Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My "Frogger" build "Litoria xanthomera"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #21
RCC Addict

UPDATE :

Well I have not had the funds for the other major purchases for the "PD" build. But, I did install a new CC BEC into "Litoria Zanthomera" today. ( I finally purchased a Castle Link for programming. On "Litoria Zanthomera" I have a Airtronics 94780 Steering servo. It only requires 6.0 volts for optimum Torque.
Anyways, I took it out for some test runs. Man, it was kicking major a$$ on some very difficult terrain. Well, I thought I would turn my Three year old son Nicholas loose for awhile. Needles to say not even a pack through, here are the results - ( I did clean it before bring it in the house. My wifes one big request. )

This one is just barely being held together. I did not even catch it till I got home and started to access the damage. Note: the rod end on the lower link is just holding together. Sorry for the Pictures, Damn Sony camera.

This is the one I thought was the only damage .

I guess you could say he is a chip off the old ROCK. I hope are local hobby store is open tomorrow, need some new Traxxas 3mm rod ends. I only have the 4 mm Revos for the "PD". And no 4 mm tap to up grade.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #22
RCC Addict

If you want I can buy some rod-ends, tap them for you, and mail them out for the price of the ends

Seriously M4 is the way to go... M3 is CRAP
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Man, that is a awesome jesture. I will seriously consider it. I was just thinking about getting a tap and stepping it up. I might have to take you up on the offer.
I have to admit on this rig. I might keep it this way. So, my son has something to learn from. Granted it was about a 10' vertical tumble it took.
There was quite a few times it was balls to the walls. A three year old has some issues with just Throttle and no direction of travel. It bound up a few times, I thought I would be buying axle internals.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Seriously M4 is the way to go... M3 is CRAP
HERE HERE!!
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
Man, that is a awesome jesture. I will seriously consider it. I was just thinking about getting a tap and stepping it up. I might have to take you up on the offer.
I have to admit on this rig. I might keep it this way. So, my son has something to learn from. Granted it was about a 10' vertical tumble it took.
There was quite a few times it was balls to the walls. A three year old has some issues with just Throttle and no direction of travel. It bound up a few times, I thought I would be buying axle internals.
I hear you! hey frustration insurance When you get an M4 tap... make sure its a good one... I HATE cheap ones... Greenfield isn't cheap but I swear by them! I use them on an old {not totally centered!} HAAS HL-10 lathe to tap stuff and even tho it wobbles a little due to not being on center, it works fine and threads perfectly every time

Only time I ever stripped a rod end out {M4/Revo} was when I was in Florida and in a rush to prep the car for going there I over-drilled a rod-end for tapping and after a ton of abuse it FINALLY pulled on the first night... that said it was my fault
Old 07-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #26
RCC Addict

P.M. has been sent to you Crawling Calvin. Thank you all for your input. I do agree should upgrade. I am considering changing links to Delrin. Maybe I should contact Casey for some frog legz.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Smile

I've never used milled links but it is super easy to make uppers and lowers! The tricky part is drilling straight but someone with a lathe or milling machine, or a drill press can do it easily without issues! It just takes a little longer on the drill press!

Got your pm!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #28
RCC Addict

UPDATE :

Well I finally had a little extra cash to do some minor updates to "Litoria Zanthmera". First small mod was the addition of Mini-T springs. I also purchased a pair of VP Razors for the rear. The Last of the Mods is a set of the JoNsEN "Frog Legz".
The "Frog Legz" needed a dye job from the O.E. white for this build. I had not dyed Delrin before and ran into a few minor Challenges. I found that only using the black produced a ugly dark brown. So, after I further research Via Youtube. Best thing to add was Dark blue to the mix. They turned out sweet. I am looking forward to a hard run by myself and my 3 year old Nicholas. We will see if he can break something else.What do you think ?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

DRV - I have a question about your dye job? How long did you leave your delrin in the liquid? Im thinking of dying my frog legs black too. Ive read that some people have left them in over night.
poncho_ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #30
RCC Addict

I actually had done a slow boil three times with over night soaks and the color continued to be a dark brown. What was the ultimate solution was the addition of the dark blue dye. Once I added the blue to the black dye it changed to the color you see.
My suggestion is to use a package of RIT black and one of the RIT blue. Bring water to a good boil add dye. Once mixed lower temp to a slow boil and cook for atleast one hour and remove from heat and allow to sit overnight. If not dark enough repeat by reheating dye slurry and recooking and soak overnight.
Many others have had what I am to assume better results. I was not as fortunate with the first results.

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 08-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Thanks. The results do look real good.
poncho_ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I was quite pleased once I got it right.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

i like the look of the delrin links .do you notice any flex with them?
mayheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Not as of yet, I have not taken it out. Main reason to change was slicker sliding surface and 4m revo ends for durability. I do not really see any flex in the future do to configuration of the links themselves. Casey builds a fine product.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #35
Croakin' across the pond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayheem View Post
i like the look of the delrin links .do you notice any flex with them?
I have the Frogs legs on "Boris" my OG Frogger too. I'm also running 4mm hardware. I've driven mine quite hard since the change and I don't notice any flex. The whole rig is much more stable. I got the clearance at the rear of the skid up by a few mm by switching to the frogs legs.

My chassis set up was v. similar to DRV's (before he went with the Mini shocks) - only key difference being that I'm running an EEM skid.

It's looking good DRV! I've left my legs white - Boris lives in a cave!

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the change of Shocks.

I've seen an increase in TT with the switch to the FLs - not enough to affect performance though. I'm leaving the Losi shocks on, but thinking about stiffening the springs by one increment all round. This move is not to take out TT but I just feel that the rig is a little soft now.

The OG Frogger is a fantastic tool for finding out what can be done with basic AX10 geometry - when you look at it, you could get most of the chassis tuning options out of the original Axial chassis - the body is still so cool though!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Agreed Dasher, On the AX10 tuning. The shocks are actually the stock AX10 units. All I did is Install the Mini T springs and modded the spring cups. I will eventually switch over to the Big Bore Traxxas units w/ the rod end mod to the caps. I did see someone has made some real nice modded caps that do the same thing. Will possibly do that instead. At this point it is all about the money. Still have yet to complete my "PD" build.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

i really like the look of the pd i wish he wasnt discontinue the chassis. i just picked up a stock ax10 a few weeks ago the wife would kill me if i bought something else.
mayheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #38
RCC Addict

I thought my wife would kill me too. Still building, the one above and my "PD" "The official Tuolumne County Poison Dart".
Old 08-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #39
Croakin' across the pond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayheem View Post
i really like the look of the pd i wish he wasnt discontinue the chassis. i just picked up a stock ax10 a few weeks ago the wife would kill me if i bought something else.
Go for it!! - Like DRV, I have an "in build" PD too, although mine is only just in build!

I think Casey has one or two chassis left. You can swap out everything from your AX10 - in the short term you really only need some upper links, F/R 4 link plates and some 4mm rod ends. Then you are always tuning and upgrading a sorted chassis.

You can take to OG Frogger a long way, but the PD will go further. Search on "Frogger" - there are several on here.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #40
RCC Addict

I am quite sure Casey would like to hook you up with a "PD" Chassis. Just tell the Wife you wanted it to be "Pretty for her" and pick a Purple or a Red Chassis. It is like giving her flowers, she will love you forever.