Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: controller/reciever recommendations. dig/brushed vs brushless?/?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default controller/reciever recommendations. dig/brushed vs brushless?/?

hey guys. i have some newbie questions s dont beet on me to bad. i am looking for a decent controller for my scorpion so i can run a dig unit. i am also looking toward a brushless setup as well. i am new to this and could use some help. is there a reciever that can do it all. like run nimh and lipo batteries o the same reciever and that is also compatible with brushed and brushless motors or am i just wishfull thinking? i might be sounding like an idiot but thats why im asking. i was looking at the novak nov5450 dig unit and would love to try it but i only have the original controller for it. what is a popular controller to use? is a brushless setup really worth it compere to a brushed? mine will crawl like all get out but it wont turn up like others i have seen.
mudd_slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I recently purchased a Futaba 4PL. I cannot beleive what a difference the unit makes. All I can say is AMAZING !
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've been running the Futaba 3pm for a while, on complaints. It's a good, cheap, 3channel entry into the 2.4 realm.

If you're going to be using the radio for a wide range of rigs, fast and slow, the 4PL is great. The 4pks has a slightly faster response time and it also double the price.

Many are going with hand wound brushed motors for their smooth power delivery and strong drag brake.

I've got the novak brushless goat system. it's a 2s lipo compatible system and also works with nimh. So far it's worked fine.

for a dig unit, I've got the VP hurtz 3 pos shifter dig.
axial, dig, ax10, rc4wd, hot racing, ckrc
to take full advantage of this your 3rd channel needs to be a 3 position switch. I think they new 3PM has this, but you'll have to check.
Jessf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

is the brushless really superior compared to brushed? or is it in the setup one has? i have a venom 60t modified brushed with a 4600 batt and it crawls really slow that i like but just doesnt seem to have that kick when you need to call on it. it just doesnt turn up real well. my friend has a 27t brushed on a lipo and even with bigger tires than me his will turn up fast as hell but he doesnt have the crawl i do. i just dont get it we have the same spurs/gear? whats the drastic differense between the two rigs?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you are looking for brushless go for Goat 2S or 3S.
I liked brushed setup on my axial better, I had Mamba Max and Tekin 45T on 3S. Very nice low end and enough wheel speed. You can also look for Tekin Fxr, anything between 35T-45T is good
For transmitter - starting from DX3E the sky is the limit. Look for a set which has 3rd channel 2-5 pos switch (adjustable!!)
Heido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Suck it up!

For a transmitter, find something within your budget that at the minimum has adjustable end points and a 3 position 3rd channel.

Since you're new, skip the dig and learn to drive. I grabbed a dig right away when I started and relied on it way too much. Since I got rid of it my driving has really improved.

I've tried brushless but still love the brushed.

Also, that Novak dig unit you're looking at is for moa's like Bergs or XR10s, not shafties like AX10's or Creepers.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i realized i was looking at the wrong dig after that post and then lead to the right one. thanks for the replies. i am new to an extent. my driving is pretty good but i also see your point on relying on the dig to much. i am always testing myself. the electronics is where i get confused. i also like the brushed over brushless. though i havent much experience with brushless. i know they can make mad power in my t4. i still dont see how my friend is making so much more power than me. should i go to a different turn motor? i have a novak 540 27t i just ordered i was going to try.

Last edited by mudd_slinger; 10-23-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Suck it up!

A 27t will certainly give you more speed, but less torque. I run a handwould 35t in my comp rig, powered by a 3s lipo. Good speed, good torque.

Most brushless motors work really well when you want to go fast, but suck when you want to go slow.

I ran a dig for almost 2 years. Once I took it off I realized how poor my driving skills were. Its a tool that has it use, but being a good driver will get you further.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
For a transmitter, find something within your budget that at the minimum has adjustable end points and a 3 position 3rd channel.

Since you're new, skip the dig and learn to drive. I grabbed a dig right away when I started and relied on it way too much. Since I got rid of it my driving has really improved.
I'd have to agree with the Duuuuuuuude. If you are new, I'd say get a sound grasp for what your truck can do and concentrate on your driving,

For a radio, I'd say go 4PL first and don't look back. The 3PM-X is a great radio, but I bet it won't be long before you want to start stepping up your game...the 4PL will be there for you to grow but the 3PM-X will hold you back. Plus extra receivers for the 4PL are cheaper (go figure), and besides, how many of us have only one truck?!?

And Welcome to RCC
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys. im really picking up on what you saying and am reaserching the items. so whats so special about the hand wound motors? give me some knowledge on them. they sound interesting
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Suck it up!

More power, smoother startup. Price is a bit more but its worth it.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

what turn motor, spure/gear would you recommend. i like it slow mostly but like some pep if i need it.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
Suck it up!

I run a 35t on 3s. Stock spur, 16t pinion. Nice and slow or fairly quick and snappy, it works both ways.

If you're just going to bash and hammer on the rig, I'd buy something less expensive that you won't feel so bad about tearing up. Chances are you're going to smoke at least one motor, so do it with a cheaper one.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Try to Bend it

A 35T or 45T with stock gearing and 3S. will have just what you are looking for. I would even suggest running a 2S pack for the first few months until you know what your doing. because as a beginner 3S will shred parts pretty quickly.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

cool thanks for the info guys. i appreciate your input
Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

for a controller i bought a spektrum dx3c. it has the 3 position 3rd channel. the biggest drawback is it's only a 3 channel radio. the price was excellent and it does everything i need. i got mine at a steal for $70, i think the going price is like $100-$125. for double the money you can get the futaba 4pl. it's a better radio, and has loads of features. it was out of my price range at the time, and i didn't see the need for the added features.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

is my 60t just a slow motor? i have a venom 4600mah on it and it has no speed at all. it will climb anything but just no full throttle speed at all.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Yup. Thats a slow motor.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i just run up on a castle creations sidewinder SCT ESC and a futaba 3pm with reciever that was mentioned before new for cheap. are these pretty good and be a good combination. i am looking for a good motor now but dont know what i need to step into. maybe a 35 or 45t. i made another thread asking for more info on different motors and such. i also got some used imex rubicon 22x16. are these worth a darn? they are a little bigger than my 2.25x4.93 pro line hammers. i put on my hr inner spring shocks and it put my center clearence a little lower so i am looking for more rubber to help with the clearence issue.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I run a 9ch hobbyking stick radio with a rooster setup and a 45t and have had no issues and works well with all my trucks.
dodgesavageone is offline   Reply With Quote