Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My sons ax10 'test mule'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My sons ax10 'test mule'

Just thought i would share one of my sons builds with you guys.. its been the test mule for a few ideas and my 10y son drives the wheels of it and often surprises the big kids most of this will be cut paste from a local build thread so keep in mind some of it is up to 2year old as it was his first rig too

It started out as a ARTR ax10 which he ran for a while and learned to crawl, but as time went on he wanted it changed to keep up with his big brother then at the last comp he came second on the first course, but on the second course his little 645mg servo stripped a gear + the idle gear in the tranny ( stopped him beating me ) anyway i think he will be making the rest of us work hard in sportsman

So rig as it stands today... (nov 2010)
Mayhem chassis
Delrin 8mm links i made for him
ax10 shocks setup for semi droop
ax10 tranny, steel outputs, alloy idler gear
MIP driveshafts
ax10 rear axle, steel locker
ax10 front axle, steel locker, alloy C's & knuckles
Stock ARTR wheels with rear beadlocks trimed down to reduce weight, the front runs rc4wd spacers
Rovers with stock foams (now boss claws)
Quark ESC + outrunner (now mamba micro)
Trunigy HV300 servo (been repaired many time but still going)
DX3R radio (now nomadio react)

Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My sons ax10 'test mule'

This is some of the trouble he's had with the servo.. he has even snapped the shaft off the front of the servo too

His HV-300 servo was playing up, i know it couldnt be the main gear spinning cause we pinned that one, so after pulling it down i found it started spinning the other pressed gear (i think he is a bit hard on his servo's )

Anyway pinned the other gear...

And this was my first attempt with CF back in 2010, still holding up today but it was my last attempt at making my own CF....

Then i tried my hand at making a carbon plate for the rear links.. This is not full carbon fiber, is carbon top and bottom but fiberglass in the middle for thickness, its cheaper this way and should be strong enough for this...

Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Got rid of the plastic wheels and he took a pair of my rc4wd overdrive wheels

Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The stock ax10 outdrives are about as good as some of the xr10 parts... they brake so after some thought i came up with this lightweight fix, a year on and still holding strong

DJ broke another outdrive on his rig, he has broke about 4 of these now and ive run out of spares... with only one week till comp day

So seeing i wouldnt see one this side of the comp i took to the lathe

I made a billet outdrive of alloy..

This outdrive is 6mm and the MIP was machined out to suit..

All ready for DJ to fit into his rig..

So with some luck he wont brake the 6mm one if it goes well i'll make him one for the other end
Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Then early 2011 i got some xr10 axles and figured out a how to fit them to an ax10 without cutting/welding the axles, the first pair i made were from alloy to keep weight down, shorty after making them i had a local get me to make him some in brass, i also ended up making alloy sleeves but these days offer delrin sleeves to give a stock look and help slide on rocks....

DJ's rig copped an upgrade with a differance last week.. its something ive been working on since starting the scale rig im building

Ive fitted xr10 axles/C's/knuckles to his ax10

He was testing it over the weekend and is very happy to have his rig turn when he wants it to.. so far its holding up and as you can see in the pics im using plactic C's & knuckles so we will see how they hold up to DJ

Stay tuned.... Hulksta Engineering coming soon
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
RCC Addict

And here is the alloy sleeves i trialed, and the fix to stop the chubs turning in binds...

The new tubes work a treat but i noticed the C's were moving, because the xr10 are designed to adjust but on a spline and the tubes not having a spline the C's were moving a little.. most wouldnt worry about it but not me

So what ive added is an extra hole on the edge of the C so once the caster is set to an amount im happy with i cut a little notch in the C to lock it in (this is in your set to Ben, i added it before sending) happy with how it turned out i looked at what i could do to replace the cut down plastic ax10 C's, what ive come up with is a alloy sleeve that locks it all in very solid

This is before the screw is fitted..
Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
RCC Addict

And this is the most upto date update of his build, its got some unreal steering that even puts my berg with 300's to shame No pics of the steering angle and the from end is in bits again while i build a new steering setup for it so i'll get pics asap

Just helping DJ with pics of his upgrades.. he got vanquish bits off santa

He is also running brass tubes now and the delrin sleeves, if only he had black chubs it would like almost factory

4mm Titanium link sits nicely out of the way

Note for those doing the ax2xr tube mod
When i changed from the plastic knuckles/chubs to VP knuckles/chubs the steering link didnt fit, so i removed the revo rodends and fitted jato rodends.. this turned out to be the perfect fit
So those changing from plastic to VP keep this in mind
Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

For anyone reading this, Dan's son DJ,with this rig goes hard and goes well and quite often is the benchmark on alot of local comp courses. Good write up Dan and im sure DJ will be force to be reckoned with in our 2012 comps.
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

got a question for ya. are you running the bearing on the axle? i know there are 2 bearings that mount in the knuckle, and one bearing that mounts in the end of the axle housing. are you running the bearing that mounts in the axle, or did you remove it?
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Sweet set up Dan and DJ, I can tell that little rig has had some love.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
For anyone reading this, Dan's son DJ,with this rig goes hard and goes well and quite often is the benchmark on alot of local comp courses. Good write up Dan and im sure DJ will be force to be reckoned with in our 2012 comps.
Thanks Ben He still hasn't beat me in it tho only a matter of time i know, he is so devoted that he would easily have double the crawl time ive got and we started at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
got a question for ya. are you running the bearing on the axle? i know there are 2 bearings that mount in the knuckle, and one bearing that mounts in the end of the axle housing. are you running the bearing that mounts in the axle, or did you remove it?
That bearing is gone, havent run one there since the dogbones were ditched, with the weight tubes i make it allows maxium amount of brass squessed in too which is what guys have been asking for, one less part to fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Sweet set up Dan and DJ, I can tell that little rig has had some love.
Yep DJ has even to bed with him its his fav toy and often gets upset with me when there is nothing to work on it, if he had his way i wouldnt be making stuff for other guys and i would be making upgrades for him (which he has me doing today)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Try to Bend it

Time for an update. I want to see the deadly steering
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote

My sons ax10 'test mule' - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test Mule 4 The New Trailmaster Trans. (pede Alternative) RC Crawler Boyz 2.2 Scale Rigs 54 01-22-2007 06:37 AM
project rock mule shrek Tamiya Clod Buster 4 02-27-2006 06:56 AM
El Mule crawls neakid! Highmark Videos! 2 09-26-2004 12:37 PM