Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Drive way too fast question and front locker question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Drive way too fast question and front locker question.

I bought my 1st Ax10 from ebay and it was an RTC type. Stock everything to the body.

It drives too fast. When I mean it drives too fast, I mean it will do a 3 wheelie and makes it hard for me to crawl anything. I was wondering what does the Ax10 RTC comes stock as far as gearing and motor type? Is there any way I can slower it down some. Just enough to be able to crawl.

I don't know if this is stock but my rear axles are locked and my front axles are not, they are open diff. Please let me know if that is how they come. I want to lock the front. It crawl badly with open front diff.

What do I need to get my front axle to be locked?

What do I need to do or get to slower down my speed?
Mr.JayDeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Drive way too fast question and front locker question.

I'm sorry, its an RTR after I did some research. What do I need to do to convert it to a RTC?

55T axial motor and set of cross looking steel axial lockers should do me fine, correct?

Last edited by Mr.JayDeeM; 02-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

that will slow you down. My RTR came with a 27 turn motor and open front diff. The "maltese cross" locker is axials heavyduty locker.
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Is there another suggestion for slowing down? I'm new to this whole building myself thing. I've been using my buddy crawler to test out on before buying and ended up liking it. His was slow but not too slow.

So, 55t axial motor and the set of maltese cross locker will do it. Should I go ahead put the cross in the rear as well? What kind of grase should I use for the diffs?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JayDeeM View Post
I'm sorry, its an RTR after I did some research. What do I need to do to convert it to a RTC?

55T axial motor and set of cross looking steel axial lockers should do me fine, correct?
Those two will do fine, what do you plan on doing? There are multiple ways you can set it up, If it's just for bashing/ light crawling those will do just fine
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Those two will do fine, what do you plan on doing? There are multiple ways you can set it up, If it's just for bashing/ light crawling those will do just fine

I want to strictly crawling. I want to be able to climb rocks and what not. Also I notice my suspension set up is a little way to stiff.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Is 35t reasonable?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

35 turn will work well. Axial has springs alot softer than RTR springs. Axials site has them listed by color coding. Usingn softer springs will definately help to soften up your suspension. I believe i used their softest springs on the fron and second softest on the rear. Also, better tires will make a world of differance. Rovers or sedonas seem to be the big names right now.
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Now, I gotta decide which motor to go. I never experience either turn motors. 55t or 35t. i will check my local hobby shop to see if they carry any axial springs and what not.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Just try using a smaller pinion on the motor. 12t with a 27 would crawl nicely. Pinons are cheap.
Get new springs or cut a couple rings off them.
Heating them up (dull red work from middle out to ends) will soften them as well. Then just spray plastidip on them to cover the metal.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon7 View Post
Just try using a smaller pinion on the motor. .
I was also curious as to what he was running for gearing...also Jay, what are you running for a battery? Lower the voltage and that will also slow you down.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon7 View Post
Just try using a smaller pinion on the motor. 12t with a 27 would crawl nicely. Pinons are cheap.
Get new springs or cut a couple rings off them.
Heating them up (dull red work from middle out to ends) will soften them as well. Then just spray plastidip on them to cover the metal.
That would be my next question is the pinon. Mine is a 27T with 20 pinion and 87 spur. If i put a bigger pinon, it doesnt seem like it would have enough room to adjust the motor back and forth?

Won't I loose ride height if I cut a coil off? I don't see how it will make the spring softer. This could be a cheap mod until I get new springs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I was also curious as to what he was running for gearing...also Jay, what are you running for a battery? Lower the voltage and that will also slow you down.
I'm not sure what battery it is. It belongs to a buddy of mine, he letting me borrowing it until then. How would I lower the voltage?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Drive way too fast question and front locker question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JayDeeM View Post
That would be my next question is the pinon. Mine is a 27T with 20 pinion and 87 spur. If i put a bigger pinon, it doesnt seem like it would have enough room to adjust the motor back and forth?

You need a smaller pinion to go slower, try a smaller pinion, you may not even need a new motor. Try a 18 tooth.

Won't I loose ride height if I cut a coil off? I don't see how it will make the spring softer. This could be a cheap mod until I get new springs..

Yep, and for crawling that is a good thing, but don't waste your time cutting the stiff stockers, try taking the springs out completly, it will surprise you how much better it crawls.

I'm not sure what battery it is. It belongs to a buddy of mine, he letting me borrowing it until then. How would I lower the voltage?
7.2V is 6 cells
8.4V is 7 cells
9.6V is 8 cells

I ran a 27T motor and 18T pinion to crawl with a 8 cell 9.6V. You prob have a 6 or 7 cell, you will be fine once you drop your pinion size and get softer shocks.

slow crawling is fun, but wheelspeed can help too, finding a happy medium will work great.
nut_up_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut_up_racing View Post
7.2V is 6 cells
8.4V is 7 cells
9.6V is 8 cells

I ran a 27T motor and 18T pinion to crawl with a 8 cell 9.6V. You prob have a 6 or 7 cell, you will be fine once you drop your pinion size and get softer shocks.

slow crawling is fun, but wheelspeed can help too, finding a happy medium will work great.
Where's the best place to find pinions? Also how would i go around removing one and installing one, hex screw on the side I assume?

I did some mods today after work. I took apart my front axle to lock the axles. I took it apart and clean off all the grease good, then I used SEM quick set 50 glue to fill in my carrier and wait about 3 mins then it was hard enough to install it back together. Voila, got me a free home brew locker for the front.

Then I took all my wheels off and drill one hole on the back side of the wheel to let air out. It made an world of a difference. Tires are soft enough. They will do for now until then. The stiff springs still sorta hold it back. I'm thinking about adding weights in each wheel to see how much it helps before considering spring work.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #15

In stock form the ax10's are not great crawlers, the previous owner has probably changed the gearing to give it some momentum to get up obstacles it could not crawl. Maybe just get the front locker and see how it goes from there...
bamr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

My buddy rig is 55t, 14 pinion and 87 spur.

Drive way too fast question and front locker question. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
creeper locker question twacrawler Venom Creeper 11 05-05-2011 07:49 PM
Diff Locker Question DezertCrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 04-18-2011 11:04 PM
mrc locker question joshlg06 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 04-17-2011 12:17 AM
Question on Diff Locker EvoChaos Axial SCX-10 5 03-22-2011 03:34 PM
AX-10 axle locker question the02stangman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 12-24-2009 09:57 AM