Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: C*H*U*D's Sporty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
You gonna make it to the winter series comp this sunday with this thing?
And yea, yea yea, bring it!!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Looks good, whats the belly height at?
Just over 2.7" at the front...tick higher at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

How did you stuff your esc under the hood without smooshing it on compression?
Compressions would smoosh it, but it's fine during articulation.

Quote:
You really need to set your goals higher.

Sucks I couldn't make it tonight.
I've made it a habit of setting my sights reeeeeeallly low....you should see my golf scores. And yes you should have come on out...you missed a Hell of a good time For those not in the know, Colorado is rock chucking country. Last night a new precedent was set and a judge was chucked...right out the front plate glass window I said GATE Damn it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltgpierce View Post
Speaking of beer, is the glass from the PumpHouse Brewery in Longmont, CO?
Yes sir...right down the street from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
Man I cant wait to start on my sport truck for this season. What did you do for steering or are you hiding it on purpose
Axial BTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Looks like a bta to me...
Yep...BTA

Quote:
You gonna make it to the winter series comp this sunday with this thing?
I'm going to try. I ran it for the first time last night, and it needs some tweaks but it works. Probably won't have time to make any changes this week so I'd run it exactly the same. I've been trying to get the Chrizzly Bear to come down and today he said he may run Guido in Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Looks good, I think I can beat it though! .
I think Jason said it best...You really need to set your goals higher Besides, I can't compete with a Crawlapalooza Supers Champ...Congrats Patrick!!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #23
No idea what I'm doing

I've been doing some work on my 2.2 scaler setup and needed new wheels. I made some spacers for the RC4WD Steel Wheels and Proline Swampers but needed something to test them on. I decided to throw them on my Sporty for tomorrow night's comp. No weight but it should be fun anyway

Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Wow that is one awesome looking rig right there The fastback + the super swampers is out of this world...

Oh and nice job hiding what version of Tormach CNC you got
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #25
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post

Oh and nice job hiding what version of Tormach CNC you got
Not trying to hide it at all...I have the 770 and I love it. The only CNC of it's size that I could get into my basement, full 3 axis, flood coolant and big enough for any RC parts I can think of I seriously thought about the 1100 but that would mean I'd be out in my cold garage all winter.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I got a little CNC jealous there, sorry

You forget how handy a CNC with "travel" is when your working on a big Fadal that's got enough room for a nice 6" chuck AND a vise and has enough travel to spare

I am in the process of retrofitting my Sherline with a Gecko board and a few {gnarly} homebrew upgrades. I still find it sadly ironic that most machines bigger than the sherline have less Y travel than it does that said once I have a steady enough job a Tormach would be nice...

Whats your coolant, I am using Kool 77 mixed to their specs and so far, no rusting issues
Old 10-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #27
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I got a little CNC jealous there, sorry

You forget how handy a CNC with "travel" is when your working on a big Fadal that's got enough room for a nice 6" chuck AND a vise and has enough travel to spare

I am in the process of retrofitting my Sherline with a Gecko board and a few {gnarly} homebrew upgrades. I still find it sadly ironic that most machines bigger than the sherline have less Y travel than it does that said once I have a steady enough job a Tormach would be nice...

Whats your coolant, I am using Kool 77 mixed to their specs and so far, no rusting issues
I hear you...I'm just starting to learn what this mill can handle since I'm used to our big Milltronics VMC at work. The load is much smaller but this mill is just as capable, if not more since my CAM package at home can handle 3D machining, and at work all I have is 2.5. These wheel spacers are not really a good example of what the 770 can do, but I have other ideas that I want to try out

Right now I'm using Super Premier 600. Can't really say what I think about it yet but it seems to run pretty cool. We use Liquid Ice at work which I love...some of the best finish cuts I've seen since we got our VMC.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Then again I wasn't counting on my Sherline in "hi-speed mode" {kiss any torque goodbye } was doing a 3/4" depth of cut, .01" step over at about a 2-3" feed rate in ? grade steel side milling and didn't sound all that nasty. That is with a {cheap} Enco 1/4" rougher and about a 2200 RPM on the spindle... I was impressed... and that's with the "flimsy" 8-direction head on the machine. Now that I have a 25 LB solid steel Z axis column im sure it can do more

3D is time consuming but if you need to use it, its well worth it. Ive done 3D in "2.5D" but im not going to grumble, the parts turned out superb and my friend was amazed and all was well.

At my first, lasted a week and 2 days, job we used some Swiss Lube mineral oil coolant/lubricant on our swiss style machines but since our "mist cutting units" weren't doing their job I got really sick off the air and quit. So im all for water based for that reason
Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

thats a nice rig. whats the name of those tsl looking tires?
team423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

pro line makes the tires
They are true TSL-SX replicas

NOT comp crawler tires though, I had a set I am sure they work out for scale rigs though.
durrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #31
No idea what I'm doing

Had it out last night and I was actually surprised with how well these tires did. The wheels were a problem since the increased backspace really narrowed my stance, and not having weight in them really hurt my center of gravity, but the tires weren't bad.

Now that my spacer test is over though, I'm going back to my Sedonas.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #32
No idea what I'm doing

So the Rovers and Sedonas are back on. Last comp I finished dead center...I'm so average

I ordered a set of XR-10 universals this morning, so I should have them early next week. I need to do something about the LCC's we have.

A few months ago I got a couple of emails asking where the Viper and Fastback were made. I thought everyone knew that everything I sell is made in USA but I guess I was wrong. They know now

Old 11-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #33
Suck it up!

Ha! Thats cool.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Love the skins boss!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking Sporty C*H*U*D, I sure love the Steelie look nice work.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 11-15-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #36
No idea what I'm doing

Default XR-10 Mod

I've wanted to do this mod ever since I saw it in EGRESSor's Sportsman thread

Mine differs just a but from his. I didn't cut and weld the shafts, and I'm not using toobs. I'm also just using the stock plastic pieces I had leftover from my XR-10. This mod was originally intended for my SCX and those parts should be plenty strong for it. This truck will more than likely get VP upgrades. But for now...

The first thing to do is cut back the shafts 11mm.

It's very important that the two flats are parallel so I made a quick V-block and put them into the mill.

Here they are next to the stock AX-10

As you can see, the shafts are pretty small compared to the stock piece. I don't think I would trust doing it this way if I was using the stock lockers, but I have developed this habit lately where every time I open an axle, one of these XHD No Slop lockers finds it's way inside. I love these things and honestly believe they have made a noticeable difference in how this truck, and my scaler climbs. They are definitely going into my 2.2 Wraith Axled truck soon.

The bearings were pretty shot, so I decided to replace them all with one of Boca's AX-10 Axle kits. I kept seeing Boca advertising on RCC so I thought I'd give them a try. Very fast shipping and great customer service.

Once the locker was mounted and bolted down, it was time to grease it up. I've been using Norm's new grease and really like it. Much better than the Bel-Ray synthetic I had been using.

The stock XR-10 C's require you to put them on before you insert the shafts. Since the locker needs to be installed with the shafts first, this is no longer possible, so the ID of the C needs to be opened a bit at the end. I used an X-acto to get most out, then a .5" drill bit by hand to clean it up. This does not affect the splines.

The C's fit MUCH tighter than the stock AX-10 parts. I had to trim off the bosses where the screws went in. Then I drilled the C's and tapped them for M3 for a bit more strength. M3x6mm button heads finished it up.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #37
[HOONIGAN]

Looks good Juan....... I'm doing the same thing on my TJ scaler.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #38
PapaGriz Yo

THat's it? That's all you gotta do to have Super300 turning?

Holy crap man.......
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
Looks good Juan....... I'm doing the same thing on my TJ scaler.
Thanks Rodney...I have scaler plans too. These plastic parts will probably go on my 1.9 Hilux if I have to upgrade this truck with aluminum parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post

Holy crap man.......
You better get some....Rodney and I, and all the cool kids are doing it. Guido would love you for it
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #40
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post

Holy crap man.......

More than super 300 steering...... I have XR-10 universals with longer beef tubes on my sporty and its awesome.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote