Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: got my first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default got my first crawler

first off hello guys. i just bought my first rc crawler last night. its used but i got an ax10 for 200 bucks. i need to get new shocks for it cause ones blown out but it runs fine. it doesnt flex very well so i wanna replace all the shocks with softer ones. where can i get some cheap but good shocks. also is there anything else i should absolutely replace? TIA
manalow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: got my first crawler

if it has stock shocks you should try and rebuild them. its very easy
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

There is a lot of really good info in the sticky threads at the top of the AX10 section. There is enough free mods and info there to keep you busy for a while

Oh, and Welcome!!!

-Trent
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

what electronics are you running?? batteries? need a little more info..does it have aluminum steering links or are they plastic?? if plastic you want alum, plastic sucks and will cause you more problems than its worth, they like to bend. what tires are on it?

i say if you got good batteries and some decent tires to start out with then just drive it get used to it then start upgrading.. i have a honcho and bought an ax10 about a month ago and im still learning how to drive it, get used to it a little bit then i just upgraded the servo and tires so now i have to learn how to drive it all over again. check out my build thread in the ax10 section i have done quite a few free/cheap mods but some that have money involved also.. also check out other builds threads as well.. lots of good info on spring tuning, link geometry etc..

upload some pics to photobucket and copy the image code then paste it in here. we love pics!!!!!
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ill upload pics when I get home. Everything on it is stock. I have a traxxas remote and the stock one. Its got a 2400 mah battery. It needs a little cleaning up but it runs fine. I have a Guy that I'm meeting Wednesday whose giving me 4 stock shocks for it. I want to replace the chassis but I don't know how to go about it. I've seen that's you can make it out of plastic cutting boards and I want to try that. I wanna see if I can possible make a look a like tube style frame for it. Any ideas on that? I plan on cutting the foam and weighing down the front tires. Is it a good idea to put 2 holes in each rim? I also wanna replace all the plastic linkage with aluminum linkage. How can I make it steer tighter cause right now its like a freaking boat?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Congrats on the AX10!
Axial makes an aluminum upgrade kit for all the links, here's a Link to some upgrade stuff for the Scorpion.
Just browse the forum and do some searching, there are a ton of free or cheap mods that can be done to the AX10.
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

i'll let ya in on something. instead of buying links and making a chassis yourself, you might skip over to towerhobbies.com do a search for gatekeeper. they sell a chassis with links for like $75. it's the gatekeeper gc-3a and it is one awesome setup.

it's usually best to either vent the rims or vent the tires.

as for steering search the ax10 forum. i started a thread here about steering angles. it has some good tips. what i learned is that if you get tighter steering you are going to run into problems breaking the stock plastic hubs and knuckles. these are easy to replace, axial makes aluminum hubs, and high steer knuckles. they are around $35 for hubs and another $35 for knuckles. i consider these a must have. until you can afford them tho, check that thread about countersinking the front hub screw. you will most likely have to do a little moving around of the front links and shocks or the tires will hit them.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

also heres a video of it

http://youtu.be/HgDyHTwg3FI
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

That looks good, there's lots of mods you can make to a AX-10 do some reading and most importantly get it on some rocks and drive some lines. That's the best way to see what it needs. I'd start with more steering angle tight turning will be your friend.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I know I need more angle. I personally don't have any tools which makes it hard. Should I just start replacing the front end? Can anyone do me a favor and get together some parts replacements for rge steering on the cheap side? No.system kinda tight right now but I have some money I can put into this.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
That looks good, there's lots of mods you can make to a AX-10 do some reading and most importantly get it on some rocks and drive some lines. That's the best way to see what it needs. I'd start with more steering angle tight turning will be your friend.
But a high CG and bad link geometry make everything super unfun to drive! I can deal with reverses, just not toppling over when I don't feel it should!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

can anyone point me to a 48p 10t or 11t pinion. i cannot find one anywhere.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Here's one from RC4WD 10 Tooth 48 Pitch Hardened Steel Pinion Gear
Not sure the quality of it...

I'm sure Robinson Racing makes one as well. Here's another from Team Epic: Team EPIC 48P Lightened Steel Pinion Gear (10T) [TRITEP4210] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Why drop pinions that low on an AX10 when you can just increase the spur to a 90T?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Btw to lower your COG for cheap just limit your suspension with nitro fuel tubing inside the shock chamber. Nitro fuel tubing fits snug on the shaft since you're rebuilding the shocks anyway. Not to mention it's just a few cents at any LHS. Another freebie to lower CG is to flip your battery tray upside down and move your electronics as forward as possible. Then you can mirror your transmission (flip the skid plate and mount it backwards where your spur gear is facing the rear). This moves your motor weight to the front.

Second best upgrade is to get better tires/foams. HB white dot Rovers or Sedonas are proven and the most popular. Those Rock Lizards totally blow! Weigh down the front wheels as well.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalow88 View Post
I know I need more angle.
Remember, don't get hung up on all the "extreme" articulation pictures out there. If it flexes too much, nothing will be "pushing" into the ground. A good rule of thumb is 1 to 1 1/2 "tire heights" of flex, before the rears start lifting. Not 90 degrees
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Here's one from RC4WD 10 Tooth 48 Pitch Hardened Steel Pinion Gear
Not sure the quality of it...

I'm sure Robinson Racing makes one as well. Here's another from Team Epic: Team EPIC 48P Lightened Steel Pinion Gear (10T) [TRITEP4210] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Why drop pinions that low on an AX10 when you can just increase the spur to a 90T?
is there a difference between changing the pinion and the spur?

got my first crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference in AX10, Night Crawler, and Comp Crawler final gear ratios? shelljeep Newbie General 11 02-05-2010 12:48 AM
TCS - Novak Goat Crawler Systems in stock @ TCScrawlers.com - The Crawler Store kevinlongisland Vendors Market 0 09-14-2007 09:34 AM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM