Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: NorZepol's UGC Fastback II Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default NorZepol's UGC Fastback II Build

Well I could not bring myself to expose my Axial based DMG Aluminiti to the harsh environment of the rocks. So I ordered up a Underground Crawlers FB II! I may repurpose the DMG into a FOFF. Anyway, got the FB chassis Monday morning thanks to Juan's fast shippment. I started the build after work. So here is the start:

All chassis parts laid out.
Name:  Fastback Build #1.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  58.3 KB

All the "other" parts off my DMG.
Name:  Fastback Build #2.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  59.7 KB

First part to be installed, the included D Mount for the rear upper links.
Name:  Fastback Build #3.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  47.0 KB

The main chassis and skid.
Name:  Fastback Build #4.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  64.9 KB

The bodiless topper together minus the front shock mount.
Name:  Fastback Build #5.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  58.9 KB

Main chassis, topper, and front shock mount together.
Name:  Fastback Build #6.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  35.2 KB

That was all for Monday night, hopefully a little more progress tonight.
NorZepol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Looks like your off to a good start. Can't tell by the pics but are you going to be running a dig?
poncho_ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. I do plan on dig. I have the VP version. As of now it has the mini mount and servo but it looks like there is going to be clearance issues. Im going to try and put the full size servo mount on her and see if that shifts everything toward the rear so that it will clear.Im working on it now, should have more pics tomorrow
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

There's not much space with these bodyless rigs. Looking forward to the updates.
poncho_ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The VP dig will fit in there, but it's a tight fit for sure. I had to run one of the screws that mounts to the cab portion to the lower frame from the inside out to clear the arm on my dig servo for both the std servo and mini. Mine is the v1 but it shouldn't be that different.

Lookin forward to seein where this build goes
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

I figured Saturday would probably be pushing it, but glad you got it on Monday. I have a VP dig in mine as well....tons of room
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post
The VP dig will fit in there, but it's a tight fit for sure. I had to run one of the screws that mounts to the cab portion to the lower frame from the inside out to clear the arm on my dig servo for both the std servo and mini. Mine is the v1 but it shouldn't be that different.

Lookin forward to seein where this build goes
Thanks for the heads up. Ill flip that screw around if I get a chance to do some work tonight.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I figured Saturday would probably be pushing it, but glad you got it on Monday. I have a VP dig in mine as well....tons of room
Thanks Juan, I love this thing.Monday worked out for the best since my daughter had a Volleyball tournement on Saturday anyway.Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well got a little more done Tuesday night. First I got the rear axle and suspension installed.
Name:  Fastback Build #7.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  33.5 KB

At this point is where I realized the clearance issue with the dig, but with the help of some fellow RCC members I have a fixI'll get to this tonight hopefully.
Name:  Fastback Build #8.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  44.3 KB

Now goes the front end. Had issues with my existing EEM delrin lowers being too long so I made up some all thread ones. Ordered a couple of Vanquish Titaniums last night, and they shipped todayGoing to replace all the uppers also but want to get it running first. The other issue I have is with the shorter front end my MIP driveshafts no longer work, but all I need is a short (dig) male dog bone. If any one has one they would like to trade for the standard AX10 length or sell, PM me.
Name:  Fastback Build #9.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  54.7 KB

Well, got her on her wheels now. thats it for Tuesday. Wednesday night maybe some disassembly to fix my dig clearance issue.
Name:  Fastback Build #10.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  55.4 KB
Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

this is how i had to mount my dig at first.

it works but you have to take out the middle topper support. I ended up making a mount to extend the servo

This is how it looks now.

I like the way you are going to mount your dig servo. Please give us some detailed pics of it when you figure out how to mount it.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well, not much progress this weekend. I did receive my Vanquish titanium lowers for the front. These things are sweetI think I am going to replace the uppers with them also, I know they are big in diameter but as long as they fit I dont care.
Name:  Fastback Build #11.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  162.3 KB

Also got a short MIP shaft I needed (thanks 928darwin)

Im waiting on a dig servo, should be here tomorrow. Then I can get into the dig clearance issue.

Thursdays mail order will include a BWD motor guard and motor plate.

Still gotta make body panels and get a servo guard, then the motor ($$$)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well, I didnt want to just sit around waiting on parts. Decided to make body panels this weekend. I made them with a horror theme (favorite movie genre) I don't have the skills some guys on here do but they will serve their purpose.
Name:  Fastback Build #12.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  112.8 KB

Name:  Fastback Build #13.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  Fastback Build #14.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  172.5 KB

Name:  Fastback Build #15.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  30.3 KB

Now just need to move some wheels and tires to purchase a new Holmes Motor, I have the BWD motor plate and guard on the way. Ill address the dig clearance when I get all the parts. May be a few weeks
Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Those skins are sweet man. nice set up so far also. Could you post up in some detail about the clearance issues with the dig when you get to it. Im looking in to trying to fit one in mine and it does not look easy
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Hey man those body pannels look pretty cool. Just wondering how you did the splatters though?
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
Those skins are sweet man. nice set up so far also. Could you post up in some detail about the clearance issues with the dig when you get to it. Im looking in to trying to fit one in mine and it does not look easy
Thanks. Ill update as soon as I get my parts in and resolve the issue.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Hey man those body pannels look pretty cool. Just wondering how you did the splatters though?
Thanks man, i just lay them down as the first color, dip a good size brush in red and sling the paint off the brush where you want it.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Oh that sounds pretty eazy. I thought that it would have been more complicated. Thanks for responding.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Great looking build. I to had a vp dig in my fasty that is now my sons. If I can offer some personal advise I would try as hard as you possibly can to get as much down low as possible. I went nuts trying to do that. I groved the top of the skid to hide wires between the tranny and skid. I would see if you can get that dig servo even lower. I would decase the rx and hide it possibly on the front links. I would even consider using a drimel to drop the front tray, maybe even hide your bec and rx under that. Just a few ideas but the lower cog is so important from my opinion especially when side hilling. I will also be curious to see if you plan to leave your shock tops on the front on the outside of the topper.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Great looking build. I to had a vp dig in my fasty that is now my sons. If I can offer some personal advise I would try as hard as you possibly can to get as much down low as possible. I went nuts trying to do that. I groved the top of the skid to hide wires between the tranny and skid. I would see if you can get that dig servo even lower. I would decase the rx and hide it possibly on the front links. I would even consider using a drimel to drop the front tray, maybe even hide your bec and rx under that. Just a few ideas but the lower cog is so important from my opinion especially when side hilling. I will also be curious to see if you plan to leave your shock tops on the front on the outside of the topper.
Thanks for all the suggestions. As far as the shocks up front, I did try to mount them on the included mount but in that position the steering link will contact the shocks. I may need to limit up and down travel in the rear shocks as it does not rest level and the rear lower link contacts the drive shaft at full compression on the driver side.
Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #20
www.team3sixrc.com

Now that looks sweet. Im digging that for sure. Juan does a nice chassis!
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote