Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: "The official Tuolumne County Poison Dart"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #21
Tossin' Salad

Yessir! That is looking REALLY good. I bet it will work awesome.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Thank you Casey, I did get a little time last night and changed the pistons in the shocks. I still need more research time on replacing the springs.
I do have some really nice looking DH's and SLW's coming in hopefully Friday.
I also finished rebuilding the Transmission yesterday. All new bearings and Robinson Racing Products gears. Man smooth as butter, RRP makes a very nice product. I will need to finish the transmission installation hopefully today. Still working on getting the most out of the motor mount without sacrificing strength.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
Finally, my son gave me a little Dad time to do some assembly tonight. He allowed just enough time to put the lowers together and the " Torso " together. Working on getting some measurments to manufacture the upper links out of Delrin. I hope I will get a little more time this weekend to get them put together.

Anyone else see the similarities

Come on ,,Not one comment on the cute little frog ??

Dude ,,this rig looks so sweet ,makes me want to build a shfty again ,,Nice job ,
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
RCC Addict

All right, Got the transmission finally built W/ Robinson Racing Gears . Got my aluminum spacers from TCS the other day. Had to do the Greased Lightening Anodizing removal. Sorry for the quality of the photo. I did not realize until I went to post how bad it was. ( We all have seen A axial Trans before )

Not the greatest photo of how we squeeze the Transmission / Motor in to this narrow Chassis.

And a few more side shots of it with the trans installed. Also because I like how it looks.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #25
Tossin' Salad

Looking good! I do notice one thing though about your rear upper links.....

If you find that it has a bit too much torque twist, you can slightly shorten the rear uppers and try to get the rear upper links a bit further down at the chassis side. The goal is to try to get the driveshaft output of the axle pointing directly at the transmission...not above.

The front looks spot on perfect.

Other than that...keep on truckin'!

Casey
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #26
RCC Addict

That is so funny Casey, I was just talking to my wife about MIP shafts. And that I was concerned about the rear pinion angle. What are you a Great Prognosticator ? LOL ! ! ! My wife thinks I am.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

SHAMWOW!!!!

But really it is looking great!
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
RCC Addict

I knew someone was going to say something about the SHAMWOW !

Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Yeah, that's cool...

Made in Germany....just like me!

Your gearbox is nearly in the middle of the plate, hope, your motor will fit into the frame of the chassis. Mine didn't, so that I had to set the gearbox as much as possible in the front. But now the MIP is too long, it sticks when the front is 3/4 fully compressed. I had to mount a washer of 5mm to the rodends of the lower links.
And: with my steering angle (I can't mount the battery and the servo on the front axle, it rubbs too much) and my caster angle no BTA is possible.

But yours is a very fine thing!! Continue like that!!

Blader
Blader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #30
RCC Addict

What motor are you running ? I have looked a other rigs and I thought I was correct. I have not purchased the motor for this rig yet. I was planning on a HH Torque master Handwound 35t.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

This one is mine: http://shop.robitronic.com/motor-spe...5t.html?lang=1

Works very well for the price, but the http://shop.robitronic.com/motor-spe...er.html?lang=1 is a monster, he's very big.

You can always change the gearbox position on the plate, if the "engine" is too long.
Blader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #32
Tossin' Salad

I hate to say it, because drilling the skid is no fun, but I think you will have to redrill. The tranny can sit in the middle like it is...that is not the issue. The issue is from this angle.

The tranny needs to be right on the edge of the skid....in order to get the motor inside the rails as much as possible. In terms of clearance, you wont have any trouble with a standard 540 can motor. But, the way you have it drilled now, the motor will stick out of the other side a bit too much. EDIT: you could easily turn the skid around and re-drill. Then use some epoxy to fill the old holes. You would be just fine with that.

I do appreciate this accident of yours...as it shows me what I need to do for upcoming sales. I need to provide a template for sporty and dig rigs for the tranny placement.

Your other option is to try to get a puller motor that is a little more narrow than a 540 can motor. I saw a couple that were a bit smaller, but still packed a punch.

Casey

Last edited by KC_JoNeS; 05-07-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #33
Croakin' across the pond!

I think that the template idea is a good one Casey - I've not drilled mine yet as I'm still procrastinating over the dig / no dig decision - thinking no dig at the moment and the OG Frogger can have the DNA. You may have answered your own question though - why not have future skids drilled at the machining stage with 8 holes - then customers just use it one way around for dig and the other for non dig,

Also, I presume that you recommend countersinking so that the head doesn't catch on the rock - but what length screws are you using? On the original AX10 they are two different lengths but the skid is much thinner of course - On the OG Frogger and the EEM I just made sure that they didn't interfere with the internals but that wasn't a very "engineering" approach!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Well, I removed the upper rear links today and removed 3mm in length from them. This did roll the pinion angle more in line with the rear "Frog legz". I ordered up some MIP shafts yesterday from TCS. When they arrive I will re-evaluate the pinion angle further.
I have yet to deal with the Transmission and skid plate situation. Casey pointed out that he felt I did not have the Transmission over to the side far enough. I am concerned that if I move the trans over any further it will hang outside the frame rail. This is a very narrow chassis and quite a challenge. When I get it dialed in, it will be a force to be reconde with.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #35

Default sick

Very nice bro!!! those axles are sick!!! I can't wait to see it finished and in action
EightFootJezuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Here is where i drilled my skid

Here is the template i made (its on the right)
Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Did you run a dig with it that far forward ? And what drive shafts are you running ? Also how close is the bottom of the trans to the frame rail ?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
Did you run a dig with it that far forward ? And what drive shafts are you running ? Also how close is the bottom of the trans to the frame rail ?

I'm not running a dig but i wanted the tranny as far forward as possible for weight. i am running the junfac 82-117mm in the front and the junfac 95-130 in the rear but it is too short and i am going to be ordering a 107-142mm to replace it.

There it is from the left side
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Ordered up some Jeepin Dougs spring mounts to put into play on the Rustler shocks last night. Also ordered up the Losi Mini-t springs. That should be problem solving to my spring issues.
I have a dig unit coming from xrra_tj. Looking forward to rectifying my trans mounting issue. I figure might as well drill only one more set of holes in the skid. I was planning on a Dig in the future anyways.
Picked up a sweet set of DH Comps and some SLW V4's. Had to order up some Crawler innovation widners for the SLW V4's. Had a little miss communication on some Bullet weights should be here by the end of next week.
I hope to post up some latest pictures later in the coming week. Will probably have to use some Axial Rock lizards for mock up. Spent my tire and foam money on springs and mounts and the Dig. LOL ! should have known I would just keep putting more into set up. I still have not ordered any electronics Servo, Motor, ESC, BEC or a Radio.
I wonder how long I will be sleeping outside once my Wifey finds out what this rig cost to built. Thankfully summers coming and I won't freeze my ass off.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Talking

This is a really cool build so far. Giving me plenty of ideas. The rig looks sweet!!! Cant wait to do one myself. Thanks for all the sweet pics and info. Looking forward to seeing more!!
roadman440 is offline   Reply With Quote