Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: new Fastback "The Mean Bean"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default new Fastback "The Mean Bean"

First and for most BIG THANKS TO JUAN for making it look like I won this chassis. Saved me so much naggin from my girlfriend about spending money on my crawler and not her And crazy fast shipping ordered late Friday and got it early Monday

This is my fast back build as of right now its just slapped together and way untuned.
Electronics

Tekin FXR and 35t motor tuned and set up perfect
Castle BEC set at 6v
Stock AS-2 servo surprisingly strong at 6 volts
Sky lipo 3s 1300mAh packs

Chassis is a Fastback with custom made panels out of a 2ltr bottle and a monster can< hints the name

its running Vanquish DHs up front 4 weights each and stock RTC rims out back with around 3oz in each. White dot Sedonas with stock/stock RTC hybrid foams. 4 linked all around with D Mount out back with stock lower RTC uppers out back and need longer uppers up front. 30* rear lowers and straight fronts with homemade shock risers out back.

NEEDS TUNING SOMETHING FIERCE any suggestions from my Sh**y pics anyone has feel free to let me know.

and for those who dont know what Mean Bean Monster drinks are....Try one there great and now for the pics expect more to come as I work the bugs out.

top made

lower portion made

the roof panel

assembled

Glamour Shots

Actually like the beat upness of it

good rear flex fronts crazy stiff as of now

yeah.. its eaxctly what it looks like
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I am prity much running the same setup as you the only differnce is I am running a 45T br00d and running losi grey springs and 15wt oil and im loving it looks good
RockMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMafia View Post
I am prity much running the same setup as you the only differnce is I am running a 45T br00d and running losi grey springs and 15wt oil and im loving it looks good
Thanks alot I got some clearance issues with the tires hitting the shocks Im thinking about brewing some risers up for the front also. What size shock suits the Fastback my stock RTC ones seem a little short in the front.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am running axial shocks with a small rod end on the front so it brings it to 100mm from end to end and i use a standard rod end on the back with some Vp rozors ill post some photos when i get home for you if you want
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Your front lowers are waaaaay too long. What is your wheelbase at?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Your front lowers are waaaaay too long. What is your wheelbase at?
It sits dead on 12.5" Ive got 98mm front lowers and bent 101mm rear lowers. the tops im not sure of honestly what ever came with the metal link kit for a scorpion.

Last edited by xjcritter; 10-04-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I am running axial shocks with a small rod end on the front so it brings it to 100mm from end to end and i use a standard rod end on the back with some Vp rozors ill post some photos when i get home for you if you want
That would be fine if you like stock shocks are longer than that so they should fit no problem. I think dude has stated a good issue...but it seems right in measurement..
Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
That would be fine if you like stock shocks are longer than that so they should fit no problem. I think dude has stated a good issue...but it seems right in measurement..
The fastback was meant to run short links up front and long links out back. IIRC, Dicky T had the definitive FB build thread...it'd be worth reading if you haven't already.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Congratulations on your win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
The fastback was meant to run short links up front and long links out back.
And ditto what the Duuuuuuuude said. Your front links do look a bit long. The Fastback is designed so the front and rear shock angles are the same. This means longer links in the rear and shorter up front. Looks good otherwise though!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I would recommend to put the switch under the roof ;)
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

this is what my rig looks like i dont know if you can see anything that can help you
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
That's pretty much what I'm talking about. You can see how his fronts are at more of a 45 degree angle. Shortening your fronts will get yours up some more.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Congratulations on your win

And ditto what the Duuuuuuuude said. Your front links do look a bit long. The Fastback is designed so the front and rear shock angles are the same. This means longer links in the rear and shorter up front. Looks good otherwise though!
Which is whats weird to me Im running the same links as Rockmafia is unless he shortend them.

So in other words I could just bend the bottom links up a bit like high clearance link essentially shorting them up and it would be right? That make sens to anyone but me
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

That does make sense, but not when you consider your wheelbase is right at 12.5".

Out of curiosity, what's the eye to eye length of your shocks?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post
I would recommend to put the switch under the roof ;)
I missed this the first time, but I'd agree. One of the advantages a bodiless has is it's ability to roll over when on it's roof. Once you start doing that, you'll rip that switch clean off. I actually prefer to remove the switch at the ESC and bridge the contacts with solder. This helps clean things up a bit inside the chassis.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
sim
Quarry Creeper

Or if you have the BEC hooked up to the receiver, remove the switch and don't bridge the contacts.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

the shocks are 4 inches there just the stock scorpion RTC shocks. The switch is pretty tucked in back there but I do see your points and thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Heres some closer pics maybe someone can see the issue.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
Heres some closer pics maybe someone can see the issue.

Your link lengths are not correct for the chassis. If your search for the build thread that was mentioned earlier you can read about the exact link lengths people have been having success with. If you move the chassis forward it will raise the ground clearance, stiffen the front suspension, and soften the rear.

I don't know much about this stuff, but I don't see anything wrong with your setup as is so long as you make the shocks do what you want them to.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

ieght guys I got bored and sick and tired of staring at it heres what I came up with

MOA style links anyone...may not be perfect to each other bend wise but there EXACTLY 4 1/4" eye to eye

the drive shaft hangs a little lower than I wanted but shouldnt be to much of a issue

little closer view of the drive shaft

the shocks cycle flawlessly through out. Some minor minor link clearance issues but nothing to worry about.

Welp let me know what you guys think of this mod I like it but Im also kinda clueless about comp tuning