Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: " THE METAMORPHOSIS " Death of the Bodiless Sportsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: " THE METAMORPHOSIS " Death of the Bodiless Sportsman

Most club rules are a result of what the majority want. If you and the other Sportsman guys don't like them, I'd bet you could get them changed.

Many areas just don't have enough entry to support a separate novice class and a Sportsman class. So they get combined, and compromises happen. But your rules are about as "compromised" as I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to run them.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #42
RCC Addict

i am excited about getting it for sure i have vp stuff on my wraith and there stuff is amazing looks,craftsmanship,quality and fitment. how do you have your receiver mounted will i be able to make a plate to mount it?
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10tn View Post
i am excited about getting it for sure i have vp stuff on my wraith and there stuff is amazing looks,craftsmanship,quality and fitment. how do you have your receiver mounted will i be able to make a plate to mount it?
What I did was take a piece of aluminum put a 90 degree bend to it and attached it to one of the rear cross braces. You can see it in this picture :

DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #44
RCC Addict

ok cool thanks..ill probably have a thousand more ?'s for hope you dont mind. one thing is can you run stock length links on the vp chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
What I did was take a piece of aluminum put a 90 degree bend to it and attached it to one of the rear cross braces. You can see it in this picture :

ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10tn View Post
ok cool thanks..ill probably have a thousand more ?'s for hope you dont mind. one thing is can you run stock length links on the vp chassis?

I do believe that you can. Of cource if you are going to be Comping you will need to be aware of your wheel base. 12 1/2" center to center of the axle nuts. Just keep it in mind while your setting up the chassis.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Well I am going to rant just a little of a experience I had this week. I found at RCBOCA a great deal on Axial rear lockout. They showed them to be in stock so, I ordered up. Two days later I still had not received a delivery confirmation. I contacted them and was told "Oh we don't have, but they are on their way. I decided to be paitent and wait. Another two day's go by "Oh we did not get them". I do appreciate they offered to refund the first time but, you would think a outfit as large as them would have some type of inventory control.

So, I will be removing the STRC lockouts from my "PD" build and putting them on this rig. I scored a used/new set of the VP Ax10 lockouts on ebay. I have been looking for the VP units for quite awhile.I will install the VP on my "PD". So, as the Wifey likes to say "Everything happens for a reason."

I FEEL BETTER !

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 02-11-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Yay everything is better
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Just so the air is clear this sportsman class is the start of something the club would like to think as taking it back to the basics meaning it is a Vintage sportsman class not just sportsman.

This well take it back to a time with no dig no tall ass tires and no overdrive. This is something the club so far has had success with and no complaints. I personally think it's a great idea and so far after my vintage build i've been stoked on tryin to make it better and better just like back in the day.

Although with a rig like this I forgot what torque twist is all about lol
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock View Post
Just so the air is clear this sportsman class is the start of something the club would like to think as taking it back to the basics meaning it is a Vintage sportsman class not just sportsman.

This well take it back to a time with no dig no tall ass tires and no overdrive. This is something the club so far has had success with and no complaints. I personally think it's a great idea and so far after my vintage build i've been stoked on tryin to make it better and better just like back in the day.

Although with a rig like this I forgot what torque twist is all about lol
I have been chatting with ratterd. He sent me a very nice email. I have asked him to please send a complete rules list for this class.

To everyone that is following this thread, It seems that the rules I posted earlier in this thread ( I received from a member of the local Comps ) where incomplete. For this I am sorry, I was presented a set of rules that are not complete. I should have furthered my investigation of these rule prior to starting this thread. It has not been my intention of humiliating beginners or upsetting anyone. I would never want to discourage anyone or people just starting out in this great hobby we all enjoy so much.
I also would like to add. The people I have had the great pleasure of Comping with locally. Have always been encouraging and inspiring to me. If anything they are the ones who got me hooked into building. And for that I am Thankful and Greatful.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Glad to hear things are being cleared up for ya Dan.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Oh AFTER I show up and kill the car with mine I read this thread ()

I got to give his sporty some credit, considering i was running rovers and he was running hammers, the car did extremely well out there on the rocks. I still vote the Rovers gripped better but hey they weren't comp legal but overall we had fun and i still think I won because I didn't have to take a reverse around a turn

Expect a few of those "late night talking by the magic fireplace shock mount dinglehopper thingies" sometime soon, I should have my mill cranking them suckers out pending tools got to hate waiting on tools
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Well it appears another rule has popped up. No O/D and U/D gears set ups. Need more money again, I might just go out and watch the Comps and leave the rigs at home.
I was planning on heading to Tahoe for the Axial Fest. I guess I better contact them to find out the rules for that event. I might just be spinning my wheels (Figuratively).
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #53
Croakin' across the pond!

As the AX10 is showing s "discontinued" on the Axial site - does that make it 'vintage". To me, if one wants to make limited classes, then the sensible thing to do is to only allow parts that appear on the manufacturers hop-up list. Let's face it, the AX10 was boxed to a spec. and it was assumed that the punter would then go to the options list to get it to work properly. This is not a criticism aimed at any particular set of club rules - just a general observation.

I see a lot of "vintage" RC10's but they sure as h*ll aren't "stock!!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #54
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
Well it appears another rule has popped up. No O/D and U/D gears set ups. Need more money again, I might just go out and watch the Comps and leave the rigs at home.
I was planning on heading to Tahoe for the Axial Fest. I guess I better contact them to find out the rules for that event. I might just be spinning my wheels (Figuratively).
Wow, I wish my local club would start a class for really horribly performing trucks.

Whats next, no servo over 200oz?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #55
Try to Bend it

Don't forget the three link all horrible rigs need that
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #56
RCC Addict

In defense of the local Comps. I really do appreciate the fact that they are really trying to bring in "New blood" for that . I also understand not wanting others to come out and overwhelm the "New blood". I can totally see that aspect, for I at one time showed up with what I thought was a quality rig. Then to tech I went, wheel base to high. Never new anything about a BEC. I was challenged by the rules. This being the issue I went home and did some reading on this AMAZING website. I admit to all, I spend more time building then Playing with the rigs I build. Call it therapy or OCD (Obsessive–compulsive disorder).

I do want it out their that I have have been invited to come out regardless of the gearing. To atleast get some atmosphere before Axial Fest. It has been said that more than likely they (Axial Fest) will allow O/D and U/D gearing.

I also have found that the idea of a "Vintage Sportsman to be very interesting. I would like to see a specific listing on what classifies as a "Vintage Crawler". I have been wanting to start a new build more along the Scaler base (Wraith) but, we will see.

D#M% IT, with all of the stock items I have either given away or sold over the past. I would have had a cash of Items that would have allowed for a true "Vintage crawler type build". With all that I have learned over the years, I could have put out a quality rig with stock parts. Just another time being a Prognosticator would have come in handy LOL.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #57
RCC Addict

The final Metamorphosis is complete. I installed Axial High clearence Knuckles and Axial Clockable C-hubs. I also installed all Lunsford steering links and a longer Servo arm to line it all up. I also installed the STRC Lockouts on the rear axle from my "PD build". I replaced the Lockout's on the "PD" with some Vanquish lock outs that I scored.

Here are a couple photos of the complete transformation :

Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #58
TSK
Shelf queen

Man your club screwed you good.

Tell them have a spec class for the near stock trucks. Seems ridiculous that you can't run OD/UD gear sets. The HD gear set with the stock ratio cost just as much as the OD/UD stuff, so does it make it an illegal upgrade? I mean it's no fun having a truck that runs like crap, and I'm pretty sure you lose more enthusiasts frustrated with poor performance than you lose due to "not having a cool part"

That's part of the appeal of this hobby. Maybe not for everyone, but definitely for me, is the ability to tweak in things, and come up with ideas and try them out to see how it affects performance. sure some things like lipo & a high torque servo are a given, but give any guy a stock truck after they've ran something they've tweaked with, and I'm pretty sure they'll do their best to blow it up to let it go out with dignity.

Last edited by TSK; 02-23-2012 at 09:34 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Man your club screwed you good.

Tell them have a spec class for the near stock trucks. Seems ridiculous that you can't run OD/UD gear sets. The HD gear set with the stock ratio cost just as much as the OD/UD stuff, so does it make it an illegal upgrade? I mean it's no fun having a truck that runs like crap, and I'm pretty sure you lose more enthusiasts frustrated with poor performance than you lose due to "not having a cool part"

That's part of the Aopeal of this hobby. Maybe not for everyone, but definitely for me, is the ability to tweak in things, and come up with ideas and try them out to see how it affects performance. sure some things like lipo & a high torque servo are a given, but give any guy a stock truck after they've ran something they've tweaked with, and I'm pretty sure they'll do their best to blow it up to let it go out with dignity.
As I have expressed the build is my therapy. After a stressful day at work, tweaking on my toy's clears my head and makes me smile. I also love getting online here and chatting with everyone that has the same hobby as I. RCC Rocks, I have made some wonderful friends here.

I am sad to see this build completed at this time. Atleast till something else come about LOL. I am starting to pick up some parts for the next project HE ! HE ! ! HE ! ! !
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #60
TSK
Shelf queen

Now that I'm done ranting, let me just provide a set of guidelines for the "die with dignity" spec class.

- no OD/UD
- <199oz servos
- no BEC
- no dig
- no bodiless chassis
- chassis material can be molded composite or stamp,Ed 6061 aluminum
- all links must be made off all-thread
- no aluminum or threaded bodied shocks
- no mini-T springs
- no clamping servo horns
- only AM or FM radios only
- no coiling or antenna wire
- sub C nickel cadmium batteries only. 6 cell max
- tamiya style battery connectors only
- no 2 stage, memory or star cut foams allowed
- tires cannot measure more than 5.2" in diameter
- no Traxxas branded or metal construction driveshafts allowed
- all vehicles must be assembled with Phillips screwdrivers or "L" shaped Allen keys
- no knuckle, lockout or wheel weights of any type allowed
- mabuchi style, non-serviceable silver can motor only
- no loctite
- no inboard mounted lower links at the chassis
- no cvd's, universals, or straight axle conversion
- no high clearance steering knuckles
-30* max steering angle
- no 4ws
- no fun, laughing, who-hawing, shit talking, mockery, encouragement, beer drinking, comradEry, borrowing of equipment and/or tools

Last edited by TSK; 02-23-2012 at 09:38 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

" THE METAMORPHOSIS " Death of the Bodiless Sportsman - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM
"brushless review "ccmicro pro" vs "novak mong". ROLANDROCKSHOP Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 22 11-15-2009 08:27 PM