Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Original Fastback Build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Original Fastback Build.

Well my brother found me one fo the original fastback chassis's so off we go with a fastback build. it's sorta multi colored right now, but that will change. i am so impressed with this thing so far! here's a few details, not much but here we go.

original fastback chassis
UD/OD gears in stock axles
vanquish dhII's and slw v1's wheels
.835 hubs in front, 725's in back
vanquish xr10 knuckles
strc xr10 c hubs
xr10 universal axles
55t HH pro handwound!
skid plate rotated 180*
axial ae-2 esc
hitec 7950 servo
vanquish battery/servo/4link plate in front
duratrax gatekeeper 4 link plate in rear
front lowers 74.5mm axial aluminum
front uppers 55mm axial aluminum
rear lowers crawler innovations hi clearance delrin
rear uppers axial 106mm aluminum
duratrax evader shocks!
mini-t red springs front and rear with jeepindoug cups
front tires weigh 11.1oz each
rear tires weigh 7.1oz each
both running white dot rovers
MIP driveshafts

i'll get some actual build pics up in a minute but here are a few action shots.

Disclamer: all photos are actual driving shots, no pics were posed! drove into and out of all spots. so did the gatekeeper behind me!!

Last edited by hoghead5150; 03-06-2012 at 10:41 AM.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Original Fastback Build.

That last shots insane. Rig looks awesome
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
That last shots insane. Rig looks awesome
That's what I told him when he said "lets drive off this frigging cliff"!! Hog is nuts sometimes, following him is how I broke my servo!
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Rotate the skid 180 degrees, get the motor on the right side and it will help fight torque twist some

The rig looks good, how is it driving?
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Already swapped the skid around. Those pics was the first outing and I noticed the twist right away. Got the skid flipped, motor on right (passenger) side. Made a huge difference. Also dropped the rear links down to the 2nd hole. I'll get some updated pics posted soon.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

did a little more today. had a set of duratrax evader shocks from one of my brothers crawlers that he wasn't using. rebuilt them and installed losi gold springs at all four corners. alot smoother suspension cycleing now!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
That's what I told him when he said "lets drive off this frigging cliff"!! Hog is nuts sometimes, following him is how I broke my servo!
Im just wondering how the scaler did on that drop
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

actually, you would have been impressed. he made it all the way to the bottom on his tires, but the angle at the bottom throwed him over on his side. he's running the pitbull tires on that thing and it is amazing how well they grip!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
Im just wondering how the scaler did on that drop
It didn't actually "crawl" down that slope, more of a semi controlled "descent" with a solid stop at the bottom!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

a few updates. workiing on a homemade behind the axle steering setup. it works just ugly!

also got a vanquish battery/servo/4 link plate for the front!!

felsenfest egressor knuckles and weight system

axial cvd's!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looking good!

Hows the BTA working so far?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

it's working. not sure if i like it or not. the really short servo horn and drag link are kinda pissing me off. just not sure if a longer horn would help or not. really not sure if i can fit one in there!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

That there looks like a nice rig. If you need more clearance on the BTA setup try putting a bend on the tie-rod near the middle and relocate them so they mount to the bottom of the felsenfest hubs. This should give you the extra clearance you need to get a longer servo horn. You may still need to clock the C's a little, I'm in the middle of this same dilema with my FB2 setup...
Eric Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Truck looks nice lots of good components. I run Felsenfest knuckle weights on my Sporty to, I like them. From the picture I can see you running positive camber, that's killing you steering angle.

]

Heres my Felssenfest set-up, I'm not into crazy negative caster but you have to have some.

I have Beef Tube installed with mild the negative caster, when you have some negative caster with OD/UD you'll be turning on a dime and getting some change back. BHA steering is fine as long as you can some negative caster.

You need to use a longer spacer on your drag link and shorten your upper front links, the caster is more important for performance than the BHA steering IMO.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 01-18-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

i ditched the bta steering. just couldn't get the turning radius i wanted. i think with the combination of the super short drag link and my short servo horn just couldn't get enough throw. i can't run a longer servo horn because it would hit the battery/servo plate when turning left. don't feell like hacking up a vp servo plate right now. as for the caster, i wish i had more, but i don't have beef tubes yet. can't really decide on how to get more without them. i already have the axial clockable hubs as far as they go. if i shorten the upper links any more it will clock my axle backwards and puts my driveshafts below the height of my front lower links. i had it that way first, but on breakover angles the driveshaft would hit the lip of the rock and spin the truck sideways. i just put on regular steering and i'll run it like this for a while. i have great steering throw, just need to work on the caster thing!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
i ditched the bta steering. just couldn't get the turning radius i wanted. i think with the combination of the super short drag link and my short servo horn just couldn't get enough throw. i can't run a longer servo horn because it would hit the battery/servo plate when turning left. don't feell like hacking up a vp servo plate right now. as for the caster, i wish i had more, but i don't have beef tubes yet. can't really decide on how to get more without them. i already have the axial clockable hubs as far as they go. if i shorten the upper links any more it will clock my axle backwards and puts my driveshafts below the height of my front lower links. i had it that way first, but on breakover angles the driveshaft would hit the lip of the rock and spin the truck sideways. i just put on regular steering and i'll run it like this for a while. i have great steering throw, just need to work on the caster thing!
But when the driveshaft is on the rocks it's not binding your suspension! I have my front driveshaft so far below my links it's kind of a joke.

Don't forget that as you increase the negative caster the stock link mounts will lower themselves. This lowers your lower links as well as changing your link geometry! (Ask me about an aggressive pinion in the rear and anti squat -_- )

Here you can see how my driveshaft just about binds (ok it binds a bit) at full extension. If I try and clock the c's the knuckles will interfere with my servo and battery. To keep the horn as high as possible and weight as low as possible I haven't bothered to clock the c's.

A BTA solves this!

Last edited by opek; 01-18-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: more info!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

so what king of under skid height should i be shooting for? right now i have 2 7/8 under the front of the skid, a tad higher on the rear of the skid.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

well a few update, pics will come either later tonite or tomorrow. got a new Holmes Hobbies Pro Handwound 55t motor installed today. also in the process of making some side and roof panels for this thing.

the motor is exactly what i was looking for. i'm only running 2s lipos right now and it has about the same wheelspeed as the stock 55t but more torque and the low speed control is 100 times better. also the drag brake seems much stronger. we will see tomorrow when i get this thing out to the lake.

i just finished soldering on deans plugs to 5 batteries for my brother. while i was at it, i threw one of his new 3s 800mah 40c batteries in mine. now i gotta buy some 3s batteries!! those really woke the thing up. just gotta get me another CC Bec. not really wanting to run on 3s till that's installed.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Got the batteries charging now, thanks for all that soldering!

That AX10 is looking good, you need to post up some pics of that purple monster!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

a couple updates.

first new Holmes Hobbies Pro Handwound 55t motor!

made some body panels. still working on the side ones tho. it's now the one eye'd one horn'd flyin purple people eater!

you think these panther leopards are soft enough??

Original Fastback Build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorZepol's UGC Fastback II Build NorZepol Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 04-26-2012 10:04 AM
Fastback II build 2006Shelby Axial AX-10 Scorpion 108 04-08-2012 10:28 PM
brplatz's Fastback II Build Brplatz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 04-30-2011 02:14 PM
My Fastback build JustinThyme Axial AX-10 Scorpion 74 01-01-2011 05:22 PM
billj's Fastback build billj Axial AX-10 Scorpion 280 11-21-2010 07:13 PM