Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ~~ 2011 AX-10 Moonbuggy 2.2 Pro Truck ~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Not much, still working the bugs out of mine lol

I need to remember how to drive a shafty as well, that wouldn't hurt
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrZod View Post
Hey, your build has got me thinking.... I am going to be ordering the GC-3A, but I also have the OG Frogger.... Hmmmmmm. Maybe something like what you did with the GC-2 and Moonbuggy. What do you think?

I will start a thread once I start getting things together.
I think that's awesome Toby, when this hobby started guys where designing and making their chassis and link set ups. It was a very creative period and has become what we see today, literally the fastest growing segment of RC hats of to all the old guys. I was lucky and got in at the tail end of that period, it was fantastic. RCC was full of great build threads and mentors no problem finding stimulation. I really still enjoy seeing and doing the hobby with a bit of the old guys spirit.

I'm building a XR/T1e/Vanquish/10 and it's kind of a Spec car, it's beautiful but everyone has one just like mine and it's hard to see modifications to the design because it's so well done. You will experience the hobby the way it came to into being by building this truck.

I'm subscribed to that build thread whenever your ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Not much, still working the bugs out of mine lol

I need to remember how to drive a shafty as well, that wouldn't hurt
Dam that driving thing keeps popping up, I think everyone has some of that happening. I'm going to have figure out my first MOA I'm sure that will be comical.

You guys always make me jealous this time of year your weather is so nice. I suppose this is a time of year you all enjoy. I sure like that part of the country when it's not at it's hottest, it's beautiful. My parents lived in Tucson for twenty five years and I always enjoyed visiting.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 10-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Dam that driving thing keeps popping up, I think everyone has some of that happening. I'm going to have figure out my first MOA I'm sure that will be comical.

You guys always make me jealous this time of year your weather is so nice. I suppose this is a time of year you all enjoy. I sure like that part of the country when it's not at it's hottest, it's beautiful. My parents lived in Tucson for twenty five years and I always enjoyed visiting. [/QUOTE]

Its pretty nice but still high 90's. Its time to cool off for sure. You ever come into town anymore? Be cool to do some crawling sometime.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

I don't visit much anymore since the old folks moved back to Minnesota. You've seen them on the street for sure, gold colored 'Crown Vic' cotton tops driving in the outside lane ten miles an hour under the speed limit. I'm not sure if they came back because they missed us or lost their Arizona driving privileges.

If I ever do I'd love to crawl with you guys, thanks for offering Eric.

Like I said I have a few better photos, not great but better.

In this shot you can see that GC-2 Delrin link mount, I'm running them front and rear with the upper links in the lowest holes available on the T1E Moonbuggy chassis plates. That keeps the upper links level to the ground both front and rear. This set up allows the truck to wrap around obstacles.

The upper fronts are angled in slightly to make a little more room for the shocks and allow maximum steering. Those who have Super 300s know they throw a mean maximum throw.

In this picture you can almost see the rear upper links shimmed out at the chassis so they remain parallel. the stock GC-2 link plates stock holes are about 3/16 ths wider than the T1E.

I have tried many link mounting location on this odd ball marriage of two chassis. I drove the GC-2 for several years and liked the positive way it handled and couldn't turn it loose.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Just realized I had a better picture of the stand off on those rear upper links at the chassis, still not great but better.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Those GC plates are definitely wider then the T1E plates. I have 2mm spacers on links at chassis and I'm not close to parallel at axle.

Where on earth did you find those ginormous threw bolts at the skid?? not a bad idea but do nuts ever hang you up?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Those GC plates are definitely wider then the T1E plates. I have 2mm spacers on links at chassis and I'm not close to parallel at axle.

Where on earth did you find those ginormous threw bolts at the skid?? not a bad idea but do nuts ever hang you up?
Yeah I run my rear upper links parallel it's a lot of stand off but that's were it works best IMO. McMaster on the bolts it's the way to go, no issues on the nuts or bolts that I could tell. I've done that on the last few trucks.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Here's some more photos of my 2.2 Open class "Gatebuggy" with dig for you.

The rear clearance at full extension is 4" using 3.5 Big Bore with the cap mod running the stock T1e front and rear delrin links with Revo rod ends.

The front clearance a little over 3".

In a natural setting in my yard but you can see the whole truck, not to bad for a shafty. All in all this configuration had plenty of rock time and competitions where it did surprisingly well. It's side hill capability is much better than all of my belly dragging orientated rigs of a few years back. I guess it's true you can't judge a book by it's cover, it looks like it won't but it defiantly will side hill.

The classic two wheels no hands and alot of break over capability.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

What makes this rig do better on a sidehill than your previous, lower, rigs? Anything you can think of that you did differently?
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
What makes this rig do better on a sidehill than your previous, lower, rigs? Anything you can think of that you did differently?
From looking at his pictures, my guess would be his neutral squat/dive settings.

Nice work Norm!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
This was my first bodiless build, so there was a weight loss using the T1e Moonbuggy Shafty chassis for one. I also knew any other weight I could lose in that chassis would help. All those extra heavy duty transmission goodies had to go, the tranny is stock with the old VP (BDW) aluminum out drives. I was sure the tranny wouldn't hold up but it got hammered pretty hard and no problems. I even run 4s packs occasionally.

The suspension settings are something I've been trying different things for 4the last two years, so Jeremy's right. In fact thats the exact same set up I ran last year on my GC-2, no kidding exactly the same.

The bodiless chassis are all very light compared to a full Lexan body. All those thing I mentioned lowered my CG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
From looking at his pictures, my guess would be his neutral squat/dive settings.

Nice work Norm!
Thanks Jeremy, I'm finally building a XR so this truck will be my Sporty rig for next year. I'm pretty sure it's performance will improve without that dig tranny and servo weight. It's been a really good truck even in the open class.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 10-28-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

I have a near kit AX10 but this thread has made me realise I didn't need to spend my hard earned on a XR10, ok there's little in the way of titanium, knuckle weights, ally gearboxes etc. but the basics are there and the weak points are gone

What I'd like to know is how much did it cost you to finish where it's at now (roller that is, no electrics), I'm super impressed and seriously contemplating a retrograde step. The problem I see is availability of upgrade parts, I can't find a T1E Moonbuggy Shafty chassis anywhere, or will the MOA chassis work with modded skid
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxCrawler View Post
I have a near kit AX10 but this thread has made me realise I didn't need to spend my hard earned on a XR10, ok there's little in the way of titanium, knuckle weights, ally gearboxes etc. but the basics are there and the weak points are gone

What I'd like to know is how much did it cost you to finish where it's at now (roller that is, no electrics), I'm super impressed and seriously contemplating a retrograde step. The problem I see is availability of upgrade parts, I can't find a T1E Moonbuggy Shafty chassis anywhere, or will the MOA chassis work with modded skid
Thanks for your question, I've been collecting all the components over the years. I will outline the things that have made a difference.

Axial OD/UD Diff Gears. $35

No picture but a very effective way to increase your front wheel traction

EGRESSor Knuckle Weights $100

This setup really keeps my light weight rig planted during climbs and side hill maneuvers, a must have for a truly low center of gravity. The use of knuckle weights leaves your tires lighter and much more responsive to the throttle.

T1E Moonbuggy Shafty $100

Light weight and built to perform. Not much weight here either.

Keeping all the components stock or as light as possible, trans, drive shafts, links anywhere I could use plastic rather than the heavier metal replacements keeps this rig below 5.5 pounds.

Most of my rig is out of the box with the exception of these I single out as having a major effect on performance and strength things like knuckles and Cs.

I don't have a total for you but nowhere near as spendy as my new XR-10 loaded with Vanquish parts.

Don't forget to budget for a honking big ass steering servo 400 oz or better.

The Big Bore shocks and Mini springs also help you loose some weight while having fantastic performance.

Gunner Beet Toobs by KC Jones give that steering a little effective caster angle.

Hope that helps a little Manx.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 10-31-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxCrawler View Post

T1E is changing a bit at the moment, it's not nessisarily a bad thing. If you read this thread for a page or two it will tell you what's going on and you can make enquire by leaving a request.

The 2011 T1E Rockshow SS
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Norm this is one of the best shaft trucks I have ever driven. I have personally seen this rig pull some vertical climbs and crazy sidehills that a shafty should not be able to do.

Great job.

Now i am waiting for a pm with a sneak peak of the xr
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Mike it's very nice of you to comment.

No pics of the XR yet I've been focusing on transforming this open class rig into a Sporty truck for next year it might not score as well without a dig but it got a whole lot lighter, thought I'd better get the sporty totally ready first.

The XR is pretty much together working on a few tweaks, the funny thing about the XRs it's almost like a spec truck mine looks not quite as nice as yours but yet equiped very similar.

I have a build thread up for the Sporty in the next couple of weeks new paint and all.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

How do I get one of these?
knobbytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbytrav View Post
How do I get one of these?
Here's the main thread, put you request in here, BTF will get you squared away.

The 2011 T1E Rockshow SS
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Here's the main thread, put you request in here, BTF will get you squared away.

The 2011 T1E Rockshow SS
Thanks
knobbytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

No problem glad to help, you won't regret waiting for a Moonbuggy Shafty they are a performer. It's only a matter of time while T1E goes through it's management changes.