Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Recycle your Gatekeeper GC3a Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Recycle your Gatekeeper GC3a Chassis

I first saw this idea on Ben's build, see link.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...id-2012-a.html

I normally run an XR10 body on the gatekeeper, seems to work for me -but now I want all my rigs to run bodyless.

This is a hybrid between a BWD SSS-R Bodyless Topper and a stock Gate Keeper GC3a.

The Gatekeeper is already built like a tank, with the SSR-R top I could take some material and a few chassis braces out, but I'm going to start my testing as is first.

Note: This is not a 100% perfect fit, you will need to tug on the delrin plate a little to get everything to fit. Also, you will need to relocate the battery if you strap it over the steering servo like I normally do.

In the pictures (2) delrin 1/4" rod's are used , but the one's included in the SSS-R bodyless kit fit w/o issues.

I still have not tested it, looks "cool" but the truth is in when I test it at our Feb Comp meet. I noticed that the the top of the windshield support that will act as the pivot point when you are upside-down is close to the front of the chassis. This means that there is less levarage for the front weight to work against = May not be a great performer when you are upside down. This will have to be determined through on the job training...

I need to install a new front servo battery plate, the front of the frame hit the back of the battery ( Not shown in the pictures)

This is the picture of another gate keeper that now has been converted over to a Fast Back II Chassis.

This is what the front end needs to look like if you are going to try out the SSS-R topper

Last edited by Eric Perez; 01-21-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Eric Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Default Re: Recycle your Gatekeeper GC3a Chassis

I like that. I was thinkin a few days ago that i wish there was a cool topper for the gatekeeper
Rockcrawlintoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Recycle your Gatekeeper GC3a Chassis

Looks good Eric, thanks for the mention. the BWD topper has the look of a VW in shape but on its own it looks cool but being adventrous with panels you can change it and make it almost a fastback in stlye like i did. ive found that as the topper reflects a VW if your a bit adventrous i think you could make it look good with any chassis with some imagination as it sits low it looks good with the big crawler tyres. I look foward to see where you go with this,

Ben
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Recycle your Gatekeeper GC3a Chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gatekeeper gc3a (noob) GMtech1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 12-07-2011 12:50 AM
SWX or Gatekeeper gc3a? PowerCrazy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 04-23-2011 01:00 PM
gatekeeper gc3a gatecreeper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 03-01-2011 09:01 PM