RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   Gatekeeper links (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/360739-gatekeeper-links.html)

OKJeepin 01-18-2012 08:45 PM

Gatekeeper links

Can I get some opinions on link set up for the GC3A?
I am trying to keep the fronts planted on climbs and the rear from squatting down, I have read EVERY thread on here about anti squat, IC, COG, etc..and now I am utterly and hopelessly confused...(it doesn't take much to confuse me)

Rear Upper links - Higher or lower?

Front upper links - Higher or lower?

Climbs okay now, lifts the right front a little, but not too bad. Rear squats some, and the front doesn't stay as "planted" as I'd like.
Just give me a hint of which direction to start at and I'll take it from there.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...790800x425.jpg

opek 01-18-2012 08:54 PM

Re: Gatekeeper links

1 Attachment(s)
As far as rear links go, the vertical difference between the normal line (pink diagonal line) and either of the colored dots (each one corresponds to a different hole) is about how much anti squat you have. When the dot is above the pink line the rear end tends to raise, when the dot is below the line it tends to compress. The lowest hole is the most anti squat, the next hole is less, and the top hole has a bit of squat.

The pink line is drawn from the ground to the height of the center of gravity. From the center of the rear tire's contact patch to directly above the front axle. If the center of gravity lowered all the way to the ground, all of the dots would have TONS of anti squat. If the center of gravity raised all the way to the top of the picture all of the holes would have TONS of squat. So lowering and raising your center of gravity will affect those values (I just did a lame estimating job).

OKJeepin 01-19-2012 01:57 PM

So what your saying is that the way it is set-up in the picture is a good starting point right?
Thnaks for the picture and the info, it is greatly appreciated!

ROWDY RACING 01-19-2012 02:05 PM

I run my fronts and rears in the middle holes, it seems to do really well.
This chassis works best for me with the softest springs you can find on it, I run Axial blacks, would like something softer.

OKJeepin 01-19-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 3516487)
I run my fronts and rears in the middle holes, it seems to do really well.
This chassis works best for me with the softest springs you can find on it, I run Axial blacks, would like something softer.

I see the Axial blacks have a 1.04 rate, I am running Losi golds which are 1.40, maybe I need to try some lighter ones and see how that works. Thanks Rowdy, I need all the help I can get, my very first comp is Feb. 11th and I want to be ready!

ROWDY RACING 01-19-2012 02:39 PM

Another thing I am going to try is moving the front shocks into the top holes at the chassis to give it some rake.

dunebuggy79 01-19-2012 03:29 PM

Unbolt the skid plate and spin it around so the spur gear faces forward that will get rid of lifting the front tire and move the weight of the motor and tranny forward,any weight in your fronts yet?

OKJeepin 01-19-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunebuggy79 (Post 3516631)
Unbolt the skid plate and spin it around so the spur gear faces forward that will get rid of lifting the front tire and move the weight of the motor and tranny forward,any weight in your fronts yet?

Yep, 7 oz in each front, and a couple in each rear.

Stormin2u 01-19-2012 05:01 PM

You have your upper front under your battery servo mount thats right. Personally I like the bottom hole at the chassis on those fronts.

Your on top of the link mount at the rear that's right. Personally I like the middle hole t the chassis on the rears.

I ran the GC chassis for two years that was my best set-up. Today I run a T1e Moonbuggy Shafty and it's link mount locations are very near identical to the GC and that's still my best set-up. "thumbsup"

WAM 01-19-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKJeepin (Post 3516515)
I see the Axial blacks have a 1.04 rate, I am running Losi golds which are 1.40, maybe I need to try some lighter ones and see how that works. Thanks Rowdy, I need all the help I can get, my very first comp is Feb. 11th and I want to be ready!

I don't think so. I test all my springs and I found the Axial blacks to have about the same rate as the Losi golds. For softer, I'd go with Losi black 1.2's (new).

For now you might run the adjusters up to remove all spring preload, which will give you a little sag. But run 1/4" preload on the left rear only to reduce torque twist. And I agree with dunebuggy, your motor belongs on the right.

OKJeepin 01-19-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunebuggy79 (Post 3516631)

Just did that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin2u (Post 3516802)
You have your upper front under your battery servo mount thats right. Personally I like the bottom hole at the chassis on those fronts.

Your on top of the link mount at the rear that's right. Personally I like the middle hole t the chassis on the rears.

I ran the GC chassis for two years that was my best set-up. Today I run a T1e Moonbuggy Shafty and it's link mount locations are very near identical to the GC and that's still my best set-up. "thumbsup"

Thanks, thats how it is now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAM (Post 3516923)
I don't think so. I test all my springs and I found the Axial blacks to have about the same rate as the Losi golds. For softer, I'd go with Losi black 1.2's (new).

I was just going by the advertised spring rates, might have to try those Losi blacks

Anyways...I think I got it set up now thanks to you guys, and what a difference it made! "thumbsup"Torque twist, and lifting the tire on climbs is just about gone now, just needs a little "fine" tuning and I will be set, thanks! :mrgreen:

dunebuggy79 01-19-2012 06:33 PM

Anyways...I think I got it set up now thanks to you guys, and what a difference it made! "thumbsup"Torque twist, and lifting the tire on climbs is just about gone now, just needs a little "fine" tuning and I will be set, thanks! :mrgreen:

Yours is set up just like mine as far as link placements and mine reaches out and grabs traction,u might want to think about getting od/ud gears they help with tt to!!

OKJeepin 01-19-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunebuggy79 (Post 3517013)

Yours is set up just like mine as far as link placements and mine reaches out and grabs traction,u might want to think about getting od/ud gears they help with tt to!!

Already got 'em! "thumbsup"

greencrawler 01-19-2012 09:09 PM

shock position will help with the springs being a little too stiff, the more angle the shocks have, the easier the axle can over come spring tension. I always ran the links in the middle holes front and rear, the shocks have been changed from what I ran so check for binding also. Hope that helps

OKJeepin 01-20-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencrawler (Post 3517460)
shock position will help with the springs being a little too stiff, the more angle the shocks have, the easier the axle can over come spring tension. I always ran the links in the middle holes front and rear, the shocks have been changed from what I ran so check for binding also. Hope that helps

I put those shocks on, and they are just freshly rebuilt sporting Losi greys and golds with 30wt oil in them and are working great, so no binding at all there.
I agree, it looks like the middle holes are working the best after a LOT of testing with my setup.
Flipping the skid, and messing with the wheel weights helped a bunch.
I am absolutely loving this thing!

hoghead5150 01-20-2012 06:09 PM

i think you should run all the links in the bottom holes, and throw on them integy black springs you have. at least for the comp in feburary!!

might give me a chance to beat ya,,,,, i mean you beat me!

OKJeepin 01-20-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 (Post 3519204)
i think you should run all the links in the bottom holes, and throw on them integy black springs you have. at least for the comp in feburary!!

might give me a chance to beat ya,,,,, i mean you beat me!

Just wait, I got some tricks up my sleeve yet!

By the way, I hear the Fastback chassis works better if you mount it backwards, and swap the OD/UD gears around...:flipoff: :mrgreen: