Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Rebuilding my ax-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rebuilding my ax-10

Okay. Fully rebuilding my AX10. Complete disassembly took place today. Looking for ideas on how to improve overall performance of ax platform.

Will continue to use rooster ESC. Looking for opinions on gearing and possible motor choice, new servo recommendations, chassis etc.

Was using integy 55 turn motor prior to disassembly. Looking for more torque and wheel speed in new build.

Have standard AX10 chassis and shocks as well. Have changed oil and springs on shocks.

Your input is much appreciated.
wvbigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Al... Mike has a few ax chassis forsale. I run a 35t tekin pro in my ax and i like it alot. Its got alot of power and tq with a 12 tooth pinion
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if it were me, Id get a whole new rig & tweek it to you liking. its usualy much cheeper to get another rig than rebuild 1 pice at a time. I know, that sounds like the lame way out. But if you have shalow pockets like me, then its a no brainer. Just look at my my SWX AX10 there is no way I could have goten all the stuff it came with & built it for $275!

But, If you realy want to rebuild;
First thing! Concider a new chassis. That way you might save a ton on buying/ malking new liks several times.
Second, Id recomend a GOOD servo & a bec. Something with 300+ oz of torque. You wont believe the differance that that mych torque makes.
Third, trans & axle gearing. all metal gears for the trans, over front & under rear if you so desire..
then all the other goodies...
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Suck it up!

OD/UD gearing is a must!
35t motor, handwound preferably
New chassis, though the stock one can be made to work a lot better
300oz servo & BEC
Losi Comp or Traxxas Big Bore shocks
High steer knuckles

What tires do you run?
What radio do you have?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreams1 View Post
if it were me, Id get a whole new rig & tweek it to you liking. its usualy much cheeper to get another rig than rebuild 1 pice at a time. I know, that sounds like the lame way out. But if you have shalow pockets like me, then its a no brainer. Just look at my my SWX AX10 there is no way I could have goten all the stuff it came with & built it for $275!

But, If you realy want to rebuild;
First thing! Concider a new chassis. That way you might save a ton on buying/ malking new liks several times.
Second, Id recomend a GOOD servo & a bec. Something with 300+ oz of torque. You wont believe the differance that that mych torque makes.
Third, trans & axle gearing. all metal gears for the trans, over front & under rear if you so desire..
then all the other goodies...
Thank you. I'm definately going to stay with my current ax. The Robinson gears in the tranny are a must. Going with high steer knuckles and a 300oz+ servo for sure. Had a 645mg and thought it was under powered. Going with a bender swx chasis.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
OD/UD gearing is a must!
35t motor, handwound preferably
New chassis, though the stock one can be made to work a lot better
300oz servo & BEC
Losi Comp or Traxxas Big Bore shocks
High steer knuckles

What tires do you run?
What radio do you have?
Running panthers. Still running am radio, the axial ax-1 that came with the rock racer originally. I have one for my ax and one for my scx. Been looking at new spectrum radio and receiver combos.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbigal View Post
Running panthers. Still running am radio, the axial ax-1 that came with the rock racer originally. I have one for my ax and one for my scx. Been looking at new spectrum radio and receiver combos.
Definitely need a better radio. 2.4 is glitch free, plus you'll gain the ability to adjust endpoints which is a must for crawlers.

I've got a Spectrum and love it, but I recently picked up the FlySky GT3B for $35, and so far its a great radio. Good enough for me to park my Specy and React.

And for $7 per extra receiver, its really something to consider.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

+ 1 on the flysky radio... They are made in china just like like the Spektrum, but cost a fraction of the price.

if you already have alum nuckles & want you can use threaded spacers to make them high steer. will even work with BTA setup.

"under powered" I ran a 645 on my first ax10 as well & it had no power at all. couldnt turn the rig wile sitting still unless I had a full charge & was on loose surface. Of corse I had weighted wheels.

The gate keeper chassis might be a bit better chassis to go with if you havent bought the SWX yet. I feal the center skid plate/chassis of the SWX is a bit to long & gets high centered easier. its 4" long. not sure about the gatekeepres length. the gatekeeper also comes wwth evereything you need... SWX, you will need to make your own links, etc.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreams1 View Post
+ 1 on the flysky radio... They are made in china just like like the Spektrum, but cost a fraction of the price.

if you already have alum nuckles & want you can use threaded spacers to make them high steer. will even work with BTA setup.

"under powered" I ran a 645 on my first ax10 as well & it had no power at all. couldnt turn the rig wile sitting still unless I had a full charge & was on loose surface. Of corse I had weighted wheels.

The gate keeper chassis might be a bit better chassis to go with if you havent bought the SWX yet. I feal the center skid plate/chassis of the SWX is a bit to long & gets high centered easier. its 4" long. not sure about the gatekeepres length. the gatekeeper also comes wwth evereything you need... SWX, you will need to make your own links, etc.

Keep it coming guys. I am loving the feedback. Gonna check out that radio for sure. Who carries the flysky radio and receivers? Still looking at chasis, considering bodiless. Also considering possible dig unit.

Last edited by wvbigal; 12-05-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Mite just buy one of these myself...

West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I using one of these servo's
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : BMS-616DMG+HS Digital Buggy Servo (MG) 10.2kg / .12sec / 46.5g

Has served me well... I don't comp ,but it's good enough for what I use it for....
Turns my wheels with 3oz of lead in each rim while standing still on any ground ...

Last edited by West Cork Basher; 12-05-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
Who carries the flysky radio and receivers? Still looking at chasis, considering bodiless. Also considering possible dig unit.
Hobbypartz.com has them, or Losikid sells them and a hack kit to expand its potential at overkillrc.com.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cork Basher View Post
I using one of these servo's
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : BMS-616DMG+HS Digital Buggy Servo (MG) 10.2kg / .12sec / 46.5g

Has served me well... I don't comp ,but it's good enough for what I use it for....
Turns my wheels with 3oz of lead in each rim while standing still on any ground ...

That's only good for 136 oz's. Not near enough if you're going to comp.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Yeah that's no where near enough torque. Local shop has a pretty good warranty on savox servo's. Friends are having good results so I may try them.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i have a hobbico cs 170 servo. 333 oz. at 6v. paid $89 at lhs
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Is it possible to gear a 27 low enough to use in a comp crawler. I have one in my scx10. It seems to have great throttle response while crawling on the rocks. Smooth on the bottom with that extra bump when I need it.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Is it possible to gear a 27 low enough to use in a comp crawler. I have one in my scx10. It seems to have great throttle response while crawling on the rocks. Smooth on the bottom with that extra bump when I need it.
Not to hijack but I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I'm running a cheap silver can 27t in my AX-10 RTR right now with the stock gearing. It is great for bashing around the yard. I love the extra wheel speed but I often wonder if it would crawl better if it were geared differently. What gearing would be ideal for a 27t?
roadstr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Not a 100% on this, but aren't you limited to 35t motor . .

Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cork Basher View Post
Not a 100% on this, but aren't you limited to 35t motor . .

Not sure. That's why I'm asking is it possible for comp. live in west Virginia and haven't heard of any local crawler comps. Wanting to start attending comps somewhere.