Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: C*H*U*D's Sporty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
More than super 300 steering...... I have XR-10 universals with longer beef tubes on my sporty and its awesome.
Copycat! its really best way to go, no need to lube anything or worry about snapping cvd pins. Mine have held up to a 10lb ttc rig on 4s
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

At least one good part came out of the Xr's!

sporty looks good Juan, gonna have to go wide if you want that steering.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #43
PapaGriz Yo

I don't want the crazy width of the Wraith axles, I just want the benefits of u-joint shafts on an AX axle. I think Juan is going for the same thing, trying something different.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #44
No idea what I'm doing

I didn't want it too wide either. I know that I'll run into some issues with the narrower width, but I also plan on new wheels in the future. I'm not a big fan of super-offset wheels, but a bit more than what I have now would be nice.

My reasoning for keeping it narrow is for gate clearance. With a non-dig sporty, it's not as easy to align with gates the way you would always like, and I wanted to keep it a bit narrow. If it proves to be a problem, I can widen it for the next go-round and put this front axle on the scaler. As it is now, this mod adds almost a half inch to the width, so it may be enough.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #45
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
As it is now, this mod adds almost a half inch to the width, so it may be enough.
I think that's reason enough to give it a try. 1/2" is pretty good.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good! That's how Krawlfreak and I did our 1.9 scalers front axles. Surprisingly the plastic has held up to 13.5 brushless on 4s abuse.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Great build.
Thanks for linking vendor parts in your posts. I'll have to see about getting some of those HD lockers and the Boca bearing kit.
Subscribed.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

I have some XR shafts that I plan to use on my Fastback II chassis. Just one question can you still you AX chubs and knuckles with the XR shafts?
Onebdgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I've wanted to do this mod ever since I saw it in EGRESSor's Sportsman thread

Mine differs just a but from his. I didn't cut and weld the shafts, and I'm not using toobs. I'm also just using the stock plastic pieces I had leftover from my XR-10. This mod was originally intended for my SCX and those parts should be plenty strong for it. This truck will more than likely get VP upgrades. But for now...

The first thing to do is cut back the shafts 11mm.

It's very important that the two flats are parallel so I made a quick V-block and put them into the mill.

Here they are next to the stock AX-10

As you can see, the shafts are pretty small compared to the stock piece. I don't think I would trust doing it this way if I was using the stock lockers, but I have developed this habit lately where every time I open an axle, one of these XHD No Slop lockers finds it's way inside. I love these things and honestly believe they have made a noticeable difference in how this truck, and my scaler climbs. They are definitely going into my 2.2 Wraith Axled truck soon.

The bearings were pretty shot, so I decided to replace them all with one of Boca's AX-10 Axle kits. I kept seeing Boca advertising on RCC so I thought I'd give them a try. Very fast shipping and great customer service.

Once the locker was mounted and bolted down, it was time to grease it up. I've been using Norm's new grease and really like it. Much better than the Bel-Ray synthetic I had been using.

The stock XR-10 C's require you to put them on before you insert the shafts. Since the locker needs to be installed with the shafts first, this is no longer possible, so the ID of the C needs to be opened a bit at the end. I used an X-acto to get most out, then a .5" drill bit by hand to clean it up. This does not affect the splines.

The C's fit MUCH tighter than the stock AX-10 parts. I had to trim off the bosses where the screws went in. Then I drilled the C's and tapped them for M3 for a bit more strength. M3x6mm button heads finished it up.

This is good stuff. Good info and pics on the install. I think I have all this stuff sitting around here except one of those fancy chassis. Looks like I need to order some stuff for a new build now. Do you mind if I use some of your pictures? They are much nicer than my own.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #50
RCC Addict

I know quite a few guys running that tire combo one of which was dickyt a long time ago. You might want to get that setup a shot. The wider stance of the dona's just seams to work better with the higher COG of a shafty.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

that xr10 universal mod has lit the fire I needed to dust off my FB and start tinkering again.....very nice work sir....now to find that precious commodity...time.
slowlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #52
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
...now to find that precious commodity...time.
If you happen to come across some extra, send it up my way

Before I start, I want to state that this is not the way I plan to run this. I saw a few other setups last Tuesday night that I like better, and I plan to use a little bit of both later. I had this halfway finished so in the spirit of tech, I decided to post it up.

I put my knuckles on backwards since the Stock XR steering arms hit the link/shock mounts on the stock AX axle. Fabbed up a quick tie-rod.

While I was at it, I made some quick steering arm weights Actually these are just spacers to tie the two arms together for some added strength. I wanted as much surface area as possible, and had this 3/8" brass laying around. It's also threaded through for M3.

This is obviously not ideal, but works and I'll probably run it next week if I don't find the time to redo this setup.

I needed a longer servo horn, and had two new Robotronics sitting around. Unfortunately they were both for Futaba, so the HS-7950TH was out, and the 9157 was in. Felt bad losing the Hitec since it's always worked flawlessly, but I don't have the time to get a new horn. I have about 4 other 9157's in other trucks, and never had a problem either, so I'm not worried. I also need a longer screw.

I'll adjust the caster with new links, but it's nice to get the pinion up a bit.

The steering is better than stock, and I really like getting rid of the dogbones, but it's still not what it could be. The added width did help though, and right now I have no plans on going wider. I switched to 800mAh batteries for the size and I may move that servo in with a new plate.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 11-25-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #53
Suck it up!

Lookin' good.

How is life without dig?

I wish Axial would make universals for the AX10. I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

That is looking sweet. What is causing the steering to stop? Is it the servo or shocks/links? This is just my thoughts but you could add a bit more caster and get the tires swinging a little different. It looks like you could gain a few extra deg if the tire swung above the servo and below the shock. I will reserve comment on that draglink lift kit
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #55
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Lookin' good.

How is life without dig?

Love it...this truck was starting to become an "Ol' Dusty", but with our Tuesday Night comps, it's found new life again

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
That is looking sweet. What is causing the steering to stop? Is it the servo or shocks/links? This is just my thoughts but you could add a bit more caster and get the tires swinging a little different. It looks like you could gain a few extra deg if the tire swung above the servo and below the shock. I will reserve comment on that draglink lift kit
The stock XR steering arms hit the stock XR Chubs, and that's what limits the steering so rotating the hubs on the axle or changing the caster won't have any affect. That's why I don't plan to run it like this for very long.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

looks good....wishing I didn't live so far away from the space.....
knobbytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #57
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbytrav View Post
looks good....wishing I didn't live so far away from the space.....
If you're ever in the area, swing by

Took it out today for a quick run. The extra turning was immediately noticeable The longer servo horn and shorter XR steering arm was also noticeable I don't have time for a rebuild so I plan to comp it this Tuesday night as is. The short steering arm isn't an issue with the XR because of the reduced scrub radius, but with the AX-10 setup, it's an issue.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

I will!
knobbytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
they do its part No ax30464 ive got them in my ax10 TCS crawlers has got them for $24.99 or am i thinking about the wrong parts

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
RockMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Axial make's cvd's for the ax10 not universals.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote