Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My ax10 rtc build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Exclamation My ax10 rtc build

Hi im new here and wanted to show my ax10 build here
what ive done so far is:
trimming foams insert
trimming body
install upper link plate on front with 2 stripes of 1:1 wheel weight

parts ordered:
axial green aluminium parts
axial rtr hardware upgrade

now i want answers to my questions
1- wich servo is better between futaba s3305 and savox 0251?
2- is this horn fits on aboved named servo? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230703626096?...ht_1368wt_1110
3-are my proline hammers good on rocks or i need to buy rovers pink dot?
4-do someone know the lenght of this? Axial Racing - Press : Download : Imagery / Press Releases
5- what are the smoothest springs i can put in the front?
6- im thinking of changing the gear ratio with the 10t pinion ant 96t spur, is the spur too big and wont fit?

some pics as it is now

thank you for reading and answers, tips, opignons
qcax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

Default Re: My ax10 rtc build

just did a major upgrade, i mirrored my transmission

Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The servo horn will fit. Actually it is written in the ad;). Just for ref. futaba and savox have the same 25splines spindle
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Rovers are the way to go. Hammers are not so bad if you sype them a bit. I wish they were 5.5 tall instead of 4.96. The bigger wheel - the bigger obstacle you can take. The smaller wheel - the easier you front will go further on and pull your back.
Springs - you can be really stunned how well stock shocks perform once you tune them with a proper oil and preload. Use stock sprigs. That will save you some bucks.
You will need to limit articulation and make a new steering rod, coz stock plays too much

Last edited by shizzz; 01-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you move your front three link mount on the chassis to the farthest back hole the rig should work better in reverse and will steer better on hills. Run the hammers for a few months. And the pink dot rovers are a wet and cold tire, they will not perform as well as a white dot in dry, not freezing conditions.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

i'm kinda in the same boat. tell ya what i did. first the tires suck. get white dot rovers. get those weights off the links and put them in the tires.

what i've done is take the stock shocks off and tear them apart. usually they have all kinds of plastic nubs that rub inside the shock body. take the springs off and cycle the shock, you will feel it hanging up! so sand the pistons till they are smooth and refill with whatever shock oil you like.

i'm running losi gold springs on mine. they are soft and very smooth.

if your going to crawl rocks those servo's won't work very well. you need something with 300 oz of power or more! search and you will find alot of different ones like the jrz9000t (what i have), the hitec 7950, 7955, and so on. different manufactures of servo's use different horns. you will need to buy a servo horn AFTER you buy your servo to make sure you get the right spline count.

as for the axial battery plate, i would skip it and look at the vanquish plate or the strc plate. these give you servo mounting options, battery mount options, AND you can 4 link the front suspension with these. the axial version does NOT allow for 4 linking.

as for the gearing, i don't think a 97t spur will clear the driveshaft. i could be wrong tho! what i did was run the 87t spur, 14t pinion, and switched both my axle gears. i'm running the overdrive gears in front, underdrive gears in rear. this also helps in the turning radis.

if you haven't thought about it yet, the axle c hubs and knuckles will be tore up quick if you install a bigger servo. look into the axial brand clockable c hubs, and high steer knuckles!!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

1) Either or you just want a servo that is gonna supply over 200oz of torque and tbh the stock as-2 servo is quite stout when you throw more power to the rig like say lipos and a bec.

2) Presonaly i use the losi horns they fit most every servo or have one that does and there alum and under 10 bucks at your LHS.

3) Ditch the Hammers and get a set of White Dot Rovers or Sedonas the picks are just to soft imo.

4) On that plate its kinda a waste of money considering its not a 4 link plate and higher than most other brand 4link battery plates example https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-vi...er-p-2449.html

5) Either Traxxas big bores with cap mod or losi comp shocks or axial comp shocks are nice also , alot of shocks is all based off how you set them up what springs you choise and what weight oil you use also.

6) Me personally i just run stock with UD/OD gear sets it works nicely.

Me personally i would pick up a good custom chassis and start setting it up to lower that CoG and switch to lipos the stock esc can handle 2s with ease get a bec and use that stock servo till it goes poof. Best way to build a crawler is to trial and era it till you like it watch the susspention work get it down the way you like it. The stock esc is pretty much a sidewinder made by CC get a castlelink and set it up via the pc so much you can do with these trucks its not even funny and alot of good post on this forums to help you along the way.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

missed the part where you say pink dot. Usually white dot is what we all use. As for servo. Be warned, that if you use 300 oz plus -you gonna have troubles. if you can't control you truck properly.
You would better do the tuning to what you already have. Step by step. That will help you to understand how everything works and what you really need. If you have chance, do your own 4-link front plate. It's easy and cost no to very small amount of money.

Last edited by shizzz; 01-08-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

yeah my first 4 link plate was made from the stock battery tray just takes a drimel and some time and a grease marker.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post
You would better do the tuning to what you already have. Step by step. That will help you to understand how everything works and what you really need. If you have chance, do your own 4-link front plate. It's easy and cost no to very small amount of money.

And this is way more fun than throwing money at it!
Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
And this is way more fun than throwing money at it!
Unless you like makeing your wife mad lol

Last edited by 2006Shelby; 01-08-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #12

i was looking for the proline tubeframe too is it worth it? will this lower my cog? and what is bec? the more i read the more my parts list to what i gotta order becomes big o_O
Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Castle Creations | CC BEC and CC BEC Pro and that frame is so so but check the vendors on this forums for nice chassis.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcax10 View Post
i was looking for the proline tubeframe too is it worth it? will this lower my cog? and what is bec? the more i read the more my parts list to what i gotta order becomes big o_O
If I were you I would hold off on ordering parts and learn to set up the rig with what you have. Once you do that you will see specific areas which bother you, and you also you develop an idea of what you will need to change it to your liking.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
If I were you I would hold off on ordering parts and learn to set up the rig with what you have. Once you do that you will see specific areas which bother you, and you also you develop an idea of what you will need to change it to your liking.
I agree totally i went all out and bought shit and ended up going back and starting over and learning and now i love what i have learned and have got now in a shafty.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
now i want answers to my questions
Had trouble finding specs on the stock AS-2, but Bluebird makes a servo that looks strikingly similar. Specs are fairly close to the Futaba's, but I would still recommend the Futaba as it's bearing supported. I threw some 6x10x3mm bearings in the AS-2 this morning, and can't get the case shut all the way. Better than it was, though. Next servo I get will likely be the 3051HV. Savox servos have a reputation for being power hungry, and the model you've picked out is no slouch. A lot of people remark that they tend to buzz alot, and are genreally noisy, but that they're pretty stout and durable. Plan an extra $20-$25 for a CC BEC, and another $25 for a CastleLink to adjust the voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcax10
2- is this horn fits on aboved named servo? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/230703626096?...ht_1368wt_1110
The seller says it does, dunno, do you trust the seller, and will they let you return it if it doesn't?

Quote:
3-are my proline hammers good on rocks or i need to buy rovers pink dot?
I'm still rolling on the stock Hammers w/memory foam, they seem to wear for a long time. Based on recommendations from people I run with, I picked up a set of white dot rovers. Haven't mounted them, yet.

Quote:
4-do someone know the lenght of this? Axial Racing - Press : Download : Imagery / Press Releases
Not sure, as I made my own. Can only assume you're asking because you flipped your radio tray, and now have nowhere to mount your battery........ If you mount that on your rear axle, it'll be wide enough to mount your shotgun pack between the rear wheels. Not exactly ideal, but it'll work. If you mount that battery tray up front, your steering servo will go atop that, and you'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 70ish or so mm's open for a small LiPo. But there's better options than that plate out there, IMO.
This:
This:

Quote:
5- what are the smoothest springs i can put in the front?
Dunno, I run the stock springs.

Quote:
6- im thinking of changing the gear ratio with the 10t pinion ant 96t spur, is the spur too big and wont fit?
Yikes! I think stock on my RTC is 14/87, and with the stock 55 turn motor, it's rather slow. Keep in mind you'll need some wheel speed if you're ever going to spin those wheels fast enough to flip you over once you land upside down. (also be an extremely wise idea to move those weights off the upper links and into the outside of the wheels, between the wheels and the foams)

Quote:
thank you for reading and answers, tips, opignons
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Proline tuber is a direct fit, correct me, if I'm wrong. It will not. Lower your cg. As said above by me and Opek as well, stay away from buying stuff for a while. Use your current setup to learn your lessons in understanding the basics :thumbsup:
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #18

Quote:
I have the 3305 on my AX10 with a TCS Edge chassis. I should have researched more before I bought it because it isn't even close to being strong enough. Don't waste your money like I did.
xdbrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #19

today when ill get some time ill put my lower links inward my skidplate hope it will help a bit
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #20

Quote:
today when ill get some time ill put my lower links inward my skidplate hope it will help a bit
Doing that and getting aluminum links with metal ball ends made a pretty big difference for me.
xdbrix is offline   Reply With Quote

My ax10 rtc build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 RTC to Edge build, 1st timer WAM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 05-28-2011 12:25 AM
my ax10 rtc desertrunner Newbie General 4 01-21-2010 09:30 PM
ax10 rtc river rat Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 08-09-2009 06:25 PM
ax10 rtc 24inchapes Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 07-12-2009 07:17 PM