Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Sportsman Build,, Soon to full of BWD Goodness -L.P.W.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default New Sportsman Build,, Soon to full of BWD Goodness -L.P.W.

Hey Guys i started this build late in the 2011 comp season and it only made 2 comps from memory. It came about after an acumulation of parts and just wanting to experiment and getting back into my Crawlers after putting alot of time into my Comp Scaler. Again no build thread as such as is built but this is the parts list from the begining though there ahve been a few changes along the way.

Kamikazee Kustoms Pro Zero Chassis
Kamikazee Kustoms lower links
Home made bottom skid, made wider to accommodate an Axial transmission.
Axial transmissin with Hardened internal gears
Axial front and rear axels
3 racing CVD's
Hulksta Tubes
Axial High Clearance steering knuckes
Alloy upper links
4mm and 3mm rod ends, upper and lower
Pro LIne titus 2.2 rims, and for testing Losi Rock claws
3s
Atlas 37T motor
Crowd Pleazer body
MIP Drive shafts,
90mm G-Made shocks in Droop
slightly clocked axels
Hitec Servo HS7980TH
UBEC

An early pic just after being built,

A few pics with added body and 0.7" DNA Alloys and white dot rovers with CI Foams

During last round of our 2011 cANZ series my steering was modded with Hulksta engineering Prototype XR10/AX10 Hybrid front axels.

So in essance an AX10 now with XR10 steering. The Tubes are made by Hulksta and then slid in place of the original tubes which allows for a collar to go on the tubes made from a cut down AX10 C, then running XR10 front axels and XR10 stock C's and Knuckles. Also a Locking stle clamp on alloy servo horn was added for extra strength with the additional steering angle. The XR10 AX10 Hybrid axels give a much better turning radious and a wider front stance helping with stability and keeping a narrow rear end for better access through gates.

Before our State Titles i also added was a CC Bec as my Ubec shat itself and Losi Boss claws on DNA Assasins all round with CI Duel stage foams. The Boss claws and wheels were run at our state titles last year and although the rig had only ran a few times it was only mid field , but mainly due to inconsistant driving on my behalf but performed alot better with the Boss Claws than previously with the Rovers

For 2012 ive now removed the Proline shell and gone with a BWD SSS topper thanks to BuckImod. Ive made custom panels for it and added Boss Claws, Nova Duel Stage foams, and a mix front to rear of Vanquish DH2's and DNA Assassin's. Ive also flipped the servo horn to try and get a better approach angle as in its previous coinfigeration it woudl sometimes catch on approaches to climbs. In coming weeks i hope to get a little more creative with the panels and highlight the chassis a little more

In early testing it has performed well and looking forward to comping it this year. Our first round where it was going to make its debut with its new look was rained out. But since then i have done more testing with it and am quite happy with the way it performs so far.

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 02-27-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Add a pic
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: O.B.'s Kamikaze Axial Hybrid 2012

Can you post up a top down picture of your BWD SSS topper? I also got one of those but I built it up with delrin links of different length. Thanks
Eric Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks Great Ben! Nice job Mate!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looking good nice evolution, I love all the Sporty builds.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Try to Bend it

I like it. Nice work Ben
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks good Ben, the topper is a change from when I last seen it and seems to suit it well!
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

sweet man. lovin those links also. are they as strong as steel allthread with delrin sleeves? I haven't made my mind up on which way to go yet.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #8

that thing looks kool... i want to spend some money on my RTR but I have a full size rock crawler that the parts are much more expensive to replace
FlexJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Perez View Post
Can you post up a top down picture of your BWD SSS topper? I also got one of those but I built it up with delrin links of different length. Thanks

Hey mate i also made my own links. I made from 8mm delrin rod, then just drilled and tapped to suit. Of the original links accross the body from side to side ther was 3 i didnt use, which were the shortest ones. I think from memory i made 3 new ones. I made to suit the width of my chassi but sort of kept the general sahpe.

Were you wantig one with the pannels off or as thet on? The topper as it was made from BWD was a fraction to narrow at the mounting points to the chassis.

Thanks to everyone else for the commets.

Dan i did wonder who locally would catch a glimpse on RCC If i get to the social this sunday a few more will get to see it too.

When i see you next Dan i may need to get a new steering link made up from "Hulsta Engineering". I flipped my servo horn to get better clearance of the steering link, but it has braught new complications. Id like to flip it back down but i will need a custom steering link made an im hoping i can employ your services again.

Looking at adding Over and under drive gears shortly and if the budget alllows some VP knuckle to get that little bit more steering to help me keep up with DJ

Hey Donhd04 so far the links eem the goods. I slightly rounded the edges on the bottom links as on a coulple of occassions getting over a peak running accross ways had an issue with the links catching whne trying to take a particulat line. As for stregth they seem fine to me. They also seem to slide better than alloy links too.

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 01-19-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Perez View Post

Hey i just found i had atop down pic, let me know if it's what you are after?

Ben
Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Dan i did wonder who locally would catch a glimpse on RCC If i get to the social this sunday a few more will get to see it too.

When i see you next Dan i may need to get a new steering link made up from "Hulsta Engineering". I flipped my servo horn to get better clearance of the steering link, but it has braught new complications. Id like to flip it back down but i will need a custom steering link made an im hoping i can employ your services again.

Looking at adding Over and under drive gears shortly and if the budget alllows some VP knuckle to get that little bit more steering to help me keep up with DJ
Im always checking builds, gotta keep up to date on the competition

If you seen the latest pics of DJ's rig you may notice the 4mm steering link? it worked a treat to get the 60*+ steering from the ax10, and the modded VP knuckles (i must get around to sharing that build with rcc guys)

But im also working on a VERY cool steering setup and looking to offer a kit for guys to upgrade too... i'll keep you posted on the details
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Sounds good Dan i look forward to hearing about it and testing it out
Looking foward to comping with all the guys. This rig is giving me renewd enthusiasm for the sporty class. It just needs a small Hulksta Enginnering decal .
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Ben that shot was exactly what I was looking for. I'm using your idea to mount up an SSS-R topper to a GC3a. Started mounting it up last night and the mounting holes line up almost perfectly, it's going to be a very nice light weight bodyless alternative. The Aussie Hulksta Team is really rocking lately!
Eric Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Hey Eric, glad i could be of help :-)

I could nearly say one way or another alot of the local Aussie guys all have some handiwork or something that can be accredited to Hulksta Engineering. If you ever need custom work i can thouroughly recomend Dan and his work. Top gear and a nice guy to boot.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Looks good Ben

Greg.
Cortina79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Hey Greg thanks mate, have to post yout gate keeper up in here.

Small update fot this. I got lucky and scored locally off a mate that hadnt used his, some brand new Overdrive gears this. Installed last night. Had a quick play around at home and am impressed with the new turning radious. Next on the cards is some Under drive for the rears and VP knuckles for the front.

Had time for a short play in the back yard on he rocks at home this arvo and tried out new overdrives. On my rock pile it dosnt overly seem to have made any significant differance on climbing etc. But as mentioned above steering has improved on the move. I usually run Boss claws with this and after a recent trip to a local comp location for testing, at that particuar location it seem sto like my sedonas better i gave the sedonas a go in the back yard. It couldnt pull the same lines that i could with the boss claws.

Funny thing is on the same pile my XR Wedge climbs better with the sedonas than the boss claws. As ir stands i may lookig at a second set of sedonas weight similar to what i have now as i have found some of our comp locations are better suited for my rigs with Sedonas or boss claws.

I may try to get a fraction more ground clearance however when running the boss claws for the future.

At the comp location i also tried out lighter weighted Siped Leopards and they also functioned quite well to. Is good to have options now as i can tune to locations with different tyres and the rig performs better depending on the location and tyre choice.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Hey Greg thanks mate, have to post yout gate keeper up in here.
You know me, once my trucks are built they rarely change to often to require a build thread .
Cortina79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Small update. This rig had its first comp of 2012 yesterday. Was a great day at Voodoo at Kurnell. As it missed its debut in January as the comp got rained out yesterday was its first real competitive test. I scored a 3rd overall for the day. It went quite well though on my part i was a bit rusty and had a few careless errors on my part. Only changes made between tesing and comping was toaddd 12mm long rod ends to my shocks which gained a 5mm increase in ground clearance with out the need to adjust shock poitions etc and changing the overall dynamics. This combined with the boss claws worked very well.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
RCC Addict

The rigs working well Ben, congrats on your placing
Old 02-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
Try to Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Im always checking builds, gotta keep up to date on the competition

If you seen the latest pics of DJ's rig you may notice the 4mm steering link? it worked a treat to get the 60*+ steering from the ax10, and the modded VP knuckles (i must get around to sharing that build with rcc guys)

But im also working on a VERY cool steering setup and looking to offer a kit for guys to upgrade too... i'll keep you posted on the details
I'd love to see what you have come up with for the little fella's rig. You should post up build thread for it either here or at home.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote

New Sportsman Build,, Soon to full of BWD Goodness -L.P.W. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
creeper axial scale hybrid? pwrdbyhemi Venom Creeper 0 12-25-2010 02:37 PM
Tamiya Hilux Axial hybrid dun79 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2010 12:21 PM
WK Axial Hybrid Brip HPI Wheely King 9 10-22-2008 06:36 AM