Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My "Frogger" build "Litoria xanthomera"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

yea i have been bugging the wife she said in two weeks so hope there will still be 1 available then crossing my fingers.
mayheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #42
Croakin' across the pond!

Just remember that the "red" is more "fuschia" than crimson!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

yup hopefully the grey 1 is still available but sure i will be happy with anycolor
mayheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #44
RCC Addict

After the initial installation of the "Frog Legz" it did require a few adjustments to the front upper links to get the pinion angle back in line. I was a little concerned prior to installation due to difference of front lower "Legz" length. They really worked out even better than I had anticipated. I will be looking to upgrade without question the shocks now to some "Big Bores". Over all crawl ability has increased quite a bit. At the same time has really shown me the smoothness of the Axial shocks are lacking.
I got a great deal from a fellow RCC the other day. He had a great deal on some "Beef toobs" I just could not pass up. So, now I will be shopping for some O/D and U/D gears to put in at the same time.
Until I can afford the gears. I may just for the hell of it, install a 23t pinion onto the 45t HH. I will have to see if I will let my 3 year old son play with it that way. He has a tendancy to just stab and not steer. It is a great way to find the weak links.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #45
Croakin' across the pond!

I also had to do some readjustments of the upper links to get pinion angle back to an acceptable level. Still thinnking about clocking the front to bring it better into line. I may end up making a new rear plate so that I can extend the upper links further back and also allow them to be placed wider apart at the axle. This is tweaking though as the performance is very good, the reason for thinking about the rear link attachment has more to do with Torque Twist than crawlability.

I've not run the big bores on the OG Frogger - saving them for the PD but I do use 100mm Losi Comps - they work really well. I've also picked up some slightly stiffer springs - they going on soon as the golds are now feeling a little too soft for the chassis.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #46
RCC Addict

A REAL UPDATE :

Another update to "Litoria Zanthomera". Due to funds being low on the R/C end. I have been not doing as much to my "PD". I have accumulated a few items for it but, that is another thread.
So I tore the rear axle apart and put some "Beef Toobs" in and a set of U/D 43T/13T Hardened beveled gears. Also Put a DNA rear upper 4-link plate in with some minor mods to it. I almost forgot to add the VP Razors.

Next up was the front axle. Went and installed "Beef Toobs" and the 36T/14T O/D Hardened beveled gears. Also changed up the front servo mount for the very near future addition of finally LIPO's. And as a sidebar I have (4) Brand New Traxxas Big Bores waiting on some Jeepindougs Ball mounts and Mini-T spring retainers (Ordered today Thank you Doug).

Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #47
Tossin' Salad

Looking good! As soon as you can save the funds for some real knuckles, you should be able to get some awesome steering.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #48
RCC Addict

I have been really considering that Casey. Especially after the set up on my "PD". I still need to finish it first ("PD"). Once I get the Lipos and charger for both of the frogs. I will do a little more to the "OG" and then I will move on to MOA (Just Because).
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Is the ShamWow there for collecting the drool when working

Looks good tho. Aluminum knuckles are a step up over the stock plastic ones. I have some hi-steers that I am going to swap for some VP Zero ackermans on my rig.

Hm OD front... time to grab one
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #50
RCC Addict

I keep eyeballing the 8* Vanquish Chubs and Knuckles. I would probably put those on my "PD" and take the Axial clockables, Zero Ackermann and put the on my "OG". I am waiting for Obama's Stimulis to start working ( That is a JOKE ).
Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Here we go just got done putting on the "Big Bores" Thanks to Jeepindoug. He got the Mini T-Cups and Ball mounts in the mail Friday for me. Just finished up :

The stance now is what I have been striving for from the very beginning. What do you think ? I am bummed I have to work the next several days and I will have no time to take it out and give it the true FLOGGING it needs.

Maybe I will just hand the controls over to my test pilot (Nicholas my 3 year old). He seems to be able to find every weak link in under a pack.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Is the ShamWow there for collecting the drool when working

Looks good tho. Aluminum knuckles are a step up over the stock plastic ones. I have some hi-steers that I am going to swap for some VP Zero ackermans on my rig.

Hm OD front... time to grab one
Why would you choose 0 akerman? Don't we want reverse akerman in our steering setups?
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
Why would you choose 0 akerman? Don't we want reverse akerman in our steering setups?
Don't take my word on it... when you turn you want both tires turning the same way, it works better in crawling. For racing cars ackerman is your friend {I know that much} you can compensate with hi-steer knuckles by putting some toe out into the equation but it can become a big mess
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Don't take my word on it... when you turn you want both tires turning the same way, it works better in crawling. For racing cars ackerman is your friend {I know that much} you can compensate with hi-steer knuckles by putting some toe out into the equation but it can become a big mess
AFAIK regular high steer knuckles give reverse akerman when mounted forward and more than akerman when mounted in reverse. The angle of the steering arm makes the wheel turn faster when it is turned towards the steering arm. If the knuckles are in front toe in produces a more dramatic difference in turning, if the knuckles are behind toe in produces less differences in turning: a longer tie rod reduces the differences in turning.

Would you seek to run a BTA setup with enough toe in with 0 akerman to get the tires parallel at lock and toed in at rest?
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #55
RCC Addict

I am STOKED this morning I ordered up LIPO's from CBP for this build and my "PD" build. Also ordered up a charger/balancer and a couple LIPO alarms. I can not wait to see this rig on LIPO's should be pretty ridiculous !
Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

That's a cool build.Just bought a scorpion.
amatuer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuer33 View Post
That's a cool build.Just bought a scorpion.
I appreciate the kind words. Congrats on the Scorpion Score. Just remember "keep your dreams high and your wallet open".
Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Got a package from Chris the Battery Man. Awesome product ! I had to use 2s 7.4 1000mah ones on this rig. This is due to the Novak Rooster I have on it. The power is so much more consistant now.
I guess I will turn it over to the Test driver in the house and see what he can do to it.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Hey whats your Belly clearance like? Took mine out today and the skidplate kept grabbing eveything. It's a SCX10 skid (I know!!!) which is my problem... Ill be looking for a EEM one now.
RideLowInAGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Mine is the better part of 3". I did a while back try SCX10 skid. Had great triangulation but lost the better part of 1/4" on the belly.