Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Don's 2012 Sporty - BWD AX-10 Wedge Low Pro with NEW Proto Steering - More Pics!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Don's 2012 Sporty - BWD AX-10 Wedge Low Pro with NEW Proto Steering - More Pics!!!

I've been sitting on this one for the last several months and decided this week that I need this thing with me at Crawlapalooza next week...so I've been here in the shop this weekend working on it.

It's based on the standard BWD AX-10 Wedge but was designed for lower COG and lower shock mounting points, to make it more friendly for a bodiless setup. I'm using Losi 4" crawler shocks, with .7" internal droop springs out back and .8" internal droop springs up front. This puts me right around 50% droop as it is. Both have Losi 27.5 weight oil in them. Articulation is smooth and clears a tire height on all 4 corners.

For steering, I'm running a 3/8" delrin tie rod up front to my Falsenfest knuckles, and have one of my XR steering arms bolted to the right front knuckle so I can run my servo horn and drag link BTA. I still have to machine the drag link I managed to get a few degrees of positive caster out of my front end...using the parts that I already had here. For now, the servo is a Hitec 7955TG.

The cab is something I threw together for next weekend. I have a similar concept that is the exact same but has a curve running from the top of the A pillar to the tail. It looks pretty sick but I have no time to make one this weekend so what I've got will have to do.

I'm running a Holmes BR-XL and 16T Crawlmaster for power...still waiting on the motor tho. My motor side body panel will be routed around the exposed motor, which will be shielded in one of my new Motor Sav'rs.

More to follow.

Don
Attached Images

Last edited by billet works; 02-17-2012 at 04:02 PM.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

|I| hate you! Not really. OK, scrub me ever talking about the freaking SSS. This one I will be buying for sure.
I still believe in Shafty class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
I've been sitting on this one for the last several months and decided this week that I need this thing with me at Crawlapalooza next week...so I've been here in the shop this weekend working on it.

It's based on the standard BWD AX-10 Wedge but was designed for lower COG and lower shock mounting points, to make it more friendly for a bodiless setup. I'm using Losi 4" crawler shocks, with .7" internal droop springs out back and .8" internal droop springs up front. This puts me right around 50% droop as it is. Both have Losi 27.5 weight oil in them. Articulation is smooth and clears a tire height on all 4 corners.

For steering, I'm running a 3/8" delrin tie rod up front to my Falsenfest knuckles, and have one of my XR steering arms bolted to the right front knuckle so I can run my servo horn and drag link BTA. I still have to machine the drag link I managed to get a few degrees of positive caster out of my front end...using the parts that I already had here. For now, the servo is a Hitec 7955TG.

The cab is something I threw together for next weekend. I have a similar concept that is the exact same but has a curve running from the top of the A pillar to the tail. It looks pretty sick but I have no time to make one this weekend so what I've got will have to do.

I'm running a Holmes BR-XL and 16T Crawlmaster for power...still waiting on the motor tho. My motor side body panel will be routed around the exposed motor, which will be shielded in one of my new Motor Sav'rs.

More to follow.

Don
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
sim
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome! Are those 6" tires?
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

just when I think my sportsman is lined out and just how I like it.... you go and do this! you are not helping my project a.d.d.....
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Try to Bend it

Very nice mate. It really has a hot rod feel about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Looks awesome! Are those 6" tires?
Tyres are Khaos/Rovers by Crawler Innovations. (Khaos/Claws in this instance) they measure around 5 3/4".
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Very cool Don. Another quality setup.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm really diggin this chassis

If I ever decide to swap out my fastback, I think I know what it'll be for.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Very nice mate. It really has a hot rod feel about it.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
RCC Addict

If I owned ax10 axles I would be all over this chassis.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Very nice mate. It really has a hot rod feel about it..
Agreed! I love that look Don
I have one question though, and it's really an interpretation question for myself. What I'm wondering is this section of the rules, especially the parts in yellow:

▪2.1.4 - Bodiless vehicles: Must be a self-supporting, structurally complete, rigid frame. The roof must be raised a
minimum of 1” from the main chassis
to resemble a cockpit. The frame sides must be an overall minimum of 1” tall (The
cockpit & frame side are to be measured vertically from where the hood intersects the cab
). Bodiless vehicles should
resemble a 1:1 vehicle.

The reason I ask is it looks like less than 1" if measured vertically from where the hood intersects the cab. Is it more than 1" or am I interpreting the rule wrong? This is by no means trying to give you a hard time, I'd just like to know if I have the idea behind the rule wrong. If so, it opens up a lot of ideas I've been wanting to try.

Very cool design though

Juan
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Agreed! I love that look Don
I have one question though, and it's really an interpretation question for myself. What I'm wondering is this section of the rules, especially the parts in yellow:

▪2.1.4 - Bodiless vehicles: Must be a self-supporting, structurally complete, rigid frame. The roof must be raised a
minimum of 1” from the main chassis to resemble a cockpit. The frame sides must be an overall minimum of 1” tall (The
cockpit & frame side are to be measured vertically from where the hood intersects the cab). Bodiless vehicles should
resemble a 1:1 vehicle.

The reason I ask is it looks like less than 1" if measured vertically from where the hood intersects the cab. Is it more than 1" or am I interpreting the rule wrong? This is by no means trying to give you a hard time, I'd just like to know if I have the idea behind the rule wrong. If so, it opens up a lot of ideas I've been wanting to try.

Very cool design though

Juan
The top of the roof is raised more than 1" from the main chassis and is raised more than 1" from where the hood intersects the cab. I don't see where it says that the "A" pillar has to be at least 1" tall . Nearest I can tell, no one is confused as to where my cockpit is. It calls out "where the hood intersects the cab" but I dont see anything about where the a pillar intersects the roof.

I suppose I could be totally wrong tho...it may be a good thing I only cut one of them

Thanks bud
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
The top of the roof is raised more than 1" from the main chassis and is raised more than 1" from where the hood intersects the cab. I don't see where it says that the "A" pillar has to be at least 1" tall . Nearest I can tell, no one is confused as to where my cockpit is. It calls out "where the hood intersects the cab" but I dont see anything about where the a pillar intersects the roof.

I suppose I could be totally wrong tho...it may be a good thing I only cut one of them

Thanks bud
Thanks Don....this has confused me in the past, and I thought you had the answer figured out which is why I asked.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Again, I'm not saying I know for a fact that it will be accepted, I'm simply sharing how I'm seeing it.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
Suck it up!

How I've always interpreted it...

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Reminds me of this.

ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
How I've always interpreted it...

Agreed except nothing mentions where the roof intersects the windshield/A pillar.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Agreed except nothing mentions where the roof intersects the windshield/A pillar.
Both the roof and the pillar are parts of the cab structure.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Both the roof and the pillar are parts of the cab structure.
agreed but as stated, the roof easily exceeds the 1" from where the hood intersects the cab to the top of the roof. Hadn't even seen the rig that RR posted but that A pillar looks no taller, yet the top of the roof in that pic is also easily over 1" above where the hood intersects the cab.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Not trying to get involved in the rules discussion, just saying it reminded me of a rig in the XR section, I like the hot rod look.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Not trying to get involved in the rules discussion, just saying it reminded me of a rig in the XR section, I like the hot rod look.
Lol, not worries boss, not trying to stir the pot here myself. I didn't think mine was the first ever that utilized the chopped look with a short A pillar...and I was right as you have proven.

That XR is SICK