Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: " THE METAMORPHOSIS " Death of the Bodiless Sportsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default " THE METAMORPHOSIS " Death of the Bodiless Sportsman

Well, much to my disappointment I have had to alter my My " OG Frogger Litoria xanthomera ". The local Comp said that I would have to remove Losi Comp tires and the Bodiless chassis to run "Sportsman". I still have my "The official Tuolumne County Poison Dart" this falls into the "Pro sportsman" class.
I will really miss this rig she has been great in many if not all situations I have put her into. I really enjoyed her ability on rollover recovery.

Anyways here is a picture of Litoria Xanthomera before her Metamorphosis :

I chose the Vanquish Incision Chassis as the next step in altering Litoria. ( Cost was in the decision process, with my Foff build still in process )

After striping down "Litoria" this is the pile off items being put forward to the new chassis.

List of parts :

Axial axles
Front { Beef toobs, O/D hardened gears, 3racing Chubs and knuckles }
Rear { Beef toobs, U/D Hardened gears, STRC lockouts }

Axial Trans { 3 Racing Aluminum Housing, Robinson racing gears through out 87t spur with slipper}

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Pro handwound 45t w/23t robinson pinion.

MIP driveshafts

7.4v 1000Mah Lipo

Novac Rooster esc

Castle Creations BEC

Airtronics 94780 servo

Traxxas Big bores { Mini T springs, jeepindoug Cups }

Vp Razors in the rear

JoNeS'N Frog Legz

Proline Hammers { Thank you Crawler-Dad )

I am sure I have missed something ANYWAYS.

Started by installing the Trans and Motor to the skid ( Cleaned Up as I went )

Then I went forth with the axles to the New Chassis :

So after some playing around with the initial set up this where it is for now. I am waiting on a body from Jebster to arrive before a full blown bashing. I have Gunnar Comp mounts waiting for the body.
I have been wanting for a while to up grade the C hubs (Clockable) for a while. After this build even more so now. Those will be coming soon.

So here it is as it sits now. Fine tuning to come probably next weekend.

As always any suggestions and or comments is always appreciated .

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 01-31-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: edit
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: " the metamorphosis "

good looking buggy cant wait to see it with a body
cliff1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Why exactly could you not us that bodiless chassis ?
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Shelby View Post
Why exactly could you not us that bodiless chassis ?
This what I was informed of by my local Comps :

Sportsman class rules :

this class is intended for beginner and those of us that have our old digless shafties

tires

there will be NO modifications done to tires. legal tires are
moabs; masher2000; badlands;hammers; losi rock claws; axial rock lizards and tires that came with the kits.

rims

rims must be 2.2 all 4 rims must be same width plastic and aluminium bead locks ok

chassis

the only chassis not allowed are torsion and flat sided bodyless. tube chassis are allowed as long as the tubing is round.

no m.o.a

brushed motors only
bec ok esc anything goes

2 cell lipo or 6 cell stick pack

3 courses 5 gates 5 min.bonus gates when wanted

rules

if your are on your lid and try to right it
you will be charged a reverse if u are over
90 degrees and hit reverse you get reverse
penalty.

if something wasn't touched on answer is no
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default Re: " THE METAMORPHOSIS "

Well, didn't get much play on this rebuild when it was posted. I thought I would atleast show the final product with the body I received today. I did have to order a MIP dig male (front) shaft from TCS due to length issue. The standard length MIP ax10 shafts (Front) a little to long. Other than that, seems that this rig will be very Competative in sportsman. We shall see.
I have to laugh at this whole new Sportsman rule though. After all is said and done on this build. I would say it is not far from where it was before. ( See First picture posted ) LOL !

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 01-31-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Croakin' across the pond!

Default Re: " THE METAMORPHOSIS " Death of the Bodiless Sportsman

Hi Drv

I think that it's very sad that the Frogger has had to go. Personally I don't understand these petty rule changes - i don't see where the advantages come from by running flat sided bodiless. I run Boris for recreation really and so he will survive the cull. In theory though, the Poison Dart will also be illegal. which is a real shame. With me it comes down to looks - I just prefer the look of a bodiless chassis.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Hey Dasher,

I agree fully with you. I really enjoy the "PD" in appearence more then the "OG". I will always keep the "PD" as it is. Regardless of the rule changes put forth.
I will miss the "OG" without question. It was a really performer, the roll over recovery was GREAT ! I will be really curious how this rig will compare to the "OG". I did everything I could to keep it close as possible. WE SHALL SEE.

LONG LIVE THE BODILESS SPORTSMAN !

REST IN PEACE Litoria Xanthomera, You will be missed !
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

What rules does your club use and why dont they use the USRCCA rules for competitions?
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Your club rules are out of the dark ages this is 2012, shafties aren't just for beginners anymore . At most clubs the Sporty Class is a all out balls to the wall comp series for everyone with a shaft truck without a dig.

Enough of the suppression of the Sportsman class it got us absolutely nowhere. Change has come and it's time, the old rules failed us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
This what I was informed of by my local Comps :

Sportsman class rules :

this class is intended for beginner and those of us that have our old digless shafties

tires

there will be NO modifications done to tires. legal tires are
moabs; masher2000; badlands;hammers; losi rock claws; axial rock lizards and tires that came with the kits.

rims

rims must be 2.2 all 4 rims must be same width plastic and aluminium bead locks ok

chassis

the only chassis not allowed are torsion and flat sided bodyless. tube chassis are allowed as long as the tubing is round.

no m.o.a

brushed motors only
bec ok esc anything goes

2 cell lipo or 6 cell stick pack

3 courses 5 gates 5 min.bonus gates when wanted

rules

if your are on your lid and try to right it
you will be charged a reverse if u are over
90 degrees and hit reverse you get reverse
penalty.

if something wasn't touched on answer is no
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
What rules does your club use and why dont they use the USRCCA rules for competitions?
I am unsure what or why. I had saw one day a few weeks back that they where going to be having a Comp. I posted up if Litoria would work in the "Standard Sportsman". I was told the information contained in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Your club rules are out of the dark ages this is 2012, shafties aren't just for beginners anymore . At most clubs the Sporty Class is a all out balls to the wall comp series for everyone with a shaft truck without a dig.

Enough of the suppression of the Sportsman class it got us absolutely nowhere. Change has come and it's time, the old rules failed us.
I agree, if it was not for these rigs to begin with. Where would our Sport / Passion be today ? I do have and will always have my "PD" for the Pro Sportsman scene. I just did not wish to run both of my crawlers in the "Pro class".
I do realize that we wish to bring new comers into our sport. I also feel that even in the "Beginners class" they should see what is possible. As you can see yes, the rig has upgrades. But, no Dig, rear steer, etc. etc. etc.

The only difference at this point is tire size and a body. The "OG Frogger chassis" used a stock width skid. Now, I have a narrowed chassis with greater triangulation of the lower links.
So in my opinion this rig is now even more of a advantage over other "Standard Sportsman" rigs than it was as a bodiless rig.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Looks mean man!
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking the same thing about those rules even with the talk of removing the bodyless shaftys that happened awhile back i wouldnt have gave mine up for anything i would have just cut a mock body up to fit the body guide lines and pinned it to it and ran it with the slip on body. I'm very new to this sport and tbh i have had my Ass handed to me by bodied trucks even running my bodiless rig we all have bad days. I see no real advantage to the bodiless , My Benders chassis is just as narrow even with a body on it Wraped tight its not a huge diff in width or weight.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Nice rig.

I probably don't need to say what I think about your clubs rules.

Try the Badlands if you get a chance. They've outclimbed pretty much every other tire I've owned.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yes his rig is nice and please Duuuuuuuude express your feelings its not good to hold in feelings lol.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
RCC Addict

First of all thank you for the kind words. Second Please express your feelings. I always like to hear everyones point of view. Especially something we are passionate about.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Second Please express your feelings. I always like to hear everyones point of view.
I don't think you want that mess in your build thread.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I don't think you want that mess in your build thread.

Are you kidding, I loved everything you posted up a while back. I could not stop signing on to see what your next statement was. I LOVED EVERY WORD.
I was concerned at the time as that thread was going on. Then the dust settled I thought it might have blown over. Then I got the hit in my own backyard as of just a few weeks back. I have to admit the first person I thought of was you. ( Don't you dare take that wrong )
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Are you kidding, I loved everything you posted up a while back. I could not stop signing on to see what your next statement was. I LOVED EVERY WORD.
I was concerned at the time as that thread was going on. Then the dust settled I thought it might have blown over. Then I got the hit in my own backyard as of just a few weeks back. I have to admit the first person I thought of was you. ( Don't you dare take that wrong )
That was a bit of madness. That whole thing just punched the right button in me and I went off. For days. I was literally walking around pissed off.

Whether or not the ruling stands bears little impact on me. I spent a good part of last year running my non-dig shafty in the pro class and I have no problem continuing to do so. In fact, this past weekend was the first time I've ever officially competed in sportsman...it wasn't any easier and it wasn't any less intimidating.

Maybe I should change my slogan from "save bodiless sportsman" to "boycott 2.2s".
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

after my first comp this past weekend i really saw no advantage to a bodiless chassis over one with a body. the reasons i went bodiless is i got a great deal on the chassis and the link geometery is outstanding. weight is a little better but once a body is cut up like some i saw this weekend there really isn't that much difference.

i will stand behind a statement i made in another thread that rules NEED to be in place. they need to be there to level the playing field. the ingenuity and creativity should be inside the confines of the rules. with that said, there are quite a few rules that seem ubsurd. i understand trying to get new guys into the sport (and i'm new- less than 6 months in hobby) but i learned more this last weekend than i've learned in the last 6 months. after seeing the setups, talking to guys with tons of experience, and seeing equipment that i had only read about i know know what i need to do/work on to get my rig on the same field. all the guys at the comp were within the rules, and the little things they have done over the years really showed up in their performance.

wouldn't a better rule be body or no body, but if you have more than 2 years experience you gotta drive either with one 1.9 wheel/tire on the front (shane!) or ya gotta drive left handed!! if we are gonna get ignorant lets get REAL IGNORANT!
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
after my first comp this past weekend i really saw no advantage to a bodiless chassis over one with a body. the reasons i went bodiless is i got a great deal on the chassis and the link geometery is outstanding. weight is a little better but once a body is cut up like some i saw this weekend there really isn't that much difference.

i will stand behind a statement i made in another thread that rules NEED to be in place. they need to be there to level the playing field. the ingenuity and creativity should be inside the confines of the rules. with that said, there are quite a few rules that seem ubsurd. i understand trying to get new guys into the sport (and i'm new- less than 6 months in hobby) but i learned more this last weekend than i've learned in the last 6 months. after seeing the setups, talking to guys with tons of experience, and seeing equipment that i had only read about i know know what i need to do/work on to get my rig on the same field. all the guys at the comp were within the rules, and the little things they have done over the years really showed up in their performance.

wouldn't a better rule be body or no body, but if you have more than 2 years experience you gotta drive either with one 1.9 wheel/tire on the front (shane!) or ya gotta drive left handed!! if we are gonna get ignorant lets get REAL IGNORANT!
I agree with the fact, you really did not see a advantage of Bodiless over bodied. My point being just that. My "OG Frogger" used basically the same link mounting points as a Stock Ax10. Right down to the skid plate. Now I have a Narrowed chassis with greater Triangulation. I guess my question is what advantage did I really have with the "OG Frogger" ? I just wish I had this new rig side by side with my "OG" when she was assembled. Oh and through in a Stock Ax10 build in with the mix.

" THE METAMORPHOSIS " Death of the Bodiless Sportsman - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM
"brushless review "ccmicro pro" vs "novak mong". ROLANDROCKSHOP Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 22 11-15-2009 08:27 PM