the plate.
im gonna support it out near the ends and with all 3 middle screws
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Hey Murder, with the 1/8" delrin, be warned it will flex under the power of the servo. Unless you use additional posts to support the plate.
Oh, he'll brace it. You dont even know how hard on equipment he is.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #104
RCC Addict

Smile

Heck I protoed a Rocker chassis in 1/8" delrin with a few supports and flex wasn't to much of an issue. If your super worried about weight then make it from .090" aluminum and drill and cut a few pockets. Really the weight isn't to much of an issue when you think of it, .090" is super light in a part that small
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #105
cherry bomb

small update, the crawler has been working great and no complaints so far, the shocks performed rather well, but I did not like the idea of the mini shocks on there, the shaft just looks so easy to bend, and the shocks look like they could pull apart in a tumble, I came accross some no-name eBay shocks for $10 a pair that were 84mm long. (ebay search 84mm shock) the springs were rock hard as expected so off they went, the losi mini shocks fit perfect on the ends (like the big bore users do) so I slapped those on and its great (if anyone has a spare stock LMC silver spring i'll take it) the 3 racing shocks use a slightly larger diameter spring that wont work aswell for this setup.

the "rod end" on the body side does not fit a ball end, so I have a piece of fuel tubing in there and a servo bushing insert in the fuel tube, works well.

I like it alot better, the springs fit perfectly inside the spring cups too.. bonus!
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Cool man, did it still give you a good low stance or dose it sit higher?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #107
cherry bomb

same stance, I had to lay the shocks down a hair, but I drove it around the house, it feels really solid, less torque twist then it had, and it flex's just as good as it did with the mini shocks. i'm happy with it.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #108
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
(if anyone has a spare stock LMC silver spring i'll take it)
pm me I have one or 2 I can drop in the mail
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #109
Try to Bend it

Fred, the rig is looking really good, keep it up man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Heck I protoed a Rocker chassis in 1/8" delrin with a few supports and flex wasn't to much of an issue. If your super worried about weight then make it from .090" aluminum and drill and cut a few pockets. Really the weight isn't to much of an issue when you think of it, .090" is super light in a part that small

There is a huge difference between a servo plate and chassis rails. Nearly all chassis rails cut form delrin are 1/8" thick. the reason being it works. Servo plates are a totally different kettle of fish. at 1/8" they flex a lot unless you have the ends braced. This is my actual experience and if you ask any one else that has run a DNA SSS with a high torque servo they will tell you the same thing.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #110
cherry bomb

the new shocks are much better then the mini shocks were. I love how much more stable it feels.
I broke a Gunnar pin yesterday (these pins are the best thing that i've ran in my CVD's lasted many months, where stock pins were lasting about an hour of driving)
I replaced the pin with a body clip so I could finnish the day, I placed my order for new pins and replaced the body clip with a drill bit shank.
this should hold in the meantime. (I cut the drill bit off obviosly, puting it in and cutting it in place was the easiest way to get the length)

Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Nice call on the drill bit, I've recently replaced my pinS with spring steel but it was a bit small so it gave to much slop. So I've used an allen key, fits nice and snug and provides multiple flat spots for the set screws. We'll see how long they hold before I decide to just throw the stock stubs in.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #112
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
Nice call on the drill bit, I've recently replaced my pinS with spring steel but it was a bit small so it gave to much slop. So I've used an allen key, fits nice and snug and provides multiple flat spots for the set screws. We'll see how long they hold before I decide to just throw the stock stubs in.
if it was a common problem i'd switch back to stock dogbones and stubs. but with the gunnar pins they seem to hold up just fine, there are not to many reports of failure, and at a dollar a pair of pins, you can't go wrong
Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

I hear that, I have been debating on the gunnar pins because I think I'm going to order up another set of tubes. Might aswell throw some pins in.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #114
cherry bomb

oops
was a decent crawl today before the carnage, weather was awesome.
11" WB on one side :p

no real updates, sorry guys
Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Youch.. how did you pull that one off!

I think the drill bit should hold up fine, I mean they are pretty tough lil guys!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #116
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Youch.. how did you pull that one off!

I think the drill bit should hold up fine, I mean they are pretty tough lil guys!
took a tumble and landed hard on the corner, i'll straighten it back out and see how it holds up, but I think i'll need something new.

the drill bit held up great, I did order some new gunnar pins just incase but I don't see breaking these any time soon
Old 04-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #117
RCC Addict

I would think after a bend that extreme, and knowing 6061 aluminum well, your better off getting a new link, that one will be really prone to breaking!

knowing drill bits well being a machinist... its not the actual body of the drill that generally breaks, its the weakened portion that was ground out to form the flutes that breaks. Hey if piano wire holds up fine, then a drill should do more than adequate. My only concern would be that since the drill is so hard it is going to be more brittle than the Gunnar pin?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #118
cherry bomb

unfortunatly, I need to thin the heard.

being sold as it is in this build, minus spectrum RX, and the servo, but does come RTR

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315149
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #119
RCC Addict

I'll keep an ear open for ya Fred
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote