Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++

Just tried Crawler Innovations new closed cell Double Deuce foam on the Sporty. At first I was kinda bummed Eddie took the originals off the shelf, I loved the originals. It takes a brave guy to eliminate the best tire foams for crawling in the industry to completely wipe out his inventory. I thought Eddie had lost his mind, "Oh ye of little faith". Seriously if you haven't tried a set your in for a treat, the new DD is amazing. The entire contact patch stays exactly the same but the lateral flex and deep compression is gone these should side hill like crazy. They have also lost about 75% of the bounce of the original DD.

iphone picture.

The foam without tuning ring.

Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #82
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Just tried Crawler Innovations new closed cell Double Deuce foam on the Sporty. At first I was kinda bummed Eddie took the originals off the shelf, I loved the originals. It takes a brave guy to eliminate the best tire foams for crawling in the industry to completely wipe out his inventory. I thought Eddie had lost his mind, "Oh ye of little faith". Seriously if you haven't tried a set your in for a treat, the new DD is amazing. The entire contact patch stays exactly the same but the lateral flex and deep compression is gone these should side hill like crazy. They have also lost about 75% of the bounce of the original DD.

iphone picture.

The foam without tuning ring.

Thank you Norm! That is high praise and I am greatly appreciative. People that knew what I was doing thought I was crazy to gamble and sell out the entire old foam line and design. So you were not alone in your thoughts regarding that. But I knew, the new design would be so much better and it's proving to be. Thank you for taking the chance and giving it a try. I look forward to getting more of your feedback & thoughts as you get drive time and comp time on them.
- Eddie
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Great build
63comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63comet View Post
Great build
Thanks 63comet it's working well and super predictable I like driving it better than my XR actually. BTF has a new bodiless Sporty chassis that looks real promising I may have to build one for the 2013 season. All the T1e chassis' I've driven have been awesome performers.

BTW, I love your Comet, I had a 65 Fairlane with the H motor and 4 speed. I did a few mods to it and it was really quick and surprised a bunch of muscle car guys at the strip.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

It was time for a new motor in the old Sporty and I was looking for something that would do the job for a few years. I decided on the Holmes Hobbies 2012 Team Crawmaster. I really liked the comments in this thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holme...-end-king.html

Today the postman delivered this beauty. I gave it a modest break in got it's brand new dyno numbers for the record and will install it tomorrow and get some rock time with it on Sunday.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

20 turn huh? Let us know how she performs.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #87
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
20 turn huh? Let us know how she performs.
CrawlMaster is a 5 segment arm so it is nowhere as fast as a 20t 3 segment (standard) motor. !6t 5 segment arm'd motors are roughly around a 35t 3 segment, so I'd assume this would be comparable to a 40t 3 sefment

This of course, is assuming that you assume that the CrawlMaster is a 3 sefment, and that you also assume that 20t is too fast for a crawler. Lol
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

I'll let you know how he 20t works as I understand it the 20t feels like a really smooth 35t 3 arm with a bunch of torque, if so I'll be very happy. If it doesn't suit me a buy a replacement 16t arm.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Hello,

I have exactly the same motor on my Ax-10, and I'm very satisfied, it behaves like a 35T, very smooth, verry good speed and torque.
TotoRax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotoRax View Post
Hello,

I have exactly the same motor on my Ax-10, and I'm very satisfied, it behaves like a 35T, very smooth, very good speed and torque.

Thanks RotoRax for the expert analysis of the HH 20t that makes me very comfortable. I have to admit that other than JPH's thread I knew very little about these five segment motors. It was amazingly silky smooth running on the break runs and easy on amp draw compared to the numbers I had on the 35t Warrior at comparitive RPMs during it's dyno runs.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 05-26-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #91
Nobody

Quote:
Thanks RotoRax for the expert analysis of the HH 20t that makes me very comfortable. I have to admit that other than JPH's thread I knew very little about these five segment motors. It was amazingly silky smooth running on the break runs and easy on amp draw compared to the numbers I had on the 35t Warrior at comparitive RPMs during it's dyno runs.

Which dyno are you using? I have a 16t 5 segment to dyno here in the near future.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

I'm using a old Integy Dyno, I know they don't have a very good reputation for quality but even a blind squirrel finds a occasionally acorn and they did a nice job on it actually. It's not a racers Dyno but for a rock crawler it's enough.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Broken in and it's out of the box Dyno information in hand the tranny got fresh grease and a new spur with a little button up I was ready for a test drive.

I took it to my test spot for a drive and I have to agree with RotoRax it preforms like a 35t but I would add one that's been working out. Great bottom end with better control and the torque and power is right there, it pulls it's self up without any effort, even at a slow creep. Wheel speed is also very good, it snaps to life if you need it but even that seems totally controllable. It suits me well it was a good choice for the Sporty.

The Holmes Hobbies quality and craftsmanship along with the Checkpoint end bell feature makes this an excellent package.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 05-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Fooling around yesterday my son in law Greg and his son Brawley had their first chance to drive the Sporty with the new motor, they we're both very impressed with the controllability, torque and wheel speed. They both agreed the HH Team Crawlmaster was very easy to drive and touched all the necessary bases.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Another nice result in the 2.2 Sporty class at last Sunday's MNRCRC Comp on the big Lake Superior at the break water in Two Harbors.
Hit a gate marker and two reverses keep us from a total perfect day in both 2.2 classes.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks 63comet it's working well and super predictable I like driving it better than my XR actually. BTF has a new bodiless Sporty chassis that looks real promising I may have to build one for the 2013 season. All the T1e chassis' I've driven have been awesome performers.

BTW, I love your Comet, I had a 65 Fairlane with the H motor and 4 speed. I did a few mods to it and it was really quick and surprised a bunch of muscle car guys at the strip.
Thanks man. The old fairlanes are great. Im slowly getting back into building the comet.
Nice job on the comp results!
63comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

The new Holmes Hobbies 20 turn Team Motor that I recently installed in my Sporty rig has so much bottom end torque I started stripping the teeth out of spur gears like nothing. I don't run a slipper so after stripping the teeth off of two plastic gears I made the move to a HR metal gear I'm pretty confident the rest of the drive line will hold up but only time will tell. I know my stock motor plate is flexing a bit as well but I like it's light weight but that may have to go as well.

Absolutely loving the motor the HH 20t is the perfect Sporty motor IMO, it's the best I've ever had in that truck. Big balls on the bottom end and all the wheel speed you'll ever need and then some. One win and one second place in the first two MNRCRC season comps.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Two comps to go and the old Moonbuggy Sporty is working well results from the last MNRCRC comp.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 09-20-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #99
No idea what I'm doing

Sorry if I missed it, but what pinion are you running with that 89 spur? I think I counted it right at 15 or is it a 14? I'm planning an upgrade soon and have been looking at this very motor...thanks for the writeup, I think you have me convinced
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Your correct it's a 15t