Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Strong CVD's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Strong CVD's

lol nope just saying i have never heard the terms interchanged in the south but we are all pretty simple we dont over complicate things and naw no wiki needed for this a axle is a axle and a drive shaft is a drive shaft for all simple purposes. even in front wheel drives carrs that have no drive shafts persay we still call half shaft axles or cvs but i understand what your saying. Since rc shaftys are more like a true 4x4 drive shafts are drive shafts and axle shafts are axle shafts and in a moa its more like a cv axle/drive shafts kinda like a front wheel drive car.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
I have always used driveshaft and axleshaft interchangeably (and read as such) when dealing with a transaxle. Driveshaft is a very general term, especially if you leave cars a trucks. An axle shaft is a kind of drive shaft!

Anyway, if I had to bet money on it I'd guess it has to do with marketing a CV joint in the axles or a lack of CV joints in driveshafts at the time the term was popularized.

Did the forum automatically highlight and link those words? Is a wiki coming in the future? This could be super exciting!

Or maybe it's because mechanics commonly refer to the axleshafts with CV joints as "CV shafts".
Ok in my experience and I'm still not trying to hijack here, but in a 1:1 aspect a cv is the axle shaft in a independent suspension and a axle shaft is a long shaft in the axle tube that goes from the hub to the outer knuckles either solid or steering. A driveshaft is what provides the power from the transfer case or transmission to the suspension points that contains the axles. I have never heard them called anything different any where else in the country. One of the best suspension builders Shannon Campbell still uses the industry standard terminology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Shelby View Post
lol nope just saying i have never heard the terms interchanged in the south but we are all pretty simple we dont over complicate things and naw no wiki needed for this a axle is a axle and a drive shaft is a drive shaft for all simple purposes. even in front wheel drives carrs that have no drive shafts persay we still call half shaft axles or cvs but i understand what your saying. Since rc shaftys are more like a true 4x4 drive shafts are drive shafts and axle shafts are axle shafts and in a moa its more like a cv axle/drive shafts kinda like a front wheel drive car.
Totally agree with you on this one.Again I'm sorry for what seems to be a hijack.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #23

The (cv) is referring to the type of joint. Axle shafts and drive shafts can have cv joints or u-joints. Also 1:1s their are some 4x4s with solid differentials that have cv's or a type of cv like toyota's. They have birfields and they look just like 300s. The only difference is rc cvs(300) have a pin, and the 1:1s have balls, a cage and star.
ffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

hopefully we have that out of the way now and we can get back to finding out what's the strongest outside of sds300s for our purpose
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I am tired of breaking Mip cvd's and also Axial cvd's. How many people have shortened xr10 universals to work in axial axles? Are they any stronger?
Onebdgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddawg View Post
hopefully we have that out of the way now and we can get back to finding out what's the strongest outside of sds300s for our purpose
Dude got everything answered about CVDriveshaftaxlesandwhanots...without needing to search. Next time he has a question he'll get flamed by the same mugs for not searching... This is how a well oiled machine works, take note.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebdgti View Post
I am tired of breaking Mip cvd's and also Axial cvd's. How many people have shortened xr10 universals to work in axial axles? Are they any stronger?
Couple guys have them in their scalers, Emaxx motors on 3 and 4s and they stay together from what I've seen so far.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

With my experience if you are not going to go to 300's or XR10 axle shafts then stay with the stock dogbones. They are by far stronger than any of the other CVD's.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebdgti View Post
Anyone ever done this and if so can you link the thread on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
Dude got everything answered about CVDriveshaftaxlesandwhanots...without needing to search. Next time he has a question he'll get flamed by the same mugs for not searching... This is how a well oiled machine works, take note.
First off i did a search and read numerous threads on the subject. But like 2006shelby said earlier we in the south are simple and like things cut and dry. After reading the other threads I was still just as confused as i was before. maybe its me maybe its not. either way when you try to post an answer to a question try and remember that statistically humans don't retain anything written above a 5th grade level and that lawyer documents, as confusing as they are, are technically written at a 12th grade level. Simplify your answers as much as possible and stop making it sound like your ("your" is used in context as a general term) smarter than you(again in general) really are.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrbd1 View Post
With my experience if you are not going to go to 300's or XR10 axle shafts then stay with the stock dogbones. They are by far stronger than any of the other CVD's.
how strong are the xr10s compared to stock dog bones?
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

The xr 10 universals are rather strong from what i can tell.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

I run 1st design RC4WD XVD's. Been going strong for two years now.
I ran them in my comp rig for a year and they were put in my scale truck in November 2010.
I've never run Axial CVD's, but the MIP CVD's are junk.
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Shelby View Post
The xr 10 universals are rather strong from what i can tell.
how hard is it to modify them to fit?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhd04 View Post
how hard is it to modify them to fit?

If you run long beef tubes, they don't require modifying. If you run Standard tubes, you need to shorten each 11mm(ircc) and regrind the locker flats. Its not very hard, can be done with a hand saw and file.

Obviously, you also need to change to xr10 chubs and knuckles.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
If you run long beef tubes, they don't require modifying. If you run Standard tubes, you need to shorten each 11mm(ircc) and regrind the locker flats. Its not very hard, can be done with a hand saw and file.

Obviously, you also need to change to xr10 chubs and knuckles.
will the xr10 high clearance knuckles work with the bta kit for the ax10. im trying to get ducks in a row before i waste money. luckily 2006shelby keeps beating me to the punch with the correct questions so i keep learning from him on this.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrbd1 View Post

whre can i find those 300?and another alternative for 300?

Last edited by Kitty; 04-14-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Strong CVD's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
servo doesn't seem as strong as it should mckenzies Electronics 9 06-03-2010 10:57 AM
motor not strong enough. slvrf150fx4 Newbie General 6 05-20-2007 03:27 PM
how strong partylikarockstar Newbie General 4 11-25-2006 02:35 PM