Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: TC's "Old School" Sportsman Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: TC's "Old School" Sportsman Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Oh and TC... nice job on the track width. I was expecting it to be wider. Do you have any side shots showing the belly clearance?
I've got a little bit. Geometry has changed a slightly since this pic was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Hey T.C. have you tried the 6.0" Closed Cell inner foams I sent you for the rear of 5.5 yet?
Very little because I still haven't gotten my ESC back for the comp truck from castle. I'll be reinstalling the FXR's for tomorrows comp tonight. I did a little with this truck and I've only been able to make one observation. If the you are running on rip rap rock (smaller pieces stacked, lots of cracks, etc.) instead of solid rock (bolders, large open faces, etc.) you really have to be careful with your placement. I run on scrape rock here given the lack of natural rock and if I accidentally drive that rear end into a crack, there's no getting through. I'll have a better review once my comp truck is in one piece.

Last edited by TC09mini; 03-02-2012 at 06:42 AM.
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09mini View Post
you really have to be careful with your placement.
That's a pretty good rule to follow in general for this class...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Another small update, there was a lot of talk in the XR section about knuckle weights vs. wheel weights and the pros and cons of each. After getting my comp truck back in one piece, I put the knuckles back on that truck and installed the DH's on this truck. Where there was not difference really on my XR, this truck REALLY woke up. I'm glad I didn't drop the money on the new knuckles for this truck because I'm going to run wheel weights. I think because there is less weight on the front axle, and more suspended, this truck really seemed to be able throw things around. It greatly reduced my turning radius.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That's a pretty good rule to follow in general for this class...
true, but I talking about the rear tires on, not only this truck, but the comp truck. I saw a little of this in Lafayette with the original protos. Shell can speak to this, the truck just could not get through the gate without wasting the time forcing an xr where only a berg should go! (PS, it survived and scraped through beautifully.)

Last edited by TC09mini; 03-02-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
forcing and xr where only a berg should go!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #66
RCC Addict

After a less that stelar debut performance, torque twist abound, I've done a few mods to greatly reduce its affects.

For the rear, I spaced the uppers at the axle. For shocks, I've gone to big bores on all four corners. Drivers rear has a rear mini T blue spring and passenger rear as a green. I didn't have a heavy enough spring for the losi shocks so I swapped them out. I'd rather run these anyways. These springs seem to keep the rear planted much better. Also, you can see I mirrored the transmission.

To save a little sprung weight, I made a small tray out of 1mm delrin and put the receiver and ESC off the front axle. Lost some weight with the BWD electronic's tray. I tried Maroon springs, but they seemed too heavy so I'm running Pinks up front.

I Also spaced the front uppers at the axle a little bit.

It looks like I may have bent the screws holding the front upper link mounts on.

Last edited by TC09mini; 03-04-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I see you have both your front and rear axles clocked way up. I know its for clearance, but a smart guy from texas told me once to run my pinion angle flat. I thought he was just trying to F with me, but i tried it anyway. It completely got rid of all torque twist. Now, i dont know if there was some geometry setup involved or what, but since then i have set all my shaft rigs with flat pinions and torque twist hasnt been an issue since. Its a definite trade off, but well worth it in my opinion.....try it.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

great build TC!! Couple of questions for you.

1) what width hubs are you running on the wheels to get out to 10-5/16?
2) The trans. being mirrored puts the spur gear to the back?
3) Are you running stock length XR axles or did you cut them down?
4) Do the longer beefy toobs have splines for the chubs or does the screw just hold them on?

I always thought mirrored put the spur gear to the front

I'm finally going to get mine all put together (or shell is really, THANKS!) and I thought my trans. was already mirrored. If it's not i'd like to just get that out the way.
SI10 LAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
I see you have both your front and rear axles clocked way up. I know its for clearance, but a smart guy from texas told me once to run my pinion angle flat. I thought he was just trying to F with me, but i tried it anyway. It completely got rid of all torque twist. Now, i dont know if there was some geometry setup involved or what, but since then i have set all my shaft rigs with flat pinions and torque twist hasnt been an issue since. Its a definite trade off, but well worth it in my opinion.....try it.
Thanks, I'll have to. I've changed the rear springs again to green on the driver and silver passenger. Things seem to be alright at this point, but I will be giving this a try when I get back from AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI10 LAN View Post
great build TC!! Couple of questions for you.

1) what width hubs are you running on the wheels to get out to 10-5/16?
2) The trans. being mirrored puts the spur gear to the back?
3) Are you running stock length XR axles or did you cut them down?
4) Do the longer beefy toobs have splines for the chubs or does the screw just hold them on?

I always thought mirrored put the spur gear to the front

I'm finally going to get mine all put together (or shell is really, THANKS!) and I thought my trans. was already mirrored. If it's not i'd like to just get that out the way.
1. 725 Rear hubs and HR axles and lock outs. The HR shafts are a bit longer. They make them wider if that is your thing.

2. Yes, its out back so that the motor weight is more forward on the passenger. Having the weight on that side helps combat torque twist.

3. Stock length, no mods at all.

4. Just screw in with a health amount of lock tight.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TC09mini; 03-10-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to. I've changed the rear springs again to green on the driver and silver passenger. Things seem to be alright at this point, but I will be giving this a try when I get back from AZ.
Cool. Keep the updates coming. I'm curious to find out if you have the same results that I did.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #71
RCC Addict

This truck is going up for sale. After ECC, I'm closing up shop for a little while.

TC's "Old School" Sportsman Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TC's CDW Chump RT build/re-build TC09mini Axial XR10 250 09-14-2012 12:42 PM
BuckImod's Sportsman Rebuild! BuckImod Axial AX-10 Scorpion 78 08-25-2012 04:37 PM
TC's GC-3A Build TC09mini Axial AX-10 Scorpion 111 06-16-2011 10:55 PM
fred0000's sportsman build fred0000 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 118 05-13-2011 11:29 PM
My first sportsman build adamargue HPI Wheely King 45 04-13-2011 07:21 AM