Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My pro comp rig journey...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking My pro comp rig journey...

Well after taking a 3year rc hiadus i think im ready to jump back in,but this time im after some comp action.

For starters i have a AX-10 kit i had stock for a couple months then got into scale for a second and thats where i dropped it.

as is the AX-10 has:

-TCS X-trail chassis
-TRX big bore shocks
-rcp crawlers 2 position clockable C-hub carriers
-rcp crawlers clearance knuckles
-rcp crawlers strait axle conversion
-bent lower links
-TCS front servo/UL plate
-Axial sintered axle diff locks
-RC4WD 1.9 rock stompers with black scale wheels
-Custom made billet motor mount plate
-custome made 303SS outdrive shaft
-HS-5645MG
-intigy 55T lathe
-Thunder Power 2100mAh/7.4v 2cell 15C cont/24C burst(31.5A/50A) Li-Po
-Airtronics MX3 Radio
and whatever parts i did not mention are bone stock!

My mission is to convert this monstrosity into a fairly sick fairly pro comp rig i can actually win with.

I already have a Frogger Poison dart chassis ordered,I wanted red until i learned of my native poison dart frogs coloring to be either a tan sand covered mild green and a blue with white rail type striping down its back and black spots.

So i hopefully changed my order to blue so i can theame it "Dendrobates azureus" A.K.A. Blue poison dart frog with the blue chassis and white top and BPDF textured skin it should look pretty sick.

Ok on to the list of needed parts:

-Novak goat 3S crawler brushless system 18.5-got a tekin fxr/brood hhk-r/t 35T
-cc 10amp Bec unit
-battery? help?
-All new bearings less tranny
-VP high steer zero ackermann knuckles
-36/14t front bevel gears
-38/13 rear bevel gears
-Mip CVDs-got axial universal instead
-HR tranny gear set-gonna sport a XR10 frontside Jones tranny
-FELSENFEST No slop spools
-tires/foams? HELP?
-Spektrum DX3R-got a FUTABA 4pl
-Hitec 7950
-New UL-.315 dia. Delrin rod
-new ball ends brand-revo rod ends
-VP front battery/ servo 4 link plate
-VP rear 4 link plate
-VP Hurtz Dig,really worth it?
-VP DH Pro comp II wheels
-the up and coming Jones'n RC BTA "Rediculous" caster steering system(whenever available)
-Gunner tubes from Jones'n RC

and thats about it on my list,if i missed anything let me know.

this will be my first comp rig so any info/help is well appreciated,i hope to have this crawlin by septemberish or sooner if funds allow.

soooo heres some pictures of the current set up right before dissassembly

AAAAnd apart

Custom made motor plate and outdrive shaft

well thats it for now,hope to get lots of feed back on my rig and the choices i made for the build.

take care guys n gals.

Last edited by Mr. crawl; 06-04-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I inspired you. I am inspired by that shock set up. THAT IS INSANE, I would love to see that in operation. Talk about outside the box WOW ! I just got home from working at the race track. I need some sleep but, I will be tuning in for more. GREAT JOB !
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

lol thanks buddy,yeah your PD build is sick! Ive been wanting to get back in the swing of things and have been searching for a tits chassis to use and your build inspired me to make that decision to go frogger.

I might mock a couple other things off your build but not too many lol

and the revo rocker arms wow almost everyone that see it,and the kicker is there was 0 modification other machining some threaded post to bolt the rockers to the chassis.

was thinking of tryin to pull some rocker frogger action off but might abort and play this one strait and go for gold.

and yes please stay tuned as you could help me loads with some wheel/tire choices and maybe some battery tips aswell?

been out of the loop way too long and can only read soo much in a day when theres easily a couple decades worth of knowledge on here.

Last edited by Mr. crawl; 05-31-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you need some input you should make it out to some local comps and some of our gtgs. There are always a couple of us close to you that would love to help get you back into the swing of things. There are a couple of national caliber drivers very close to you
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Subscribed.... This is going to be an interesting build me thinks.
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

tires would be hot bodies rovers and battery would be cheapbattery packs 1300 35c 3s
and foams i would say proline 2 stage
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
If you need some input you should make it out to some local comps and some of our gtgs. There are always a couple of us close to you that would love to help get you back into the swing of things. There are a couple of national caliber drivers very close to you

where are the comps man?!?!? ive seen a few get togethers a year or so back and now that im back in to it i never see anyone anymore.

so whos down to meet up and help me get the jist of todays pro comp set ups in person?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

CmdrZod:this should be interesting but I dont think its gonna be anything out of the norm as far as poison dart builds go any way.

asw27x:thanks bro,im plannin on pickin up some of the white dot rovers and VP wheels with weights. and for battery was thinking bout forking out the dough for a 2000+ mAh maxamps LiPo to compliment the 3S novak goat crawler system.

well i thought about it hard and decided im not gonna get to my 2 seater sandrail build so i put my 07' ninja ZX6R motor on CL for $500 to hopefully get this comp rig built and on the rocks as fast as possible.

Also thinking I'm gonna start with the axles and beef those effers up!

so next payday im gonna order:BEEF TOOBS,No slop spools,beveled gears,battery/4link plate,VP 0 ackermann high steer knuckles,bearings,shocks,rod ends,MIP CVDs,gunnar pins for it all,servo and maybe the motor and speedo.

That outta get this build off to a nice start eh? stay tuned.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

http://www.dorkstarproductions.com/o...ead.php?t=9018

Here is a link to the event listings as far as the comps near you. I will shoot you a pm next time we go out. Thats a lot of stuff on the list there. You should come out and chat with some of the local crawlers and get a feel on some needed and useful mods. Always glad to meet fellow crawlers
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a plan buddy!! i cant wait to get in to comp.

im minutes away from most of the comp sites in So. OR,i will be at those sites as much as possible as soon as i get this rig goin.

I'm down to just hang and watch a couple of ya fartin around,dont have to even be a comp to get me to the rocks.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well after doing some more poison dart set up specs reading I decided to rebuild my trx big bores and prep em for the build til you other PD runners come to a final decision as to what shocks are prime for the PD set up,so far lookin like rustler shock sets are the best almost direct bolt on shock,yeah?

so far i read that the prime lengths for the poison dart are 3.5" F and 4" R.

after pondering on that for a few minutes i came up with this.

thats a front shock,has internal spring shortened to accomadate for shortening,you can also see the brass spacer i slid over the shock shaft to suck it down to 3.5" eye to eye

here you can see the difference between the front and rear,the rear has a .054 spacer in them to bring em down to 4" on the dot eye to eye the rears also have rc18 springs and both front and rear sport 30WT. oil and stock axial top caps forced on and no leak from them, any leak comes from the shaft end O-rings.

and heres a side by side of the custom 303SS outdrive shaft me and a buddy made(left) and the stock one (right)

might be a little overkill but it pissed me off that the aluminum one blew up before any plastic grears did.

well thats all i can do for now,all i can do now is wait and keep watching your guys builds to help me pass the time til i get to open that big white envelope holding the PD!

Last edited by Mr. crawl; 05-31-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Tossin' Salad

The poison dart is coming man...it is coming.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
The poison dart is coming man...it is coming.

Casey
NIIIIIICE!!!!!! I'ma smilin tonight,thanks KC your CC Effin ROCKS!!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Had a Q for you guys on the clocking C hubs,i have rcp crawlers alum clockable Chubs will they work with Gunnars BEEF TOOBS for rediculus clocking?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
Try to Bend it

Yes they will, you will just need to either elongate the existing holes in the C's or drill some new ones.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Man, if your not careful you will have the "PD" built without the chassis. LOL ! It is going to take you 15 minutes to put it together. I can't wait for you to start assembly. I am almost as excited about yours as I am mine. Come on DHL !
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Thanks HL,I'm gonna see about getting both holes milled open so theres a .350 x .150 sorta oval slot to just be able loosen the screw and clock em.

DRV KRAWLER: No shit right,if i can sell this clod stuff and motor i would have these axles ready to go before it gets here and I feel you on the excitement. I have a pic of yours off the first page W/O wheels on it as my background on my computer.

should have it by friday right? never got a tracking # from KC.

Last edited by Mr. crawl; 06-02-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Tossin' Salad

All the tracking numbers are listed on my Skype at work. I will have to send it to you tomorrow. My assistant sent them all to me.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
All the tracking numbers are listed on my Skype at work. I will have to send it to you tomorrow. My assistant sent them all to me.

Casey
Awesome no worries,I figured your just a busy man.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Crawl View Post
thanks hl,i'm gonna see about getting both holes milled open so theres a .350 x .150 sorta oval slot to just be able loosen the screw and clock em.

Drv krawler: No shit right,if i can sell this clod stuff and motor i would have these axles ready to go before it gets here and i feel you on the excitement. I have a pic of yours off the first page w/o wheels on it as my background on my computer.

Should have it by friday right? Never got a tracking # from kc.

lol !

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 06-02-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: edit