Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ~~ 2011 AX-10 Moonbuggy 2.2 Pro Truck ~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ~~ 2011 AX-10 Moonbuggy 2.2 Pro Truck ~~

I'm not a big thread guy but I wanted to give a shout out to T1E for a great chassis thanks Mike.

I've been a die hard shafty guy from the beginning, maybe not the brightest bulb on the tree in the age and dominance of MOA trucks. But I like the challenge of running my rig in the 2.2 open class at my local club, MNRCRC.

I picked up a Moonbuggy shafty chassis from Mike at T1E and married it to my successful GC-2 set up. You'll notice the different battery and steering servo locations. Pure Gatekeeper, even the link geometry is identical to my GC-2 set up it just bolted right up.

Specification

T1E Moonbuggy Shafty chassis and high rise lower links
Big Bore shocks 2660 3.5"
Axial Axles
SDS Super 300 CVD and locker
Axial clock-able chubs
JR 8711 steering servo
Under drive gearing rear
Felsenfest zero Ackerman knuckles and weight system
Beef tubes with caster
Axial Transmission and VP Hurtz Dig with HS5085MG Micro servo
Jakes Performance 37t checkpoint motor on 3S batteries
VP SLW wheels
Hater tires by owner with InNovation DD 5.5 with tunning disks

RTR weight 5.5 pounds

Really just a straight forward shafty rig.

The Felsenfest front end, very low COG.

The tranny and dig.

The old reliable Mamba Max on it's fourth year of service. I even regularily run 4S packs through it and it's still workin, knock on wood.

The amazing ground clearance.

A few shots of the finished truck, forgive the poor picture quality I need a new camera.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 12-09-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Very nice! Inspiring me to work on my shafty moonbuggy tonight.
OxInYourBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #3

that is one sick lookin buggy...i like the look of the rock buggys...thats gnna be my next project after my fj40 tuber
slimm87654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thx again for info. I have some work to do on mine over the off season now
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

About time we got to see a build thread for this crawler. Looks great! I bet it performs even better.

Last edited by TC09mini; 04-26-2011 at 01:16 PM.
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Man the front axle looks like a beast

This rig is awesome!
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

LOVE IT! Tight work!
cornsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Nice battery and esc placement.

Are your front uppers running straight out?

Also: you need a D-Mount on that thing.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxInYourBox View Post
Very nice! Inspiring me to work on my shafty moonbuggy tonight.
Good go get busy, I hope your as impressed with it as I am, it's a great design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm87654321 View Post
that is one sick lookin buggy...i like the look of the rock buggys...thats gnna be my next project after my fj40 tuber
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Thx again for info. I have some work to do on mine over the off season now
Glad I could help, good luck with it I'm sure you'll have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09mini View Post
About time we got to see a build thread for this crawler. Looks great! I bet it performs even better.
Yeah, I wish I was a more prolific thread guy, it's hard putting your junk in front of so many talented builders. It's a very sure footed and smooth as glass I was hoping for good performance but I must say I was surprised when it exceeded my expectations. Rockshow is a great designer and his chassis' are well tested before their ready to sell. He's working on a re-design of this chassis right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Man the front axle looks like a beast

This rig is awesome!
It defiantly is, with tires and wheels bolted on it's 3 pounds. The knuckle weights are 5 Z and as low. I was surprised the handling and performance is also much improved with out extra weight in the wheels.

I laugh every time I see your Avatar that's a great shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn snake View Post
LOVE IT! Tight work!
Thanks snake, your Moonbuggy build got plenty of eyeball time from me when I was considering the chassis, you were a inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Nice battery and esc placement.

Are your front uppers running straight out?

Also: you need a D-Mount on that thing.
Thanks, the front uppers are almost straight, the back uppers are straight but required a stand off at the chassis to match the link mount.

Sorry, but is a D-Mount the steering set-up you and KC Jones are working on? That's is some nice work your doing.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Very nice job One of the best looking shafty moonbuggy I've seen
xrra_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
RCC Addict

nope D-link is the rear 4-link mount Juan {C*H*U*D} sells, I own 2 now, they are amazing!

What kind of ground clearance are you running on there!
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Cool, I'm liking your front uppers. Don't think I can get away with that on a Fastback. Gonna have to go look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Sorry, but is a D-Mount the steering set-up you and KC Jones are working on? That's is some nice work your doing.
Nope, the D-Mount is for the rear.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 04-26-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrra_tj View Post
Very nice job One of the best looking shafty moonbuggy I've seen
Well thank you, that's very kind. I'm one of those people who doesn't really like to post but that felt real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
nope D-link is the rear 4-link mount Juan {C*H*U*D} sells, I own 2 now, they are amazing!

What kind of ground clearance are you running on there!
Yeah, now I remember those they are cool. I'm running GC-2 link mounts on both ends of my rig. I really got very found of the way my GC-2 drove so I wanted to improve on it with greater skid clearance but not change it much. The T1E Moonbuggy shafty really exceeded my expectations.

Best picture I have of the link mounts, I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

At the front of the skid 3 1/8", back 3 3/8" and at the pocket it's 3 1/2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Cool, I'm liking your front uppers. Don't think I can get away with that on a Fastback. Gonna have to go look.

Nope, the D-Mount is for the rear.

You might be surprised, it looks like you could it done. I'll get a couple of picks on those upper links. The rear is flat out GC-2 all the way to the chassis, mounted on stand offs at the link mount and chassis. The front is mounted to the chassis and is a little narrower than the GC-2 link plate allows for. I'll get a couple of shots of those areas for you Dude, my written explanations get a bit confusing.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 04-26-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Wow that is some ground clearance! Last I measured my rig was over 3.375" at the front and way to high in the rear . With no wheel weights stability suffered horidly and that was the end of that {note I am not running a Moonbuggy chassis!}

I am guessing without all the weight in the front of the rig it would just flop all over and that would be that with it riding so high?
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Norm looking good buddy. I must admit its surprising to see a build thread from you. See ya on the 1st.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Wow that is some ground clearance! Last I measured my rig was over 3.375" at the front and way to high in the rear . With no wheel weights stability suffered horidly and that was the end of that {note I am not running a Moonbuggy chassis!}

I am guessing without all the weight in the front of the rig it would just flop all over and that would be that with it riding so high?
That's what I was concerned with and I made an effort to get my equipment as light as possible in the chassis area. I was surprised by how little the extra height made in the handling when climbing, side hilling or in dig mode. I'm sure the knuckle weights help but I'm not running any more or less weight than when I ran weighted wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
Norm looking good buddy. I must admit its surprising to see a build thread from you. See ya on the 1st.
Thanks Mike, your right I'm not a prolific thread producer, I just felt that the T1E Moonbuggy shafty deserved a shout out it has me very impressed, Rockshow really deserves the recognition for a very nice design.

Looking forward to seeing you on the first my friend, looks like the weather is changing and we will have some sun and less wind.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I can say from the first comp, you let me play with your rig a little bit, and it works awsome.
And placed very well for a shafty I might add, beating alot of the OLD moa pros...

see ya on the 1st.

TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

are the gc3 servo/rr mount plates you use an old style? they look quite abit different from what comes in the duratrax kit now.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post
I can say from the first comp, you let me play with your rig a little bit, and it works awsome.
And placed very well for a shafty I might add, beating alot of the OLD moa pros...

see ya on the 1st.

Thanks TomE I'm glad you enjoyed your test drive. I personally think the Moonbuggy chassis really works well with my old GC-2 set up. It's alawys nice when a great rig gets better.

Only problem with a shafty beating the MOAs is at next comp we'll see some of those gates you'll need a RC helicopter to make progress on.

Guaranteed there will hell to be pay for all the shafties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
are the gc3 servo/rr mount plates you use an old style? they look quite abit different from what comes in the duratrax kit now.
Yes they are the old style Erin, the GC-1 and 2 shared that design, GC-1 was aluminum and the GC-2 was Delrin other than the material they where identical. On both 1 and 2 the upper Ft and Rr links were parallel and wide. I'm running the old style link mounts on both front and rear.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Thanks TomE I'm glad you enjoyed your test drive. I personally think the Moonbuggy chassis really works well with my old GC-2 set up. It's alawys nice when a great rig gets better.

Only problem with a shafty beating the MOAs is at next comp we'll see some of those gates you'll need a RC helicopter to make progress on.

Guaranteed there will hell to be pay for all the shafties.

Yes they are the old style Erin, the GC-1 and 2 shared that design, GC-1 was aluminum and the GC-2 was Delrin other than the material they where identical. On both 1 and 2 the upper Ft and Rr links were parallel and wide. I'm running the old style link mounts on both front and rear.
Ok thx, guess i will just make some new plates when i rebuild mine over the season break. Thx