Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: another ax10 build, it's a 2.2 esse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team423 View Post
nice rig how do u like the 55t?
I could see how a handwound motor would work better in a lower turn, but I can't imagine a cheap one like this doing well below 55t. As the motor broke in the low speed control has reduced significantly. I do not have unlimited control when crawling, it's either not moving or pushing the truck along at a fairly good clip.

I have never used a good motor, so I can't even begin to comment on that. I have also never run gearing other than what is stock.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Ive not run an upgraded motor yet but I will say this much. They wouldn't be selling them like crazy if they didn't work I am about ready to throw my Novak 55T into the "burn pile" and get a new motor when funds allow.

That being said I think I made some progress on my rig by pulling it out of the corner and studying how to improve the chassis {}
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #63

fix the media fire pictures. you're a constant inspiration.
boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Screw mediafire! Screw the pictures!

So I've made a few changes. I was told to get rid of the short springs in the rear and grab some Losi golds, so I did. It's nice, but a bit stiffer than I would like. It's definitely more predictable with the longer spring, so hopefully I can fix myself up with some blacks or maybe just put these under a book overnight. I haven't touched the rear oil since changing springs, but I don't mind the behavior of the rear shocks.

Hopefully some fun shock stuff coming up in the future for the front, maybe that fancy rate stuff maybe just one hole pistons. I dunno. Does anyone have trouble with the shocks sticking after the truck has sat for some time?

Anyway, I made a new front plate to get a more solid mount on the servo and to provide more freely articulating uppers. Before I had a thin aluminum plate mounted right on top of the pumpkin and now I have a thick piece of cutting board mounted at the top of the little mounting tubes that come on the housing. That makes such a big difference in COG of the car. If I can find some lipos to fit under it I think I might just make it back, but if I can't I will probably end up thinning out the plate in the center so it can sit down over the pumpkin - just a little higher than the aluminum plate did. With the new uppers I was able to get the brxl down onto the driveshaft. I have written the reciever off as neglegable in terms of COG, but all those damn wires are not. Maybe I'll make like everyone else and stick it under the servo.

The biggest problem with having the servo plate so low is when you have the tie rod on top of the knuckles. It will swing into the servo. I got rid of the tie rod in favor of an extra drag link and think I might be OK running the smaller draglink on the underside of the knuckle so it won't interfere with the servo, and I can just offset the battery and trim the plate on the other side.

I have some wonderful reverse ackerman at lock and just a hint of toe out at rest. The servo is mounted far enough back to pull the knuckles all the way to lock, which makes me all sorts of happy.

Pictures!
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #65
no talent hack

Looking good shane. Are you shooting for a 200 point lead next weekend?
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil View Post
Looking good shane. Are you shooting for a 200 point lead next weekend?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #67
no talent hack

Replied to your post in the San Diego thread. Go look
Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Talking

Loooks nice! Got to love them wires... I like to "hard wire" when I can my motor to my ESC... if not just stick some bullet plugs on very SHORT wires so they can hook up to the ESC and it really cuts down on wire-load. If your gutsy enough you CAN cut and re-solder the wires from a servo and so on to JUST fit the space you got but that's up to you...

I have thought with a 3S lipo {and some fancy work again... } you COULD divide the cells out so one sits under the left, one sits under the right and yet another straddles the ESC or sits wherever. Its more or less vanity but that's what TINY packs are for if you can live with the loss in run time... I have a 2S, 460 Mah "Rhino" pack from Hobby City {haven't crawled with it so I can't say how well it would work but in theory it would } and that is one TINY battery. It has the footprint of a Sidewinder V2... much easier to mess around with than a larger pack.

I got a Dig {yea im a rebel } for my rig so I decided I need to swag it up more so if I have any wham-bam ideas I will post up for you to look at
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

I did shorten all of the wires to a little longer than the 'correct' length, and that seemed to make a nice little difference. I would like to have the receiver mounted upside down under something, to keep as much of the nest as low as possible. Considering where everything is, lowering the wires will provide some marginal gains. Especially compared to a potential BTA, softer rear springs, front shock magic, lowering the servo and battery, and... TIRES and foams. hahaha!

So I went out and bought some pin tires because they look so cool. I have been less than impressed with my rovers on some rocks at the next local comp site. I may have just been spoiled on some super grippy rocks, but it's hard to resist a USA made tire and some sweet sexy looks. And I get to ruin them by cutting off pins!

So my brainstorm ended with a rover-like pattern in the rear. I was going to cut off 2 rows every 2 rows, but I didn't want to remove 50% of the pins. So I removed 3/7'th of them. 2 save, 2 remove, 2 save, 1 remove. I am kind of hoping the rears will gain a little bit of hop from this cut for some sweet pretendo dig on the sidehill.

I want the fronts to be more consistent and I wanted to try out some stupid idea I have. I'm not sure if it will work, but I hope it does! I used a random number generator to grab numbers between 1 and 7. There are 7 pins in each row on the tire. I generated 25 sets of 3 numbers, and removed 3 pins from each of the ~100 rows.

I can always buy new claws, but I may not always have this kind of motivation! hahaha, that took way too long.

As far as foams go, I'm gonna try out some new stuff. I had been running proline dual stages in all 4 corners. I cut about 1/4 of the width off of one pair and stuck them in the rear. I took rover stock foams and shaved the outside off until I made an hb inner. I took some proline memory foams that came with the hammers and made outers from them. I made the outers thinner than you usually see, with a thicker hb inner. It feel very nice in the tire. We will find out tomorrow if they stay!
Attached Images

Last edited by opek; 12-08-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

The tires work great. It might just be the pins, but they have a bit less traction at lower weights so the back end is a bit looser, but will still drive the car straight. The fronts are very predictable and controllable in one direction, and complete shit the other. Hoppy and not enough extra bit to make it anywhere near worth it. Funny how it works out like that.

The front foams are very soft. Great wadding and forward bite even on smooth surfaces. But on sidehills they aren't so sexy. The tire will wad up and roll over just a tiny bit more than I want it to. Not really enough to use the sidewall as a traction surface, but with too much weight on the side lugs. I will definitely sipe the side lugs, since I am really banking on them when I roll the tire over, but I will probably cut some medium stiffness foam I have into some tuning rings of sorts to stick on the outside sidewall. Hopefully that will control the rollover and give me a bit more traction when turning up a sidehill.

The rears are really cool. I think these foams would work very well in my front pair of rovers, with full width proline dual stages in the rear. Again I might have that rollover issue since the front axle is so damn heavy, but with those narrower foams it would be even easier to tune in with some rings.

The claws will climb everything the rovers can and a few other things. They do have trouble on some of the climbs the rovers have less trouble with, but nothing that cant be solved with a little speed and a neutral suspension. If I can keep my rear shocks from bottoming out on the way to an obstacle I am set, haha.

On that note I have some losi blacks 1.2lb springs coming for the rear, but I don't think I will get them before tomorrow. I will need to brainstorm about rear shock settings or maybe even jacking my link geometry even more to get rid of some of that anti squat. It's really making it more difficult than it needs to be to bump up obstacles, when the rear drivers shock is so quick to bottom out.

BUT - I'm sure I'm missing about 2 shocks worth of oil, and I'm also sure it didn't come evenly from all 4 shocks! So maybe I'll just refill them losi 55wt drivers 30 passenger and see if I'm still stuffing the left rear.

Anyway, I probably won't rebuild the shocks tonight and I probably wont take the tires apart. I will just run it like this at the comp so I have even more cool shit to do while I wait for the next one. If I DNF it's the foams and the driver, not the tires! :laugh:

Last edited by opek; 12-09-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

shane, did you test these out at del cerro? check with Nabil, I've seen him run these tires at del cerro.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHuffer View Post
shane, did you test these out at del cerro? check with Nabil, I've seen him run these tires at del cerro.
No I did not. I just ran them on a bunch of rocks at Corral Canyon I feel are similar to some of the surfaces at Del Cerro I don't like. I don't think the pins will have trouble with the grippy rock out there. I hope Nabil will chime in, I will certainly chase him around tomorrow with some questions.

I didn't mention it in the first post, but the front foam dimensions are something Nova's Ark would be proud of, the rears are a little bit stuffed in there.

Last edited by opek; 12-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Shane, where are you out crawling. Google couldn't pinpoint if you were a reasonable drive or way to far for a mini-comp

I can't chime in to much about pins but the trend seems to be removing pins if need be... I ran some old boss claws {home made} for a good while and man those could grip and the pins were WORN. Adam Drake did a nice job of shredding the pins off the tires but despite that I still had some of the best traction ever
Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Gotta rep the SDRCRC! Come on down to San Diego and see our wonderful craft beer scene!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
Gotta rep the SDRCRC! Come on down to San Diego and see our wonderful craft beer scene!
I'm only 20 so no beers for me but I need an excuse to swing by Mission Vejio to drop something off with a friend... What's your nearest date for a comp! I need to get ye olde Hobbes going . At least she has a dig and a better servo!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

No worries, great root beer too!

Next comp is in like 12 hours, lol. After that you will have to check the SDRCRC thread and I will shoot you an PM when a date is posted. Maybe we can meet halfway in LA or something silly.

So about them shocks. I just couldn't let it sit crooked any longer, haha. I redid the fronts with 15wt Losi oil and 1 hole pistons. Hopefully my glue dries before I need the damn thing back together! The rears are 55/~30 Losi oil. I have my gold springs wedged in a crack and hopefully they will be softer for tomorrow!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Root beer! Tasty!!!

Lol! Ok sounds good. If someone wants to crawl Mission Viejo that would work time to find that DX3 rx
Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

I finished up the shocks, just as described above. I don't think I've ever posted this pic, so here she is in all of her backwards 60/40 glory. And there is another shot, proof I'm using those damn axles to the extreme!
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #79
no talent hack

what wheel hexes are those?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Default Re: another ax10 build! CW Rocker Sportsman

I think they are made by JFab.

another ax10 build, it's a 2.2 esse - Similar Threads