Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Szczerba's FF-SZ 2.2s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Szczerba's FF-SZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw707 View Post
So I've been running narrow wheels all the way around, and like the way the rear tracks. Have you tried narrow rears with the wide fronts?
After seeing this build, and the videos of this truck I'm totally impressed, I'm going with some width on the front tires...but keeping the narrow rears
I have not tried that setup. It makes sense.
I do have CrawlerInnovation's SLW wheel wideners sitting on my wheel shelf. I ran them on the Khaos-Rover and Sedona setup but pulled them to reduce wheel weight.
Just don't get too out of wack with the front/rear difference in total track width. The rear will start to get "tipsy" on some sidehill crawls unless you do some spring tuning.
On all my trucks, I try to keep the front and rear widths within a 1/4" of each other.
Like on this truck, front is 10.75" up front and about 10.5" out back. My berg is the same.

The truck does good. I just don't slow down and drive it like I should. I run this truck after the MOA and I lose my patience sometimes and start just blasting through the courses.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #202
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info
Hacksaw707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #203
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I have not tried that setup. It makes sense.
I do have CrawlerInnovation's SLW wheel wideners sitting on my wheel shelf. I ran them on the Khaos-Rover and Sedona setup but pulled them to reduce wheel weight.
Just don't get too out of wack with the front/rear difference in total track width. The rear will start to get "tipsy" on some sidehill crawls unless you do some spring tuning.
On all my trucks, I try to keep the front and rear widths within a 1/4" of each other.
Like on this truck, front is 10.75" up front and about 10.5" out back. My berg is the same.

The truck does good. I just don't slow down and drive it like I should. I run this truck after the MOA and I lose my patience sometimes and start just blasting through the courses.

See, I could not get that track width if I wanted to on my losi, my tires would be wrapped all they way around my shocks when I turn. Those Evo ones also look to be a 1/4" wider than the khaos from your pick. I do think they are shorter than the non Evo though. I will get my new combo in and let you know how it goes!

Ok, I contacted AKA. The Evo version is the same width as the non Evo, but the Evo are a 1/4 inch shoter than the non. The Evo is a hair over5 1/2" and the non is 5 3/4".

Last edited by Tgreer; 03-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Haven't comped with this truck in about 2 months until last weekend. Pulled 3rd in 2.2s class. Front driveshaft retaining ring wouldn't keep the tabs together. Had to take a penalty repair.
Time to put the modified Junfac back on and trim it down to eliminate all binding. Good to go now. Long story but the adapter has to stay on the axle output pinion cause I cut the Junfac too short a few months back.

Swapped out to my 2.2 Pro wheels and tires. D-Lux carbon fiber wheels, Khaos-Rovers, CrawlerInnovations Closed cell inner foams. Soft outers up front and medium outers out back. Fronts are 5.7oz each, rears are 5.9oz each

Laid the shocks down one hole
Put pink springs up front
Added some anti-squat to the front
Added some squat to the rear
Swapped to the old 2.2 Pro body
Updated D-Link ( the duuuuuuude 4 link)
Got a couple practice packs in tonight and it is working good.

Ready for ECC

Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 04-24-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Sweet!
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #206
Rock Crawler

Looks great! How do you like the link changes? And you must have some heavy ass wheels and axles to be sitting at 5lb with ti and cf everywhere! Sexy!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #207
Old guy

Looking forword to seeing it run.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
Sweet!
Thanks. And it was driving that way this evening too. I'll be driving it everyday for the next 7 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
Looks great! How do you like the link changes? And you must have some heavy ass wheels and axles to be sitting at 5lb with ti and cf everywhere! Sexy!
I have one rock on my rock pile that is setup for vertical climb testing/tweaking. The truck stands almost vertical and there is a lip that the tires just can grab.
I try it a couple times. Whether I can climb the rock or not, I go make a rear or front upper link change. Then go back and try the same rock again. I keep doing that until I settle on a link setup that puts the most traction down to the tires. It can take several link changes/combos to figure it out.

It's a great way to figure what works for me and it's cool that by moving the upper links down or up one hole will make the difference in the truck climbing or not. I have another rock to test front wheel weight changes.

Most of the weight is from the khaos-rovers weight just a bit more than normal tires.
The other weight comes from the RCP lockers. They are heavy but it's great way to get the weight as low as possible. And only $15 each!
Ane the longer beef tubes add additional weight. Again, weight is in the right spot.
This is probably my lower limit on weight. I would have to change tires to drop more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Looking forword to seeing it run.
I have re-newed interest in this rig for some reason. I was running the bigger City-Block Evo tires and they werent working. Until I internally sanded them and sanded the sidewalls. Woke them up. Then I decided to toss the pro wheel/tire/foam combo on it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Lookin real good man.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #210
I wanna be Dave

It looks ok
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #211
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Lookin real good man.
Thanks. I was debating on keeping the bug body but it doesn't roll over as well when it rides low. Just kinda "thuds" on the ground. The xciter body does a much better job rolling over when lowered down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
It looks ok
Your right. I bet the chassis does all the work too. Driver is just there to keep it on schedule.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #212
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Your right. I bet the chassis does all the work too. Driver is just there to keep it on schedule.
I'm sayin. Didn't your team manger suggest that you soften up those tires? What about throttle or steering input... do you do any of that anymore with the radio or do you just walk behind the truck and smile like this?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm sayin. Didn't your team manger suggest that you soften up those tires? What about throttle or steering input... do you do any of that anymore with the radio or do you just walk behind the truck and smile like this?
Nope, chassis does it all.

The tires I currently run are khaos.
Someone mentioned about softening up the city block -evos. Which I already had on my to do list. Did help them out but they still weight quite a bit more than the khaos-rover.

Truck is currently 10.5" wide front and rear. It was the same width the other tires as well. Good width for me. My 2.2 Pro truck is the same widths.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #214
Old guy

Quote:

I know that smile, he's not even looking at his truck, he is farting.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #215
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
... he's not even looking at his truck...
I was looking at the picture, and where I thought he was looking and never saw the truck. Had to take a second look to see it.

Looks great Shane
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know that smile, he's not even looking at his truck, he is farting.
Naw, I'm just looking at the next gate. I'm always looking 1 to 1.5 gates ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I was looking at the picture, and where I thought he was looking and never saw the truck. Had to take a second look to see it.

Looks great Shane
Thanks. I was actually goofying off in that picture. I had just started the course going to gate 1 and Ashton probably said something lame to heckle and I was reacting.
The carbon fiber is holding up well with the UGC FF-4 modified to the FF-SZ setup.
When I added the pro wheels and tires yesterday(weight reduction), I had to do some link tuning and shock tuning. This chassis is great on link placement and shock placement holes. Hence, the copy of those geometries , I just incorporated the raked skid portion.

Last edited by Szczerba; 04-20-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #217
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was actually goofying off in that picture.
O rly
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #218
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
O rly
rly........

First 2.2s run at the comp from last weekend at Gulpha Gorge in Hot Springs, AR.
Before any of the changes above. I did sand down the sidewalls of the City-Block-Evo's. It made a world of differences. Bounce reduced to almost zero and the tire conforms better to the rocks.

VVV VIDEO VVV

ARCC COMP #4 2 2 SPORTSMAN COURSE 1 SZCZERBA - YouTube

Thanks to ROLANDROCKSHOP for taking the video and uploading it!

Last edited by Szczerba; 04-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Videos of courses 2 and 3. Before I made the changes shown above.

Course # 2 from ARCC Comp #4

ARCC COMP #4 2 2 SPORTSMAN COURSE 2 SZCZERBA - YouTube

Course #3 from ARCC Comp #4

Front driveshaft came loose but I fixed it can continued. Course had water at the first gate, then some wet gravel/sand and made things slick for a gate or two. And I kept trying a bonus gate that I should have skipped. Gotta try right?

ARCC COMP #4 2 2 SPORTSMAN COURSE 3 SZCZERBA - YouTube

Old 04-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #220
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Szczerba's FF-SZ 2.2s Truck

Sporto looks like it's working pretty good Shane. Nice courses too!
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote

Szczerba's FF-SZ 2.2s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Szczerba's F-Toy #744 Szczerba 1.9 Scale Rigs 240 02-17-2022 08:32 PM
Szczerba's JK (Minus some doors) Szczerba G-Made Crawlers 193 11-06-2012 07:26 AM
Szczerba's Trophy Truck Build.. With Videos Szczerba Non Crawler RC's 110 07-18-2012 09:34 PM
Was Szczerba's Defender 90 Build. On to the Next. Szczerba 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 07-07-2012 05:18 PM
Szczerba's Cherokee (Minus some doors) Szczerba Axial SCX-10 166 03-25-2012 07:45 PM