Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: I need some help identifying exactly what I have here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Default I need some help identifying exactly what I have here

I'm kind of a newb here, but not new to RC, I used to work at the local hobby shop when I was in high school, but that was over a decade ago. I've been out of the game for a bit. I bought/got a used AX-10 for Christmas and had it sent out here to Afghaniland (great crawling 10 steps out our tent door).

I just want some help ID'ing the parts on it. I got it from a guy that didn't really know what all it had because he took it in trade for something else and isn't really into RCs.

I found some time between missions yesterday and I put the 3S and Castle BEC in it, I know it has a brushed 55t motor running off a Castle SV2, I have a Castle Link for programming and am thinking of dropping in a 17.5t brushless to see what it'll do as it's just so damn slow when not doing extremely technical crawling.
It has a Warthog chassis which I'm contemplating ditching to go a more scale route. PM me if you're interested!

HBZ Warthog chassis
Castle Creations sidewinder v2 esc
Team Integy steering links
Team Integy 55 turn rock crawler motor
Hitec Hs-645mg steering servo
Front dig kit dont know who its made by looks nice though with Airtronic servo
Power Racing 2.4ghz 3 channel radio system
Axial Bender customs 4 link plate
Axial lexan upper link plate
Axial high clearance links
Axial Aluminum Rear Axle Lock-out
Proline beadlocks with weights
Proline Hammer tires
Front Axle 4 link plate
Metal drive shafts

My main questions are what other obvious mods do you see besides what I've listed, and what should I improve right off the bat? I am going to do some limiting straps and I need to probably upgrade the plastic rod ends on the links, I've already broken one of the rear lowers .
Anyone know what these shocks are? They have no oil in them at all! I found out why they don't right after I filled one up and compressed it! I'd like to either upgrade shocks, or rebuild these fancy gold anodized ones

Pics:

And if anyone can help me ID this thread pitch so I can order the correct rod ends

Thanks!
bcbsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: I need some help identifying exactly what I have here

I am guessing that is a M3 pitch grub screw. You can try one of the nuts off the screw that mounts the suspension link. If it fits its 3MM.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

First off, thank you for your service.

If that is a set screw, chances are that its m3 as that is what's in the kit. Usually with plastic rodends standard/metric doesn't matter much. For instance traxxas revo rodends are popular with a lot of guys here including myself as they're tough as hell. They use an m4 thread but 8-32 works as well.

As for upgrades, the couple of major ones I can see are the shocks, lower links and tires. Losi or traxxas big bores are the most popular for shocks. For lower links, usually a bit more triangulated helps, basically inboard more at the skid. And tires there are quite a few better options now than hammers, driving style and terrain will dictate in most cases. Just looks like a dated rig but a majority of upgrades are done. I'm sure others will chime in with more opinions.

It's an addiction
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #4

That screw is out of the end of the suspension link. I am ordering some Revo rod ends, thanks Meatwad and looking at shocks. Gotta plug Hobby People for their free APO shipping
How would you recommend inboarding my lower links? It doesn't look like it can be easily done, at least without some materials and some fab work (both hard to come by out here).
I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Delrin Dual Triangulation Skid Plate for AX-10 Rock Crawlers

There's one that works with the stock chassis plates, there are more from what I remember. In the future if you decide on another chassis altogether, it'll be more built into the design. Browse around in the ax10 section too. Honestly its been awhile for myself since finding scalers

Remember those revo rodends are considered an upgrade that won't work with the stock m3 setscrews that are in the stock links, you''ll need to either make new links or get some beefier links that use bigger hardware. Browse the vendor section as well as they have tons for the ax10. The sportsman class is alive and well.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Also that esc is not compatible with censored brushless motors so if you want it to only go fast then go with the 17.5 but if you want speed and low end control check out Holmes Hobbies for their motors. And thank you very much for your service.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Also that esc is not compatible with censored brushless motors so if you want it to only go fast then go with the 17.5 but if you want speed and low end control check out Holmes Hobbies for their motors. And thank you very much for your service.

Thanks.

I have a complete (Hobbywing esc and 17.5t bl combo that I've run pretty hard in a Stampede with zero problems), I'll probably toss that in and see how it goes. Might have to gear it down a bit to keep the speed down.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Ok good luck and have fun.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #9

Any clue what shocks these are? They are roughly 5" eye-eye and are anodized gold. I'd like to order a rebuild kit for them if possible.

Is there an easy way to shorten the wheelbase a little (.75")? I'm also thinking about lowering it a bit with some softer springs as right now it sits almost all the way at the top of the travel.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
Try to Bend it

You can shorten the wheel base by shortening the upper and lower links. Start by taking a little off the front and rear lowers until you get the desired length and then do the uppers. When you are doing the uppers you can also set the pinion angle at the dif to gain some needed clearance. No Idea on the shocks but you could always try internally limiting them. with some plastic fuel tube or the like.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
no talent hack

stock berg shocks
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbsox View Post
Thanks.

I have a complete (Hobbywing esc and 17.5t bl combo that I've run pretty hard in a Stampede with zero problems), I'll probably toss that in and see how it goes. Might have to gear it down a bit to keep the speed down.

I finally got my new Castle 10a BEC in the mail over here, my previous one released the magic smoke for some reason... I installed the new one, everything is good to go. The Hobby Wing EZ-Run 60a 17.5t 3300kv brushless combo with I think was a 10t pinion is perfect, plenty of smooth low speed with more than enough wheel speed for some of the looser terrain. The old motor actually was an Integy 65t, that thing had some balls, but was painfully slow. I pulled the SV2 and popped it and a 4800kv motor from my battle buddy's 1/12 HPI Mini Trophy Truck into my Stampede XL-5. Really woke that thing up!

Broke an axle shaft today, but that's ok, she's going in the mail tomorrow because we're redeploying soon. I'll order some upgraded shafts and stuff when I get back to Alaska.

I still need to get some new shocks, the oil-less Bergs suck horribly.

I need some help identifying exactly what I have here - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Identifying Motor JeepShaun Electronics 5 11-18-2011 03:35 PM
Identifying a battery DannyDodge Electronics 4 03-03-2011 03:13 PM
identifying buggy izzy Non Crawler RC's 0 04-19-2010 03:32 PM
Help identifying a rig Lankenstein General Scale Talk 3 03-15-2010 12:35 PM
Help Identifying ? hijack Newbie General 1 08-08-2008 11:19 AM