Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Helhedded's Comp Shafty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Helhedded's Comp Shafty

I've had some free time lately so I threw together a shafty roller with parts from my YJ. I used the chassis from an old DMG DcR.

After staring at it for a day or two I knew what I wanted to change about it and I immediately started drawing different designs. It was inspired by an old DMG chassis that I had laying around with a little bit of Badd's doubleD chassis and some CDW LS2.0

I made a template out of .020 lexan and shipped to my buddy for cutting. 1/16" carbon fiber rom Mcmaster was used for the sideplates. The plates will be recut soon with a few changes... mainly more material will be left on the chassis especially at the bottom corners.

Last edited by helhedded; 11-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

sideplates swapped and the transmission is now mirrored correctly thanks to a quick refresher at Eeepee University.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

With this current configuration and a 5.5" tall tire the gc measurements would approximately be:

front:
droop 2.2"
static 3.1"

rear:
dr0op 2.6"
static 3.5"

Any ideas at what I should shoot for? I can always add a limiter on the inside of the shock to shorten up the ride height. A friend mentioned that 2.5" is good for a shafty, so I might aim for that first.

Last edited by helhedded; 12-10-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Suck it up!

I'm still wondering if all you hoity toity MOA drivers still know how to properly handle a shafty...

Build looks good though. What kind of insane-o steering setup are you going to run?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I'm still wondering if all you hoity toity MOA drivers still know how to properly handle a shafty...

Build looks good though. What kind of insane-o steering setup are you going to run?

I drove my 1.9 pretty well and I had a blast at it so hopefully this will be the same but just bigger

I haven't figured out what steering I'll run just yet, but the goal will be a full bta setup. The axles with have short beef tubes so hopefully that won't be too hard to accomplish.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Another pro driver with a shafty, kewl.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

looks good!

go car ram rod!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looks good.

The shafties are just so much fun. Especially when you can make 'em handle. One of these days, more MOA guys are going to realize that running practice courses with a no dig shafty can help them to see better lines and drive better when they switch back to their MOA.

Last edited by EvilTwin v2; 12-11-2011 at 05:34 AM.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Digging the chassis!
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
One of these days, more MOA guys are going to realize that running practice courses with a no dig shafty can help them to see better lines and drive better when they switch back to their MOA.

I've noticed this quite a bit...lots of moa's digging to get cleanly through gates because they didn't try for a good line. I was guilty of that too when I had dig...you don't realize how much you rely on it until its not there any more.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Another pro driver with a shafty, kewl.
yes sir. Thank you for the pointers on the geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
looks good!

go car ram rod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Looks good.

The shanties are just so much fun. Especially when you can make 'em handle. One of these days, more MOA guys are going to realize that running practice courses with a no dig shafty can help them to see better lines and drive better when they switch back to their MOA.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
Digging the chassis!
Thanks! It's not quite done yet. I'm gonna add 1 or 2 more columns of shock mounts to the design and I'll probably remove one from the outside edges and shorten up the chassis a bit. The inner angles will be rounded to add strength where it's needed. There will also be quite a few braces.

Quote:

I've noticed this quite a bit...lots of moa's digging to get cleanly through gates because they didn't try for a good line. I was guilty of that too when I had dig...you don't realize how much you rely on it until its not there any more.
That's what I really enjoyed about driving in the 1.9 class. I just can't support both and the 2.2 class is more appealing
Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
That's what I really enjoyed about driving in the 1.9 class. I just can't support both and the 2.2 class is more appealing
That's where I'm at as well Ashton, the 2.2 Sporty class has tremendous possibilities for some crazy growth. I'm wondering what the hell took so long?

Both you and Shane are coming out of the box with your Sporty designs, it's great to see your builds.

I have a feeling 2012 is going to be a growth year thanks to the 2.2 Sportsman class, I know our club could use some new blood.

Nice work.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
That's where I'm at as well Ashton, the 2.2 Sporty class has tremendous possibilities for some crazy growth. I'm wondering what the hell took so long?

Both you and Shane are coming out of the box with your Sporty designs, it's great to see your builds.

I have a feeling 2012 is going to be a growth year thanks to the 2.2 Sportsman class, I know our club could use some new blood.

Nice work.
Thanks Norm! Our club could really use some new blood also!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So my first design isn't strong enough so I added more rounded edges and the open side is now closed. I'm not planning on mounting my uppers that high, but I am planning on putting some braces there. The other plate will just be a straight connection from front to back.

Last edited by helhedded; 10-15-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: pic removed
Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

2nd version already...
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
2nd version already...
Yep, V1 will likely never see the rocks.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Yep, V1 will likely never see the rocks.
Try making prototypes out of the thin cutting board stuff. Cheap, quick to cut, and just strong enough to get a few runs in. Nearly everything I've designed has had at least two flimsy plastic prototype versions.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Try making prototypes out of the thin cutting board stuff. Cheap, quick to cut, and just strong enough to get a few runs in. Nearly everything I've designed has had at least two flimsy plastic prototype versions.
That's really what I should have done to begin with. I had never designed a chassis before so all of this was pulled out my ass. After having the real deal in my hands I saw some things that immediately needed changing and I'm not sure if I would have noticed them if I would have used thin scrap material. This has been a great learning experience.

p.s. and yes, the new templates were cut out of lexan and test fit before I sent them to the machinist.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Very cool I'm digging the V2.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Looks alot better
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote