Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Ax10 Improvements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ax10 Improvements

Ok Guys i have read for many hours on these forums and kinda lost still because im very cautious when i buy stuff. I am looking at upgrading my ax10 more so far i have put in all uper and lower arms new streering arms ordered new full metal drive shafts and have a Bender's SWX chasis also a baja bug body cut to fit. Still running stock servo, motor, springs, and esc. Main thing im wanting to upgrad is my esc and servo possibly the motor also but im on a budget sadly. Whats is the best servo and esc for the money out there for a novice crawler prefered waterproofed esc ect because we take our rigs with us when we go rockcrawling in our jeeps and there are some creek beds we crawl in. Also the tires are foamless with air in them froma trick i learnt from a friend the also have BB's inside for added weight that alsways stays on the bottom of the tire for traction and also stacks of pennies on the front axels. Btw i have done search after search just needing some good advice and any advice is welcome ill try to post some pics also thank you.

2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i have one of these on order but i have a couple of friends that have heavily modded ax10's.. so what i've seen from their trucks is get an esc that has a drag brake i run a novak rooster crawler esc in my honcho and a friend runs one in his ax10, they are awesome very easy to program.

for a servo not sure what kind of budget you have but the hitech 7950 servo is awesome but its also just over a 100 bucks, if your like me and dont have that kind of cash then get a hs 645mg.. will run you between 35-50 bucks. not as powerful as the 7950 but its half the price and is better than stock!!

i've spent dozens of hours reading about scx10 honcho's and now i have to spend the same amount of time reading about ax10's because they are totally different crawlers.. weight placement etc... what works and what doesnt. im like you, i have a very tight budget and upgrade parts when i can.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Suck it up!

You've already got a good esc. All you need to do is head over to the electronics section and read the sticky about waterproofing.

Any metal geared servo with more than 150 oz will do you fine if you're just starting out and not seriously comping, and they aren't terribly expensive. They can be waterproofed as well.

If you're driving in mud and water, don't spend good money on a motor. Buy the cheap ones to destroy.

The air and BB trick is not really a trick, and not really done anymore. There are better alternatives. FYI: bb's only stay at the bottom when you're moving really slow.

Taped together pennies are ok, but for their size they aren't as heavy as lead.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten tires...a set of Rovers will do wonders...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Still debating on tires atm looking at the Tsl Boggers for there height for more clearance but i have also looked at the rovers also yeah bb's and air was my cheap fix to weight untill i hit up my buddy at his tire store for some sticky weights.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Shelby View Post
Ok Guys i have read for many hours on these forums and kinda lost still because im very cautious when i buy stuff. I am looking at upgrading my ax10 more so far i have put in all uper and lower arms new streering arms ordered new full metal drive shafts and have a Bender's SWX chasis also a baja bug body cut to fit. Still running stock servo, motor, springs, and esc. Main thing im wanting to upgrad is my esc and servo possibly the motor also but im on a budget sadly. Whats is the best servo and esc for the money out there for a novice crawler prefered waterproofed esc ect because we take our rigs with us when we go rockcrawling in our jeeps and there are some creek beds we crawl in. Also the tires are foamless with air in them froma trick i learnt from a friend the also have BB's inside for added weight that alsways stays on the bottom of the tire for traction and also stacks of pennies on the front axels. Btw i have done search after search just needing some good advice and any advice is welcome ill try to post some pics also thank you.
Few tips here mite help you ..

D.I.Y Mods for AX-10... what have you done...

Sean.

West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

A
Quote:
Still debating on tires atm looking at the Tsl Boggers for there height for more clearance but i have also looked at the rovers also yeah bb's and air was my cheap fix to weight untill i hit up my buddy at his tire store for some sticky weights.
If you want a crawler, don't do the boggers. Rovers are amazing (white dot) and the sedonas are great too
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

the Rovers are definetly awesome, real good grip on the rocks
Joe&Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
RCC Addict

a friend has the sedona's and they are awesome.. i've driven his rig a few times and they grip really good on the rocks..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #9

I've got an AX10 on Sedonas. I love them! I just ordered a second set for my spare rig.
roadstr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #10

I know it may be out of favor with the hardcore crawler folks but one thing I did on my AX-10 RTR was to swap in an axial 27 turn motor to increase my wheel speed. I kept the gearing the same. I'm running a stick pack like you and having a little more speed makes yard crawling a lot more fun for me. The axial 27 turn (or any other low grade stock (27t) brushed motor for that matter) is only $15.00. Try one out and see what you think. I know I like mine on 27t. A side benefit of running a cheap silver can motor is that when you dunk it you don't have to worry about it. If the smoke gets out, buy another one. At $15.00 I just keep a spare or two around.
roadstr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ordered Rovers Last night 2 sets and also ordered some venom c Hubs and Streering knuckles and also wanting to do shocks just not sure which to get on that ither i know Big Bore Traxxas are cheap and work well and i have also looked at the xspede Big Bore 100mm. Desided to stay with Stock esc for the time being and i also got 2 Tower pro mg 995 servos for the torque you cant beat the price and there all metal ( like 10 bucks for 2 ) i couldnt pass them up. So hit me up about some shock thoughts , i would do the cap mod but i broke my drimel lastnight trying to make a couple 4 link plates lol. One other question the stock axels are metal but i get alot of play in them at the tire what can i do to fix that also.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ordered Rovers Last night 2 sets and also ordered some venom c Hubs and Streering knuckles and also wanting to do shocks just not sure which to get on that ither i know Big Bore Traxxas are cheap and work well and i have also looked at the xspede Big Bore 100mm. Desided to stay with Stock esc for the time being and i also got 2 Tower pro mg 995 servos for the torque you cant beat the price and there all metal ( like 10 bucks for 2 ) i couldnt pass them up. So hit me up about some shock thoughts , i would do the cap mod but i broke my drimel lastnight trying to make a couple 4 link plates lol. One other question the stock axels are metal but i get alot of play in them at the tire what can i do to fix that also.
On my AX , I've use a thin plastic washer ,behind the pin/hex..
West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
One other question the stock axels are metal but i get alot of play in them at the tire what can i do to fix that also.
Not much without spending a good chunk of change. Its a non-issue though, its bugs some people and not others.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-02-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

get a castle link & adjust your esc....

to waterproof it & your servo, etc.. watch this video How to waterproof your ESC/ Mamba Monster - YouTube He has others for the reciever & servo

Oh & the BB thing is absolutly not recomended. when you stop quickly on a hill they will pull you down with gravity... shifting weight is always a bad thing! (RC or 1:1)

Last edited by airdreams1; 12-05-2011 at 02:58 PM.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreams1 View Post
get a castle link & adjust your esc....
How is he going to adjust a Goat with a Castle Link?

edit: nevermind, wrong thread.

Yes, get the Castle Link.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-05-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I got my Rovers in today and omg these things are huge and grip so much better only down fall im having is the bind up alot they grip so much and make my slipper clutch work its almost like the foam is to small for the tires, Any suggestions on what i can do to fix that problem ? Also i got rid of the BB's and replaced it with 7 oz of lead tires weights. I will also look into the castle link thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to tell you all thank you agian for a guy who is just getting into this and trying to learn as fast as possible you all have been a life send so thank you all agian. Wish my alum C hubs and rear lock out and knuckles would get here soon also , my driveshafts should be here tomorrow and ill try to get some new pics up once i get my new body done.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Either lock that slipper down or get rid of it entirely. Crawlers really don't need them.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Definitely recommend eliminating the slipper entirely... Even on my go-fast RCs I tend to lock them down (not entirely but to allow minimal slip). Learning throttle control wins over mechanical compensation IMO, and in a crawler you're not likely to be punching the throttle hard enough to matter. And if you do, it's a good excuse to buy more fancy metal parts to replace the broken plastic ones!
cyrusd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well got my Venom Chub and Knuckles in and they fit perfect and my MiP drive shafts came in and the dude tried to over charge me so i had to order them from some other place. Going to attempt to remove that slipper tonight also ordered myself a 35t novah motor today and a rooster esc now i get to try to learn to solder agian still debating on shocks and if i wanna get traxxas big bores and atempt the cap thing or if i just wanna get a 4in. Btw since im seem to be dumping a crap ton of cash into this thing i need suggestion on lipo's and a charger for a desent price that will work with my stock esc and stuff atm because my new motor and esc is coming from hong kong and they wont be here till after the first of the year.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Quote:
ordered myself a 35t novah motor today and a rooster esc

Dude you've got a perfectly good esc now. Why waste the money?

And why order it from overseas. Hell, you could have gotten a kick ass 35t handwound for less than what you spent for the Rooster combo thing.