Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #61
MODERHATER™

Default Re: ++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++

I always thought the long side of the tranny output went on the spur gear side to help with spur gear and driveshaft clearances?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
You should give me your SLW's. I love the idea of Erik's new wheel. My concern is we wheel in a bit of water some times. When I say a bit, that's like saying submarines run in puddles.
That would add some weight to your rig pretty fast wouldn't it? But think how fast you could add weight if you wanted to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I always thought the long side of the tranny output went on the spur gear side to help with spur gear and driveshaft clearances?
Dam it Patrick you don't miss a thing, that's exactly what they were designed for, but once you buy them you can do what you want.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Lets see some pics of those new panels mounted up!
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Lets see some pics of those new panels mounted up!
I will Ashton, just as soon as I receive them from Rock Thrasher, he didn't want to send them until they had time to cure up, I agreed 100%.

I'm looking forward to seeing them first hand they have some very nice shadowing and the green details are fluorescents and they never pop in pictures. I'm sure they look even better in person, Jason seemed pretty happy with his efforts and that's always a real good sign
Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

I need to update this a bit just for the record.

Got some panels back from Rock Thrasher, he did a outstanding job click below for his thread. there's more pictures and some in process photos that I think are educational.

Click Click

New panels for Stormin2u

Next up was a RPM valved shock piston build. I ran these last year and was amazed how smooth they made my Big Bores. They also allow for fast compression slow re-bound or the reverse.

Two Stage Shock Pistons (Light - Medium)
(for most Losi, Associated & Traxxas 1/10th scale shocks)

True performance lies in the ability to dial in your suspension. If you’re an intermediate to expert suspension technician, then you have the ability to take your suspension to a new level. Introducing RPM’s two stage shock pistons. In a compressed state, the two halves press together to meter the shock fluid through two holes. As the suspension unloads (in the standard con fig.), the two plates separate, allowing the fluid to flow through multiple holes, which returns the shock to static position at a higher rate. These pistons are the closest things that R/C can get to full sized racing. Don’t be fooled, even the fastest racers in the world are using them, the trick is to get them to admit it! After all, if everyone used them, who would gain the advantage? Maybe you? They come in sets of 12, three sets of four pistons. (white, blue, & yellow) Best used on tracks with small to moderate obstacles and rough sections. Check out our Piston FAQ page for more information.

80420 Two Stage Shock Pistons (Light - Med. Dampening)

Suggested Retail $6.95

Here's a link to the build

Click Click....post #54

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...w-ss-~~-3.html

Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #66

how do you mount the tires on it with all the knuckle weights??
FlexJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #67
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexJohnson View Post
Judging by all the "no tires" pictures he's put up lately, he doesn't.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexJohnson View Post
Here's the Felsenfest weight system shown inside a Dlux light weight clear wheel. They'll fit in VP Slw's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Judging by all the "no tires" pictures he's put up lately, he doesn't.
Your right Dude, I've posted quite a few tireless photos lately. I'm doing cut and shut tires for both trucks right now. I got fronts done over the weekend and with another weekend you'll start seeing this guy and my XR wearing custom made shoes.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Hello,

Very nice build the panels are sublimes

Which oil you uses with the dual stage shock pistons ? I have 25wt in the rear.
TotoRax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotoRax View Post
Hello,

Very nice build the panels are sublimes

Which oil you uses with the dual stage shock pistons ? I have 25wt in the rear.
TotoRax welcome. Thanks it's been a good truck it ran like a scalded dog last season in 2.2 Pro. I'm hoping the improvements will make it a solid Sporty.

I'm running the blue piston with 30 weight oil and the white piston front also with 30 weight. So were close.

I like fast compression on the front and fast re-bound rear. That's actually a set up i ran last year. The truck really had a positive driving feel.

I'm running the yellow pistons on the rear of my XR with 50 weight oil and Blue pistons front with 40 weight oil. same set up with the re-bound and compression as the Sporty.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Thanks,

i use also blue pistons with fast re-bound, with 25wt. It is a rather close configuration

yes, I thinks it's a solid Sporty

Which is the final weight and the bias weight ? With my ax10, I test one 62/38 instead of the 60/40 usual, and that gives very good performance... to pass the steps
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks,

i use also blue pistons with fast re-bound, with 25wt. It is a rather close configuration

yes, I thinks it's a solid Sporty

Which is the final weight and the bias weight ? With my ax10, I test one 62/38 instead of the 60/40 usual, and that gives very good performance... to pass the steps

Thanks again. They say great minds think alike.

My total weight is 4.5 lbs. right now the front bias is to strong I need to transfer a little weight to the rear it's about 70/30. I works well but it might work better with a 60/40 set-up.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Smile Re: ++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++

Last season this truck was set up with a dig and ran very well in the MNRCRC 2.2 Pro comp season using a tire first brought to us with a build by bcrofts he named the tires Haters. He got the idea from the the Team Losi drivers who used a similar tire at the 2009 Nats with much success. Losi eventually released the Boss Claws. The Hater design has a more rounded tire crown as compared to the Boss Claw with a wider contact patch and more of a square shoulder.

My first set of the Hater tires worked better than anything that I had used at our local crawl spot at Taylors Falls Mn. So I've run this tire for two years with great results. Without cutting any pins to increase traction.

It was time to Build some new tires for the 2012 season so I decided to build new Haters for my Sporty and I thought I'd try a set on my new XR to.

The Hater uses Rover side walls and Losi red Eclipse buggy tires and if you cut the tires just right you'll end up with a tire that's shaped almost exactly like it's donor the Rover.

Here's a few picks.

And that familiar Rover shape.

Here's the link to brcofts Hater thread.

Boss Rovers

Last edited by Stormin2u; 01-19-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
My total weight is 4.5 lbs. right now the front bias is to strong I need to transfer a little weight to the rear it's about 70/30. I works well but it might work better with a 60/40 set-up.
Your machine is really light and your front bias is... extreme

Very interesting work on the tires… one needs much patience
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Your machine is really light and your front bias is... extreme

Very interesting work on the tires… one needs much patience

Hey TotoRax,

Fortunately the winter has been mild in Minnesota this year so I've been able to use my backyard test site. This truck front bias is to heavy I will be adding and moving weight around. Right now it works well every where except declines, it likes to ride front wheel stands in radical descents. That can be easily changed. My guess is this truck will be just under five pounds when I get done.

I'm currently making twelve tires 4 sets and yes it is a exercise in being patient.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Played with the balance on this truck today, it's been through a weight reduction program and it was time to add a little back in the right places.

Without the dig and shift servo and a few other things the front was way to heavy so I added a some lead bolt ons at the rear axle as well as a few raps of heavy lead solder wrapped around the rear lock out covered in heat shrink.

I also had a VP servo guard that didn't work quite right on my XR and it was about a half ounce lighter than what I was using so that helped as well and looks good.

But the best thing she now rides a perfect 60/40 balance.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Stick, ran this truck last year with a dig in the Pro class it was a great performer and did well against the MOAs. This year it's lighter better balanced and running against other Shafties in the Sportsman class I'm looking for some good performances from it in this formula. T1e makes a great chassis and it's almost impossible to set it up wrong.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Hello,

Better weight balance
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Hi TotoRax, yes the balance is very good now, both myself and my son-in-law have been testing it and it's working exceptionally well. Descending it's a dream to drive, it climbs like a chimp and is rock solid side hilling and with both OD/UD has it turning on a dime, it's ready for 2012 Sporty season.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Well I'm putting the finishing touches on my 2012 Sporty entry. I needed a new BEC and I thought I try a couple of Chris the battery man's receiver by passes.

Receiver bypass adapter

The bypass eliminates all that power wire and signal wire disconnects it makes adding or replacing a BEC child's play.

For the Spectrum radio users it also eliminates the reversal of all the plug wiring when you need to do a re-bind, which has happened to me several times and is always a pain in the ass to do. Well worth the $5 cost for one of Chris's bypass adapters.

I mounted mine on the side of my receiver, I did shorten the wire on the receiver plug.

My BEC is located under my rear link mount behind my ESC mounting bracket.

I get some flack about my Mamba Max boat anchor ESC but the back of my rig needs extra weight to get to a balance so the MM is no problem. by the way going on four years of flawless service and I regularly run 4S packs.

Fired every thing up and the bypass worked flawlessly, it's a very nice product and simplifies the BEC wiring issues once and for all. Nice work Chris.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 02-20-2012 at 09:00 AM.