Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ++ T1E Moonbuggy "Sporty" ++

This is a total rebuild of my 2011 2.2 Open class truck. Besides removing the Hurtz Dig, bracket and mini servo I wanted to go through it for maintenance with a focus on losing weight. In it's 2.2 Open class set-up it weighed 5 lbs 6 oz RTR.

This is the equipment I reused for the 2012 Sporty truck.

T1E Moonbuggy Shafty chassis and T1E stock high rise lower links
Big Bore shocks 2660 3.5"
Axial Axles
SDS Super 300 CVD and locker
Axial clock-able chubs
JR 8711 steering servo
Axial underdrive and overdrive diff gearing
Felsenfest zero Ackerman knuckles and weight system
Beef tubes with caster
Axial Transmission
Holmes Hobby "2012 Team Motor" 20 t "checkpoint" end bell motor on 3S batteries
Castle ESC Mamba Max and BEC
VP SLW wheels
Bcroft's Hater custom tires by owner
Crawler InNovation Closed Foam DD 5.5
Paint by Rockthrasher

The Re-build to a Sporty.

Loosing weigh is always hard but I wanted to start with the wiring. Before with stock factory and a couple of Deans connectors.

I re-wired the old Mamba max with 16 ga wire and decided to hard wire everything except the battery.

I had already returned the Axial tranny to stock gear at the beginning of the 2011 season with the exception of the after market steel out drives. This was a concern to me as I had always driven a very over built tranny and was concern about a failure which never happened.

New 1/4" Delrin chassis spacers were made.

The knuckle weight system lost about a ounce and a half.

New smaller body panels.

When the front axle was rebuilt the over drive gear set was added, this makes a huge difference in the turning radius.

More coming...

Last edited by Stormin2u; 09-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

nice....
knobbytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looking real good.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very nice rig right there. I think you can squeeze a few more pieces of knuckle weights on there though.

So, you are running a stock trans, minus the steel outputs?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbytrav View Post
nice....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Looking real good.
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Very nice rig right there. I think you can squeeze a few more pieces of knuckle weights on there though.

So, you are running a stock trans, minus the steel outputs?
Thanks Shane ,your looking at 4 oz. below the axle, it's probably a touch to heavy in the front right now for one of those balancing on a pin point pictures right now.

Put three packs through it on my test course and it's working really nice. With both OD/UD installed it turns on a dime and gives change. So far the lighter rig is better in all aspects and as much clearance as it has it side hills great.

I forgot to comment on the tranny, it's all stock with the exception of CI steel outputs. I actually ran it stock all last season without a issue and it saves weight up high in thr truck.

Here's some more Felsenfest knuckle weight shots Boys.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 11-26-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Some shots of the rear, the Gatekeeper II link mounts bot front and rear. 1/4 Delrin upper links front and rear. Those links drove and preformed well in the 2011 season on the Pro truck. Flexing wasn't a issue even though it wrapped it's self around the rock really well.

I could get a lighter ESC, that's a un-funded plan until I get through to more builds this winter.

Less hardware is always better. Simple link to mount connection, easy to move around to.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

This is a very nice looking rig. I was into building different 1.9 rigs,but now I have really gotten into the sportsman scene. I sold off all my 1.9 stuff and I am going to build my oldest boy one. He is waiting for the UPS Truck to show up this week. Keep up the nice work!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Nice work Norm!

What's the "G" on the shock stand for?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckImod View Post
This is a very nice looking rig. I was into building different 1.9 rigs,but now I have really gotten into the sportsman scene. I sold off all my 1.9 stuff and I am going to build my oldest boy one. He is waiting for the UPS Truck to show up this week. Keep up the nice work!
The Sportsman scene has all the ear markings of something very special coming our way. I can see it being very popular, I personally love seeing all the builds for 2012 there are some really creative ones this isn't going to be just a beginners class ever again, it looks like all out Shafty war. It's long over due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nice work Norm!

What's the "G" on the shock stand for?
Ha ha, thanks Jeremy. I knew someone with a keen eye would notice that. I'm running different oils and pistons in the fronts and rears and without springs at re-build time it's easier to tell them apart.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Ha ha, thanks Jeremy. I knew someone with a keen eye would notice that. I'm running different oils and pistons in the fronts and rears and without springs at re-build time it's easier to tell them apart.
I figured that was the reasoning. I usually write mine down on a small piece of paper and tape it to my parts box.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I figured that was the reasoning. I usually write mine down on a small piece of paper and tape it to my parts box.
I've been running the RPM duel stage pistons in the shocks it took a long time getting them set up for my rig, those shocks were apart lots during that process.

Looking at the front end you'll notice the four ounces of knuckle weights below the axle, this has added a ton of stability. you'll l also notice the wheel spacer from MIP's TLT CVDs it pays to never throw anything away, it gives about a extra half inch of width in the front, which measures 10 1/2" up front and 10 1/4" the rear.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am impatiently awaiting this chassis to go back into production. I want one bad.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Be patient doors get your name on the list, they will be back in production before long, it's an amazing chassis.

Last season this rig with a dig was able to hang with the MOAs in the MNRCRC 2.2 Pro class, the dam thing is a real work horse.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
I am impatiently awaiting this chassis to go back into production. I want one bad.
me too!!!!
knobbytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
BTF
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbytrav View Post
me too!!!!

its getting there keep checking back, truck looks great BTW!!!!!
BTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Thanks BTF for the update.

There you have it boys from the top guy @ T1E, "so yes, working on the <<<>>> version should be ready by xmas." sounds like something in the works soon for the Moonbuggy Shafty chassis.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 09-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
E.Y. Designs

How much is that chassis. Do you know if it would work with a LCC? Looks good. I really like the looks of that chassis on that.
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure if it would be a direct fit but you can pretty much mod anything. The T1E Moonbuggy shafty has lower and upper link mount locations very similar to a Gatekeeper chassis. With that said Gatekeeper consulted on the LLC project with Losi which also has a very similar link set up to the Gatekeeper chassis, my guess is it would be close. It would probably require some link modifications dependent how similar the LLC link mount locations are to a AX10's link locations.

When I purchased mine a full kit was $125. If I where you I'd ask the question in the Rockshow SS thread or pm BTF at T1E and see if he's heard or seen any other LLC conversions.

Here's a hot T1E thread.

The 2011 T1E Rockshow SS

Last edited by Stormin2u; 12-01-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I'm not sure if it would be a direct fit but you can pretty much mod anything. The T1E Moonbuggy shafty has lower and upper link mount locations very similar to a Gatekeeper chassis. With that said Gatekeeper consulted on the LLC project with Losi which also has a very similar link set up to the Gatekeeper chassis, my guess is it would be close. It would probably require some link modifications dependent how similar the yyLLC link mount locations are to a AX10's link locations.

When I purchased mine a full kit was $125. If I where you I'd ask the question in the Rockshow SS thread or pm BTF at T1E and see if he's heard or seen any other LLC conversions.

Here's a hot T1E thread.

The 2011 T1E Rockshow SS
I believe macgyver was at one time working on a version for lcc trans/axles. Not sure what came of that.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
How much is that chassis. Do you know if it would work with a LCC? Looks good. I really like the looks of that chassis on that.
No. It's not going to work with an LCC. The problem with the LCC is the transmission. The outputs are on opposite sides, so you can't just offset the unit to have a narrow skid.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote