Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My pro comp rig journey...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #101
Tossin' Salad

That is pretty bitchin. But, before you finish fab, get that tranny in first. You dont want the motor and tranny to interfere with your upper link placement. I am not saying it will, but make sure to get it in there before you finish tuning your links.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

yeah its gonna be a minute before i get the FSJ tranny together,but lookin at it and picturing it I think there wouldnt be any any clearance issues because the modified mount raises the links thus opening the drive-shaft area.

was wondering what a replacement skid plate cost? I might have to have 2,1 for AX10 tranny and 1 for the FSJ tranny.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #103
Tossin' Salad

I have been asked a bunch recently for replacement skids...I guess now it is time for me to make some more.
I will have to get back to you on that one.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Sweet,please do!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

So I think I found my model blue poison dart frog for my skins

gonna make some black panels to put behind the topper side windows and try to get the sides/roof/hood to look like the frogs actual skin. that with dying the cross bars black and the skid/frog legs blue this thing should turn heads for sure.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

That rear link mount is not the answer to the problem. You want the links to be spaced further apart at the axle not closer to center. You will Get some bad handling characteristics with that one. In the first pics you showed the rear uppers are to long and need a straight rodend not bent. That would tilt the rear pinion down a hair and relieve the bind in the links. also whats up with you front plate? Why did you cut the holes off the outer portion? The missing holes are where you would optimally want your uppers mounted. Looks like its all coming together though. cant wait to see it go. I have some loaner tires for you also.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. crawl View Post
yeah its gonna be a minute before i get the FSJ tranny together,but lookin at it and picturing it I think there wouldnt be any any clearance issues because the modified mount raises the links thus opening the drive-shaft area.

was wondering what a replacement skid plate cost? I might have to have 2,1 for AX10 tranny and 1 for the FSJ tranny.
I can make a new skid for ya. I have a bunch of white delrin in the shop
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #108
RCC Addict

In my opinion, I would not do anymore with the rear links until you get the VP Rear mount. I agree w/ Highlandcrawler about moving the links further out. I do feel though that the front upper links should be moved one more hole inboard though not out.
I do also question with the placement of the rod ends on the bottom of the plates. I found better / smoother movement with them on top.

With everything I have said, you will need to wait on the fine tuning until 1) Transmission mounted 2) Axles assembled so you can see actual pinion angle. My .02's

I think I heard them loading the Postal truck ! More goodies to be had. Since, I need more $, I need to watch your build to fill my HUNGER !
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
That rear link mount is not the answer to the problem. You want the links to be spaced further apart at the axle not closer to center. You will Get some bad handling characteristics with that one. In the first pics you showed the rear uppers are to long and need a straight rodend not bent. That would tilt the rear pinion down a hair and relieve the bind in the links. also whats up with you front plate? Why did you cut the holes off the outer portion? The missing holes are where you would optimally want your uppers mounted. Looks like its all coming together though. cant wait to see it go. I have some loaner tires for you also.
Nothing final for sure,this was purely test mock up so nothing set in stone.

Once I get the rear plate today I will modify them to be more spread out.

the front plate I got used off of eBay and it came pre shaved,if you really look at it its different then any other VP front plate,this one looked like it originally had more mounting holes then the one currently available.

Thanks DRV,with the front links I can move em in but with them on the bottom they don't bind during shock compression,when they were on top they would do almost the same thing as the rear was.

And I didn't plan on doin shit til I either got the FSJtranny in ox AX10 tranny in and I can't do that til my hurts dig arrives Friday with my black DH pro comp IIs!

Today I should be gettin the rpphobbies box and another tcs box,oh and I have a used and new LiPo comin too.

AAAnd I ordered up a new charger/balancer and LiPo pack off cheapbatterypacks.com for $100,I'm excited to have a new charger my duratrax is not all that great the last few times I've used it.

Any who,loving all the great feedback! KEEP IT COMING!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
I have some loaner tires for you also.
The Rock Lizzards not welcome at the test pile?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
I need more $, I need to watch your build to fill my HUNGER !
funny shit,i was the same way when waiting for my chassis,always lookin at yours,the germans,and the sorta official PD threads.

But not i have my own to stare at and tinker with.

and got the "your package is on its way" email from tcs so my DH pro comp IIs/blue bead rings/hubs and Hurtz dig is in a mail truck in AZ somewhere lol.

thinking im gonna run the AX10 tranny with dig while the XR10 FSJ tranny is in the works so I can have this thing ribbiting around the rocks asap!

its pretty cool,the Blue poison dart frog doesnt have webbed feet so it spends the majority of its life in/on or around rocks,in is very rarely found in the water just like my PD.

Last edited by Mr. crawl; 06-09-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

YAY MORE PARTS!

So I got the rear axle rough assembled with the VP plate on,so I ended up snippin maybe .250 off the rear links and with the review ends and shorter links and VP plate what'd you guys think?

The tranny is just sitting place,as far forward and to the left as possible,I don't have a drill so I can't put the holes in the skid yet(before giving me a hard time for not having a basic tool such as a drill,my garage got broken into last year and they took the 2 drill I had,my new in the box bench top drill press and a lot of other tools too. Effing tweekers!).

Also this fxr is Freakin tiny! Got the capacitor snipped,bend and ready for the soldering process,also gotta plan where its all gonna go with the tranny in place.

Well til next time!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #113
Rock Crawler

I think its looking pretty sexy. Just a couple more little opinions though.
In those last pics if you were to drop the rear upper link at the frame to the hole down and back it would bring the uppers a hair closer to level ( your not looking for totally level) and push the pinion angle perfectly at the tranny. Also you might wanna consider mounting the rear links on the outside of the frame if possible. It will really help keep you flat and stable when climbing. It will help keep the chassis flatter when you launch hard from a dead stop with that big horsepower also .

Keep in mind though these are just one mans opinions and by no means anything you have to do. We all like things different and have different goals for our trucks. You are off to a great start on this thing and it should perform well. I offer tires because with the lizards you wont see any of the potential of all your cool parts. They wont even get you off the flat ground most of the time
Old 06-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

Took some pics outside and discovered my camera was set on fluorescent so its not super blue.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

That's funny, I already moved the links to that hole and considered moving the links to the outside so I would say were at the same mission with finding a adequate set up.

Thank you for all your input and tips man I really appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #116
RCC Addict

You know I should now take my rig outside and do a photo shoot. That blue looks awesome with natural foreground colors. I am loving the way you are going at the build.
I agree with highlandcrawler, we all build different and drive different lines. That is what I really love about this hobby. We "The Poison Dart Builders" even though we all have the same basic chassis. Our own approaches and ideas is what makes this a
challenge.
When all is said and done, it comes down to you and your creation against the rocks. BRING IT ON !

Great Job ! Mr. Crawl, thank you for giving me my fix tonight.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Hell yeah man,take that sucker outside and snap some sunny day shots,i took pics with my actual digi cam maybe i'll load a couple of those too.

ya know even though we share the exact chassis minus color,we share specs(link lengths,positions,shock lengths),we even share parts(front and rear 4 link plates,servos,electronics,digs,wheels/tires) yet every one is different in sooooo many ways its awesome!

I cant wait to take this out to Highlandcrawlers' test pile and see what he's got! the poison dart,its a boy. lol

and glad i could satisfy your fix,i anticipate your next picture/progress update.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #118
Rock Crawler

YAY MORE PARTS!!

and started installing electronics since i just mounted the AX10 tranny too.

hopin i get my 4pl and hotwire,DH IIs/rings/spacers,today!! still waitin on FELSENFEST spools before i can complete the axles,also have a pair of CI bead spacers for the SLW v4,no slop knuckle bushings,charger/battery,BEEF TOOBS,bearings,need to make or find a BTA for high caster.

YAY CRAWLERS!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

so after dickin with my soldering gun for 45mins or so i got it to work better then it ever has!

so i got the batt/motor wires soldered and the bec soldered to the ESC batt wires,i need to get some heat shrink for the bec/batt wire splice.

Also built the rear axle with the new gear and the 2 beef toobs i could get to thread through. the gears bind and the only thinh i can thing is bearings?

i have new ones on the way but probably wont be here til next week,Id like to get this thing runnin so i can fart around at the mini moab in NorCal.

heres a pic of the rear axle

and a pic of the solder job
Old 06-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

More Goodies!

the 4pl is soooooo nice and hi-tec! and the brood seems like a stout motor cant wait to get some juice to it,picked up a new charger with a balancer and 1000mAH 3S lipo pack to power this PD

Brood! what can i say simple yet elegant,all show is in the go!

Dicked around with the hotwire a bit,pretty trick gear im happy i went with tekin!

I also got the internals for the XR10 tranny,just need to get my hands on one of those gunnar output shafts hehehe.

Well back to dickin with the 4PL and charger,the booklet for the 4PL is .200" thick pretty insanesy.

Last edited by Mr. crawl; 06-11-2011 at 05:26 PM.