Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Ax10 Improvements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Well i paid 15 for the motor and 11.99 for the rooster with about 8 bucks in shipping and worse comes to worse i put them on the scaler im working on atm also with all my left over parts. I figures a handspun would be really expensive i havent really looked into them since im on a somewhat budget atm , i also thought the esc i had couldnt handle a dig unit was on of the reason i went with the rooster because that will peob be my next investment after i get my plastic parts replaced with metal like gears chub kuckles ect. Also whats everyones thoughts on alum rear end houseings and trans cases ? Got the motor and esc off ebay watched them for 6 days hardcore hoping to get them cheap and thought i did well on the esc considering how cheap i got it.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Shelby View Post
Well i paid 15 for the motor and 11.99 for the rooster with about 8 bucks in shipping and worse comes to worse i put them on the scaler im working on atm also with all my left over parts. I figures a handspun would be really expensive i havent really looked into them since im on a somewhat budget atm , i also thought the esc i had couldnt handle a dig unit was on of the reason i went with the rooster because that will peob be my next investment after i get my plastic parts replaced with metal like gears chub kuckles ect. Also whats everyones thoughts on alum rear end houseings and trans cases ? Got the motor and esc off ebay watched them for 6 days hardcore hoping to get them cheap and thought i did well on the esc considering how cheap i got it.
Yeah that's pretty cheap. A Holmes Hobbies handwound 35t will run you about $60, and some of his lesser quality but still damn good motors go for about $35 on up.

Speed controls have nothing to do with dig units. You just need a 3 position 3rd channel on your radio.

Overall I would consider the speed control you have now to be better than the Rooster.

No need for aluminum axle casings and such. Waste of money IMO unless you just want to build a blingy rig. Aluminum doesn't like to slide over rocks as well as plastic does either.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Well that makes my mind up on the axel housings and trans case then and im gonna have to look into that holmes handwound then thats not that bad.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #24
Suck it up!

Quote:
Well that makes my mind up on the axel housings and trans case then and im gonna have to look into that holmes handwound then thats not that bad.
They're worth the price. Like I said earlier though, if you're going to go bombing through the mud and water, leave the handwound at home. Dirty muddy water will chew up motors.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Yeah i think this is just gonna be a straight crawler thats kinda why im building a scaler now more for the mud and stuff plus i can mount all my esc and stuff higher up in a scaler. thanks alot for the info agian Duuuuude you have been a massive amount of help.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

ok another noob question what size lipo's can the stock esc on the new ax10s handle i know they have upgraded the ax10 since its release because im looking at going to lipos because these 6 cells just wieght to much and honestly the side mount is about the best place i can find for it and crawling on side angles sucks with it mounted there.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #27
Suck it up!

They should handle 3s.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

2S
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...01-ae2-esc.pdf
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Thought i would post some pics of my trip today crawling to show how well she does with what lil i have done to it.

These where taken at the lake at a place called Austin Bottom was about 38 deg today but was my first time out of my garage with her. still trying to figure out why my tires have flat spots in them.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #30
Suck it up!

Quote:
still trying to figure out why my tires have flat spots in them.
That's perfectly normal for Rovers with stock foams in them. Nothing to worry about.

When and if you decide to get better foams, I highly recommend Crawler Innovations Double Deuce foams. I've been running mine now for about 2 years and they're still awesome.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I second the Crawler Innovations DD foams. I'm running the firm inners with soft outers and loving it. They are well worth the money.

They literally make as much difference in traction as changing from the stock tires to the Rovers does.

Plus, they fill the tire completely adding about 1/8" of ground clearence.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #32
Proverbial threadkiller

Nary a scratch on that body, but I'll ask anyway. When you wind up on your lid with that bug body, does it stay fully upside down, or does it usually lean over to one side or the other? My RTC's body is rather flat on top, so even with the extra wheel speed from a nine cell pack, all I can get it to do is rock back and forth, can't get it far enough over to catch a tire on anything. Just wondered if that body helps it to lean over once its upside down.

@ LiPo and charger: I like my Onyx 230 and Team Checkpoint charge-through balancer, but if I were shopping for a replacement, I'd more than likely either go with the 235, or (since I carry some pretty big LiPos for my go-fasts), I might look into a Hyperion (for me, probably the EOS0720iNET3 ac/dc).
For batteries, I've heard the fewest complaints on Elite packs from cheapbatterypacks.com. I've got my eye on some 1300mAh packs, if I ever get my hands on some of that 'disposable income' I keep hearing about. For balance taps, I prefer the JST-XH (Align) taps, as they're the most popular, and they're what I have already. I would guess Hyperion and ThunderPower taps are fine, just require different balance boards for your charger. For main power plugs, I've had good luck with the Traxxas connectors. A LOT of people like the Dean's, I've never soldered one without melting it. I've used Sermos Power Poles connectors in the past for car stereo hookups, my only snag with those is the plastic housings are a tad brittle, handle them carefully, otherwise, very nice connectors.
For charging sacks, Tower has the small Venom sacks for around $10, I like mine, and would like to get some more. My LHS sells the Losi branded ones at @$15 for the smalls. If you ever get to run in pretty much any organized comp, (and most certainly anyplace indoors), you'll be required to have/use one.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #33
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Nary a scratch on that body, but I'll ask anyway. When you wind up on your lid with that bug body, does it stay fully upside down, or does it usually lean over to one side or the other? My RTC's body is rather flat on top, so even with the extra wheel speed from a nine cell pack, all I can get it to do is rock back and forth, can't get it far enough over to catch a tire on anything. Just wondered if that body helps it to lean over once its upside down.
Body design is important, but you also have to have enough wheel speed to get the momentum up. Some weight in the wheels helps too.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Did you vent tires or rims?
wheelstoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

I love the bug body i just got my new one done lastnight its alot more cut out and moved my mounts to a top mount pins and no tires arent vented just seems the Memory Foam is a tad bit small and omg they grip like no other and also the 7 oz of weight in each front tire was a god send also but i have worked my Center of Gravity out pretty well the only prob is that darn 6 cell straped to the side but i seemed to have fixed it with straping a spare to the servo. Oh yeah forgot i ripped the body actually just cant see it in any of the pics and i lexon welded it lastnight to fix it.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

memory foams @ 38 deg... I highly doubt you are getting any added traction with tyhem! To my knoledge, memory foam does not work under 70 ish deg. the colder they get, the harder the foam becomes. & Ive seen memory foam crack in half @ below freezing.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ax10 Improvements

Had a odd happening today thought someone might have some insight on it. I was out crawling for about a hour today and didnt have a prob other than just not modded enuff for myself , and when i took it up on flat ground and was just driving it along it just stoped working like it had lost all power so i turned the esc off and then back on and it worked fine and hasnt done it agian but that worries me a lil.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

i have had my rig do that if the batteries in the controller are going out. also check to make sure none of the wires (servo, speed controller, ect) have rubbed against the chassis and are touching. Also check the battery to make sure its good, cold weather can make some lipos to strange things!

Also on the tire subject, i just sipped my tires and i love them.
running soft/med in the front and med/med in the rear
shooter125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Well i just ordered my first Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 45t Motor i hope there as sick as they say they are ( im very sure they are ) With all the new parts comeing in Soon i need to get Dean Plugs in bulk prefered Pre Wired any suggestions ?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Ok i am about to go a diff direction with my ax10 i want to ditch the swx chasis and go with like a buggy type chassis i have looked into the fastback 2 but im not sure which i like the most so would love some imput on what you all think on a chassis chose and what seems to work the best.